Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The handle broke, $65 for the parts. Anyone else have this happen? I'm not wanting to pay the $105-157 they estimated to do the work. Anyone want a how to if I can do it myself?

BTW, Hello, I've had my '03 Sedona since December 2002.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it is doable but quite tricky. you can replace the silver handle by dismantaling it from colour surrond. take off interior pannel of door and remove surrond and handle together. then dismantle the handle from coloured surrond on a flat surface. this happened to my sliding left side door. had to buy unpainted door handle and surrond i did the above and used the old coloured surround with the new silver handle. overall cost was about 20 pound for the part. hope this helps.

btw my one was a sedona 02 reg should be the same

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a broken exterior handle on my Sedona 2.5l Exec and will need to do the same job myself.
I also live in Essex.
Can you tell me where you got the parts from please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are these handles really broke, or did the pin just fall out? Reason I ask is this just happened to my '03. The handle pulled way out, and I saw that it wasn't broke, just missing the pin that connects it to the mech inside the door. I pulled the int panel off and dropped a nail (yes, a building nail) into the hole. It's worked great and didn't cost a dime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I tried to get into the handle assembly but looked too hard on my first try. But now the other side broke, and no it isn't the pin, it is the plastic piece going around the pin towards the front of the car. So 2 broken handles. I'm going to drive this Korean POS through their building if they don't figure out a way to do it cheap. I've had the car into the shop and with outstanding TSBs on this issue, they should have tried the door and seen that it was sticking. I didn't bother to tell them about it because I thought it was just a wd-40 issue, boy was I wrong, now at 65,xxx miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine one also broken due to force open by my wife but she did't know that it put on child lock will cost me rm180.00

kia carnival 2001

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just had this done on my 2003 sedona. It cost me $270 at the dealership for parts, labor and painting the handle. They dont sell the crome part by itself , thats why the price was so high. I could have done the install myself but my wife was afraid i would mess it up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hmm, most all said.
The pin breaking/falling out apparently is common.

The access by removing interior trim can be tricky as sometimes the door glass bonding
goo sticks along the bottom of glass to trim panel...

If no wrecker part option.
I glued mine back together with some broken bits of hacksaw blade (shoved ingto the slots) & a screw cast into a drilled hole, all bonded up with epoxy glue.
Frankly I'm still amazed its withstood the 5 kids.

Wreckers get too greedy sometimes !

·
Banned
468 Posts
Hi Just done one of mine the silver part broke. I got a new unpainted one from the Kia dealer £43 or there abouts . I had the idea to just take it off complete and change the silver part but mine is a 2000 model and the new one (the silver part) is a larger diameter than the old one so I guess they did an upgrade to the handle at some time. It took around 20 mins to change

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a solution!

Are these handles really broke, or did the pin just fall out? Reason I ask is this just happened to my '03. The handle pulled way out, and I saw that it wasn't broke, just missing the pin that connects it to the mech inside the door. I pulled the int panel off and dropped a nail (yes, a building nail) into the hole. It's worked great and didn't cost a dime.
You are a star, I've just used your trick with a standard nail and it's fixed, it's saved me £30-40! Very pleased. Thank you for sharing. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts