Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i found a problem with the aero design of the rio. driving at 70+ with just the driver's side window down causing a wind buffeting that is downright brutal, making your ears pop.

if the pass side window is down, even a little bit, it will calm, but not cure the buffeting. i was playing around with different positions of my hand to change the airflow, and found that just putting my elbow on the sill stopped the buffeting.

i plan on buying some wind deflectors, and am thinking that they should change the airflow enough to stop the buffeting. does anyone have a set that they could comment on?

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
design flaw?
what are you talking about?? Who would be driving at 70 MPH with windows down?
OF COURSE it will be loud and will try to rip you apart, because you are moving at 70 MPH through air. Extend your arm and you will see what forces those are.
Then, think how much air is compressed on the windshield, and so on...

Nowadays cars are made to be the least resistant to air. This causes some special design of sides of the car what results in air "intake" with windows open. Look closely on the design of side windows. They are not straight (line of the car). That's why you just get so much air into the car.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
design flaw?
what are you talking about?? Who would be driving at 70 MPH with windows down?
who? me. i have windows, so i use them. it has not been hot enough to warrant a/c where i am, so yes, i use the windows.

the buffeting is the worst i have ever seen, and i have had a LOT of vehicles. forget noise, the buffeting makes the interior pressure change WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP, and it hurts my ears. it is not just me, wifey had it happen with the window partially down on the interstate. don't get me wrong, i love the car, but i need to so something to change the airflow, even ever so slightly, to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
who? me. i have windows, so i use them. it has not been hot enough to warrant a/c where i am, so yes, i use the windows.

the buffeting is the worst i have ever seen, and i have had a LOT of vehicles. forget noise, the buffeting makes the interior pressure change WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP, and it hurts my ears. it is not just me, wifey had it happen with the window partially down on the interstate. don't get me wrong, i love the car, but i need to so something to change the airflow, even ever so slightly, to resolve the issue.
I have experienced this with virtually every car I've had....but only when the BACK windows are down and the front are up. Since I don't have my Rio yet I can't comment whether this is a common issue.

As for driving with the window down at 70mph, I do that quite often. Right now I have window visors on my Versa and they greatly minimize the wind and noise in the car with the front windows down.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
It's a bad idea to drive with windows down at 70 mph, its not fuel efficient and causes excessive drag. You will get all sorts of back flow and noise at that speed, being partially offset by adjusting other windows, not worth it, turn on the a/c that's what its there for or if not hot enough open up the dash vents and turn on your fan. Don't forget a/c does not have to be run on complete ice cold, that why you have a temperature adjustment knob. I run a/c in winter to remove moisture from inside the vehicle is not cold then but its functioning.
The more aerodynamic the vehicle, the worse this will be as its all taken into account in the overall design in wind tunnel testing. Older vehicles wouldn't react the same as this was not a requirement.

It's not a design flaw - its a design improvement!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
great... another one that says i shouldn't open my windows... they why do they have cranks??? and they have to teach me on the basics of automotive operation. i have been in automotive for 20+ years, so i get how the car works, thanks.

is it me, or people that DO NOT own a 12 rio have been saying it is not a flaw? :p out of the 100 cars i have had, this one by far has the worst wind buffeting. i like to drive with the windows down occasionally, and i guess i will have to purchase vent visors to do this.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts

Had this happen with any SINGLE window open in the Sorento.
Have this happen with any SINGLE REAR window open in the Octavia.
Simple solution: Open both windows on the side you want to open. This'll also stop your hair being blown about.

Open both windows and fold your mirrors in for an excellent hair dryer.

great... another one that says i shouldn't open my windows... they why do they have cranks??? and they have to teach me on the basics of automotive operation. i have been in automotive for 20+ years, so i get how the car works, thanks.

is it me, or people that DO NOT own a 12 rio have been saying it is not a flaw? :p out of the 100 cars i have had, this one by far has the worst wind buffeting. i like to drive with the windows down occasionally, and i guess i will have to purchase vent visors to do this.
I *almost* blew an ear drum because of the buffeting at 120km/h in the Sorento.
Doctors cert. and everything.
All 4 windows had visors.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Answer: sunroof

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Simple solution: Open both windows on the side you want to open. This'll also stop your hair being blown about.
I *almost* blew an ear drum because of the buffeting at 120km/h in the Sorento.

i don't have any hair, so this is a non issue. :D

again, the buffeting is a massive pressure change back and forth making my ears hurt, probably similiar to your eardrum problem. it is not a "wind blowing things around" issue.

Open both windows and fold your mirrors in for an excellent hair dryer.
i only fold the mirrors in when i am sliding the car around...

Answer: sunroof
ah, a $800 cut a hole in the roof option. i will try vent visors first.

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
My Infiniti G20 if you would crack open the two back windows only about 2 inches it would sound like a cargo helicopter was about to land on your head. The pressure difference was bad enough it my wife had to shut them as they hurt her ears.

Design flaw.. I don't think that is something on the punch list for the deisgner when the car is undergoing wind tunnel testing?

"Hey, someone open the windows now and lets see what it does!"

"Oh crap, back to the drawing board.."

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
great... another one that says i shouldn't open my windows... they why do they have cranks??
yes, you should, but nobody even thinks about designing a car to be quiet while driving 70 MPH with open windows... as this is not its design

i have been in automotive for 20+ years, so i get how the car works, thanks.
it does not matter how long you have been in the market. It matters what you learned and how smart you are. I personally know a few people who have been around 30 years and they still lack of basic knowledge...

Let me repeat again - to GET the best fuel economy the car was tested and design to drive with CLOSED windows.
Did you even read my post?

Look on the sides of the Rio. Compare to the older versions. They had almost straight sides, while most KIAs now have cruved windows and sides (and doors) to create the least resistance to air.
Therefore, low fuel use.

And NO, this is not a design flaw. Sun visors may solve problem only to this extend where they cover the edge next to the center beam/pillar. Unless the air will deflect from the front far enough to miss the pillar...

Imagine this: air gets pushed into the car, when it compresses too much, it tries to get out; then it comes back because pressure is low enough... and so on. That's why you hear what you hear. And do NOT compare cars you have owned previously, because this is like comparing you to another mechanic... there is no flaw. Just different approach. Some cars could sacrifice fuel efficiency to get quiet ride at 70 MPH. Means: convertibles.

·
Registered
2011 Soul
75 Posts
No one should drive a car at 70 MPH with open windows unless you have the back window removed. There isn't a car out there that won't do this exact same thing with windows down at that speed.

Also, I'm amazed at how people still don't understand that running the AC once you reach about 40 MPH uses less gas than having open window(s). The drag the air creates will kill your gas mileage a lot more than AC will.

Like someone else stated, having the AC on doesn't mean you have to blast air super cold. The car does have a feature that allows you to control the temperature.

I'm going to call this as I see it...doing 70 with open windows is just asinine.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts

we are not saying don't open your windows, we are just saying don't do it at Highway speeds and we are saying its not a design flaw, many other current cars do the same thing.
I have a sun roof but I wouldn't open it at highway speeds (100 kmph +), but I can use all the other times.

Simple - if you get wind buffeting or its too noisy, close them - its not rocket science! :D But then again, if you want to suffer go ahead its your choice, you ask for comments so we are giving it, sorry you don't like the answers.

Remember your side visors will only allow you to open it 1-2", however from my experience at highway speeds you will not notice anything other than maybe a little more outside noise entering the vehicle. They are also handy for parking your car in the summer heat and drop the window a bit under the visor and gives somewhere for the heat to dissipate. Also whenever I park the car at my house (again in summer) and also leave them open under the visor and then I also don't have to worry about a summer shower coming and rushing out to close the windows.
That's the reason I have them on my Soul, I had them on my Rondo for four years and found they were great.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
No one should drive a car at 70 MPH with open windows unless you have the back window removed. There isn't a car out there that won't do this exact same thing with windows down at that speed.
A rather broad statement. My versa does not buffet with the front windows down at highway speed. But it does if the front are up and the back are down. Each car will be different depending upon the aerodynamic design.

Having said that, I don't make a habit of having any windows down at highway speed since it is noisy and windy and generally not a pleasant experience. But I have done it.

Since I've had the window visors I have found that the best use for them is, as conwelpic said, you can leave your widows down a couple of inches in the heat and nobody can tell they are down. Greatly reduces heat build-up in the car.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
I think this is more about the design of the inside of the cabin, rather than the outside body. When 1 set of windows is open, you are pumping air in like crazy, and it has no way to get out, so it pushes itself out through the windows that are pumping air in, this makes a crazy pressure change and the thumping that most cars see in this case. If front and back windows are open, the air flows through the front windows and out the back, eliminating the need for a forced air escape. I haven't seen a car yet that can somehow vent the built up air pressure without the sudden release.

Here is a good article explaining a/c vs. open windows:
Air Conditioning Versus Open Windows : Driving Economically

And here is a good conversation about the back windows open on the highway thumping:
What causes the thumbing noise when only the back window is down?

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
good find LordHelmet, exactly my point. Maybe this will help Rodney's anxiety

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Why do you think Kia's adding a rear hatch release in 2013?

To cure the open window booming at highway speeds!

Problem solved! :lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
awesome. really. i have had over a hundred cars, and NONE of them had this buffeting issue, with just the driver's side window down.

last night on the way home from work, i had the driver's side window open about 5" and it started to happen at 45 mph. yeah, not acceptable. sorry.

sorry to get all the kia fanboy's panties in a bunch, but yes, it is an issue, and i intend to resolve it. i have the window open most of the time, one of the reasons is i like fresh air and i can hear the tire squeal better...

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I have had over a hundred cars, and NONE of them had this buffeting issue, with just the driver's side window down.
Takes all types. Get another car?

By the way, my Cerato doesn't do so well when there's a foot of water over the road. Design flaw? How come those guys in 4WDs can do it?

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I lowered the rear windows today. Yep, it's horrible. I have to say, the problem was almost inexistant in my old Neon. I like the idea of having fresh air coming from the back of the car. I couldn't do this often in my Neon cause only the front windows were powered. In any case, I'm not very concerned by this. So is this a flaw or not? When you're not concerned, you won't call this flaw. As in any other issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts