Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering since they have a decent engine like this if it will ever make it into one of their lighter more aerodynamic cars instead of just the larger Optima or their SUVs?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Would be NICE!!!! Also it could be in the Forte? I have not heard anything yet.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
I've not heard or come across anything on this yet, but I guess its always a possibility, we'll see what surfaces for the 2014 model year once we get the details.
The 2014 Forte is currently only mentioning two engines, 1.8L and a 2.0L GDI, but then they are only mentioning two models at present the LX and EX, no mention of a SX for the sedan.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
The turbo they have currently wont go in the Rio range. They have their turbo engines set for the Soul range (Trakster production version), Pro_ceed GT (VW GTI competitor from Europe Kia) and K3 Koup (not in initial new K3 range)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
a 2 liter turbo in our cars would be stupid. maybe you could do it in your garage but Kia wouldn't sell very many units. the Rio is a good economy car and that's it.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
a 2 liter turbo in our cars would be stupid. maybe you could do it in your garage but Kia wouldn't sell very many units. the Rio is a good economy car and that's it.
I totally disagree. I know that if a 2.0 turbo was available for the Rio I, for one, would have been all over it.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Agree, the Rio is Kia's economical small car. Unlikely to see a 2.0 litre turbo, but could get something a little smaller . . . 1.4, 1.2 turbo?
Economy + grunt = nice drives!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
yea enough of us enthusiasts would be interested. but most Rios I've seen are rental cars or driven by people who just wanted an appliance. a two liter turbo would be cool yes. But it would have to be priced high. probably close to wrx price. not that a turbo is a bad idea but a 2.0 is too much. a proper 2 liter turbo makes 250+ hp. Kia would have to 're engineer the whole car. maybe 1.4 or 1.6 turbo making 200hp would make more sense.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Here is more info on the Turbo Kia's that are coming. At this stage they are Europe only.

Carpoint- Kia confirms hot hatch Pro_Ceed GT for 2013

Image from KoreanCarBlog

They also mention the upcoming K3 Koup Turbo too. The Pro_Ceed GT is pretty much Kia's Veloster with more of a performance focus compared to its Hyundai cousin.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Wondering since they have a decent engine like this if it will ever make it into one of their lighter more aerodynamic cars instead of just the larger Optima or their SUVs?
I think KIA needs to work on a more european suspension and steering system before trying to fit the Rio with a turbo. Right now 138HP is borderline high for the current Rio suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts