Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Rondo LX 6 cylinder this week. Before giving the car to me, the dealer did a quick NY State safety check, and it failed because of some emissions error (I don't know the exact code). There's no dashboard light, the error showed up when hooked to a computer during the test. What their service dept is telling me is that because the car has been sitting undriven for so long, that the gas/exhaust is full of 'junk', causing the error. They poured in some gas cleaner additive, ran it for awhile, and the alert didn't clear. They are telling me that they are "100% sure" it will eventually clear on its own, once it's been driven for so many miles (unclear how many). They can't transfer my old plates onto this car until it passes inspection, so they gave me dealer plates and said to drive it around for 3-4 days, then bring it back to be re-tested.

I'm not a car guy, so my question is, is this true or is this BS? If it's true, how many miles must be driven before the alert clears?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's hard to say; depends on what sort of emission is not to standard. If you are keen to take delivery of the car, a highway run of about 100km might get it into shape. Question is will it pass the test in the future? How often does it have to be tested?

If you can believe the sensors in the car, mixture should be OK. But really, just "standing" shouldn't make it bad.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
go to Autozone or any other car store and get the code cleared.

Yes, if there is no error CEL will clear after several miles/restarts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts