Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have seen the new 2014 Sorento an seems to be attractive..... I currently have a 2010 Toyota Venza V6 with Navi and I have a high interest in replacing it once the lease is up. I hope you all can share your experiecxe on your Sorento, and also tell me why I should pick Sorento oner other SUV in the market..... I am interested in the new SX model.

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
9 Posts
I just traded in my beloved Audi a6 for a '13 sorento sx. Loved everything about the a6 except I had terrible experiences from the 2 dealerships close to me and buying a new one and going to them for service was not something I wanted to do. (Literally the work they did created 6k in damages forcing the dales)

What that has with a sorento is the following.... I had rented a sorento and really liked everything about it. My comment to my wife was--wow it feels just like an Audi. It's almost like they modeled it after one. It made so much of an impression I researched it and found out their head designer was recruited from Audi! Now it all made sense.

My only gripe with it was that the rental was a little underpowered but that was because I was used to twin turbos on a v6 and the rental had a 4 cylinder. The sx solved that.

When I found out we needed a new car my wife was looking at the Lexus gs, muranos, and the Lexus rx. (The car is her daily driver). I have a Lexus as well. We are not status people but have become accustomed to the fit and finish of luxury cars. Crazy thing is the Kia easily stayed in class with them with fantastic fit and finish. And had all the bells and whistles at so much less of a cost. And even had a third row of seats which non others had.

I have had the car for 4 months now and am still very Impressed. The few shortcomings (which were mostly bells and whistles that's were nice to haves) are now available on the '14 sx. Looks are great on the sx and I really appreciated the all wheel drive this year in some pretty heavy snow.

One last thing that said a lot to me. I looked up the residual car value for a 2013 a6 and 2013 sorento and after 5 years they are expected to be worth within $1000 dollars of each other with the a6 costing 20k more to start! This does not include maintenance which is more on the a6 with comparable reliability.

Oh, and it is made in the USA!

I hope that helps

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
Honestly for me it was a money issue and the need to replace an aging vehicle for my wife right away. I have for 40 years now been a died in the wool Chevrolet man, we have had many Corvettes, trucks, an S-10 Blazer, and various Chevrolet muscle cars over the years. We went to the local Chevrolet dealer and looked at the Equinox....totally unimpressed for what you got for your money, as well as fit and finish. We looked at the other US made suv's as well...nothing reallystruck us, my wife's best friend has a year old Hyundia Santa Fe, and she loves it, and my wife does too. We looked at the Hyundias and the pricing was just a bit more than we wanted to spend for one with leather interior. We went by Toyota and found that we would have had to gone with a Rav4 to be in our targeted price range...wife did not care for the Rav at all.
I suggested to her that we try Kia, we have the number one selling Kia dealership in the united states, about 15 miles from the house, Fucilllo Kia of Cape Coral FL....the place is HUGE (locals will the huge reference) ...and we have a smaller Kia dealership about 5 miles from the house, we went tomthe smaller dealership and looked around, my wife loved the Snow White Pearl Sorento sitting on the lot. Long story shorter..any hour or so later , we drove offnin the sorento....my first feeling sitting signing paperwork was that I was a traitor and that I had justnsettled for less. Nothing could be farther from the truth...this one fantastic automobile, it drives great, has large interior room feel...has all the whistles an bells anyone could want. The fit. The finish and overall impression of this car, after owning it for a month is we so glad we made the purchase...Kia has a new customer, and a new cheerleader!!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
123 Posts
Screems, I know how you felt, except that I've always been a Ford man. ;)

One day last spring, out of the blue my wife said that she wanted to replace our 12-year-old Sport Trac (which was still in great condition) with a new Kia Sorento SX. I was floored! I barely knew what a Sorento was, but after a lot of research and a couple test drives, I was convinced.

The people at the dealership (RK KIa in Vineland, NJ) couldn't be nicer, and I almost couldn't be happier with the Kia... I say almost because, like a lot of other owners, I'm not a big fan of the nav system, but I love everything else about it.

It's comfortable, roomy, handles well, stops amazingly well, the V6 has plenty of torque and the 6-speed auto always seems to be in the right gear. We're averaging around 23 MPG, which is a little less than I expected, but is still 5 MPG better than the Sport Trac got.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll start this out with the honest truth that anyone that knows me would tell you. With regards to cars, I hate all of them. Yet I love them. The Sorento is my 31st car I believe. My problem is that little things annoy the heck out of me to the point where I will get rid of the car.

So that being said, I will be the (probably) rare person here to tell you to stay with the Venza. We got the Sorento because we needed a taller vehicle that a station wagon (Not saying that to aggravate you, but if you ask me that's what the Venza is) wouldn't provide. I also wanted a Audi A3 tdi wagon really bad but it wouldn't work either. If you're in a similar situation where you need tall interior room, and are only looking for fwd, then I'd suggest a long, hard, look at a minivan. I didn't and I get angry every time I go in the garage.

Now, if you really need a crossover SUV, so, you need awd/4wd and you need three rows, I would look good and hard at the Mazda CX9. This was my second choice and I think I would have been happier with it than the Sorento I have. If you only need two rows, then I'd look at the Ford Edge (The 2011+ remodels). We also came very close to the Edge. We didn't to save some money, but in retrospect, if I still refused the sensible minivan, and decided I didn't need the mass of the CX9 (I wish I did though), then I wish I would have bought the Edge.

Why the hate on the Sorento? I think a lot of it is just I bought the wrong package (I have the LX V6) but even without those things:
- the V6 is course sounding
- the leather is a very low quality (Already showing crease marks at 12k miles)
- the suspension is WAY to oversprung. On the test drive it felt great and sporty, but in real life it is just ridiculous. I came from a BMW 135i with run flats and the M-sport package, so I do know what "sporty" should feel like. Jouncing around on every bump in the street is not sporty, it's silly.
- The three rows screws everything up. Huh? Well the 2nd row is crammed too much for space, and the third row is so useless I put it down when I took delivery from the dealer and have used it once since then. Even with the third row down, the storage space in the back is not that great. (Forget having any useful storage if you put the third row down) The vehicle in its current wheelbase really should have been a 2-row SUV.
- the brakes (Shared on all lines) are lousy. There are not very many aftermarket options to make them better either. They have way to low of an initial bite, and even when pressed hard, just don't inspire confidence.
- I'm not that tall (Under 6') but I cannot get the rear view mirror to stay at maximum adjustment when I drive. I have the rear view mirror with the backup camera in it, so maybe other ones are better or have more adjustment, but I've never had a car where I had to use max adjustment range and still not be able to fully see out the rear window. Again, if I were 6'9" then I might expect this, but I'm not.

I've owned the car for somewhere around 6 months I think. Typically one or two things will be bothering me at the 6-month mark, so this ship is sinking even faster than my usual ones...

Stick with the Venza. More than likely more reliable, better rear world gas mileage, and undoubtedly better residual value...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
123 Posts
To each his own, but a lot of this is subjective, or not at all my experience nor that of most owners that I know of:

Now, if you really need a crossover SUV, so, you need awd/4wd and you need three rows, I would look good and hard at the Mazda CX9. This was my second choice and I think I would have been happier with it than the Sorento I have.
Don't know anything about the CX9 (except that I think it's ugly), but it's true that the Sorento's third-row seats are only suitable for small children. Fortunately, you can fold them down flat. Kia got a little smarter in 2013 (ours is a '12) and made the third row optional for those packages in which it had been mandatory.

If you only need two rows, then I'd look at the Ford Edge (The 2011+ remodels). We also came very close to the Edge.
So did a band named Yes...

We didn't to save some money...
That's an understatement! I'm a Ford guy and would rather have bought a Ford at the time, but to get an Edge that is equipped similarly to my Sorento SX would have cost thousands more.

Why the hate on the Sorento? I think a lot of it is just I bought the wrong package (I have the LX V6) but even without those things:
Maybe I'm just feeling a little extra prickly this morning, but there's most of your problem right there. :D Should've gone with the SX. Among other things, it has a slightly different suspension than the lower models (or did, in 2012).

- the V6 is course sounding
Not mine (although it's not as silky-smooth as a Honda, for example), but it makes a wonderful growl when pushed and provides some surprisingly quick acceleration.

- the leather is a very low quality (Already showing crease marks at 12k miles)
Mine still looks good at almost 25k miles. Then again, my wife drives it most of the time, and she probably weighs about 100 lbs. less than I do.

- the suspension is WAY to oversprung. On the test drive it felt great and sporty, but in real life it is just ridiculous. I came from a BMW 135i with run flats and the M-sport package, so I do know what "sporty" should feel like. Jouncing around on every bump in the street is not sporty, it's silly.
It's definitely not the smoothest -- not like my grandfather's old '67 Chrysler New Yorker, for example, which would barely register anything if you drove over a curb. Maybe it's my 43-year background of owning mostly sporty cars and pickups (my daily driver is a 2003 Ford Lightning), but I've driven the Sorento on everything from broken up, frost-heaved roads in upstate NY to interstates with freshly-laid asphalt, and I find it to be simply sporty. And it hugs those mountain curves more securely than the Lightning!

(Forget having any useful storage if you put the third row down) The vehicle in its current wheelbase really should have been a 2-row SUV.
Did yo mean to say 'if you don't put the third row down'? I play keyboards in a Classic Rock cover band, and with the third row down, it fits 2 keyboards, a folding keyboard stand, decent-sized amplifier and a big toolbox with no problem.

- the brakes (Shared on all lines) are lousy. There are not very many aftermarket options to make them better either. They have way to low of an initial bite, and even when pressed hard, just don't inspire confidence.
Stop right there! ;) Something is wrong with your car's brakes. The brakes on my Sorento, and on those that I test drove, bite quickly but progressively, and will practically give you seat belt bruises in a panic stop. If yours isn't doing that, have it checked out: it's not normal.

- I'm not that tall (Under 6') but I cannot get the rear view mirror to stay at maximum adjustment when I drive.
I'm 6'1" and have no problem getting the rear-view mirror properly adjusted, with plenty of adjustment left. Maybe yours was mounted too low...?

No matter what anyone says, in addition to getting as many opinions as you can, the best thing to do is to take several test drives on different road surfaces and see how you like it. Unless you're willing to put up with some missing content, buy the highest model that you can afford.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Since no one else has asked, are you going to be buying or leasing? What is your budget? Is a Sorento at the low end of your budget or is it the most you can afford?

Would help to have a bit more detail for people that are suggesting other vehicles to you and what is in line with the Sorento. I'd say look at a BMW X3 or Audi Q5 mid spec trims and you'll get most, if not all that is on the Sorento. MB GLK and Lexus RX are also worth a look if we're speaking in terms of the Sorento SX-L.

If we're talking about lower trims, then look at the Highlander, Santa Fe, Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR2, etc.

For me, in Canada, the luxury vehicles are a tad priced too high above the Sorento, as well as the upper trim levels in the lower tier makes too. However, in the states, everything is a lot more competitively priced (I've looked a lot). I chose to go with the Sorento as I get the most bang for my buck. However, if I lived in the states, I would most definitely be looking up into the luxury manufacturers quite a bit more.

Cheers.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Stig, i probably have something like you do...you want things just so.

It will drive you nuts :) if you're not already there :)

When you're close to something for a long time, you notice things. People have different likes and dislikes.

Don't feel too bad. You probably would have found something wrong with any other car you picked...edge, cx9 or venza. Car makers choose what they believe majority will like or can live with and compare against costs.

I used to personalize things to fix those things that bothered me. I'm less picky now. Don't have time to do much these days. I picked the SX because it had most of what I was looking for. The 2014 SXL is even closer and has a few more things that were n my list.

I think my V6 is great.

I don't like the looks of the cx mazda suvs.

I was considering the venza but i hate the shifter location. My bias.

To the original poster, try out the differnt models you're considering. Make a list of things you must have and things you'd like to have. Detrrmine budgt and go...good luck.

Also, forgot to add that my leather is holding up well but its not that buttery smooth leather...i think 2014 sxl nappa leather might be good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
^^ Oh I'm already there :wacko:

My problem is I spend a lot of time in a car. I spend at the minimum 3 hours a day in the car because of the traffic where I live. When you're stuck in a 10-mile long traffic jam averaging 5mph, you have a lot of time to notice things.

It will drive you bonkers. I just was reading the newest C&D and I was getting very excited about the forthcoming Mercedes Benz CLA...Until they said it was going to be front wheel drive. Yet another lost opportunity LOL.

I'm an exceptionally picky person, I actually used to work in QA for a while. To be fair and to appease those that feel I'm being unduly harsh:

Edge
- Mysync is great. Until it breaks, then you get to buy an entire new console
- Mysync doesn't work without gloves (??)
- Ford's Automatic Transmissions aren't known for their longetivity
- I can't get the more powerful 3.7L Ti-VCT engine unless you get the sport, complete with the gaudy oversized rims

CX-9
- It's ugly. I despise the smile, and I despise the rear side view. Reminds me of the Nissan Quest "slump" or the Nissan Armada "slump) (On the roofline)
- It's a bit on the thirsty end
- It's a pig (Very heavy)
- The leather quality was quite bad. Initially, worse than the Kia, although I'm not sure how to compare it in terms of wear.

Venza
- I hate the front end grill
(That's it because I already disqualified it because it's not tall enough inside)

Honda/Toyota Minivans
- Too expensive
- Far too conservative for me

Dodge/Chrysler Minivans
- 3.7 V6 feels like they tuned it for peak HP, not enough low end torque (Seems to be somewhat common for Dodge though)
- Their transmissions are known for their unreliability
- I don't like column shifters, but the dash location is also not very good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say low end but I dont see why I need to spend that kind of money on an SUV. I need a SUV for my new born and also write off for work. I look at the Sorento seems appearling from the exterior and lots of gadgets that I wont see in my Venza. Honestly, I regret on getting the Venza as I didnt compare its interior with other competitors when I leased it.. the Venza has a very cheap plastic inside and just not adding up to its class.....

SX is the trim that I want..... not a big fans of bimmer..... interior of a bimmer is boring.....
As for Audi, Q5 has no 3rd role seating and Q7 just too much to spend.... I have a 06 A3 and a tts....no more audi for me........ lexus and merc..... not my cup of tea.......

I am from Canada as well and I see lots of other high end brands and trims are way over priced to compare the same in the states..... this is another reason which drives me to consider the new Sorento....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please consider this. If you plan on placing your baby seat in the middle of the 2nd row, then you won't be able to fold any of the second row flat. This is probably the same with all SUVs. So your only real storage area is going to be the area behind the third row.

Big deal right? Nope. I let my buddy use mine because he was taking a trip with his wife and 6 month old. Suitcases had to ride in the front passenger seat because his wife wanted to stay in the back with the baby. The other rear passenger seat had more luggage. Their stroller would only fit width wise and their bag of baby stuff took up the majority of the rest of the trunk area.

Granted, in normal circumstances, you wouldn't have the suitcases, but even then my buddy said they carry the stroller and baby bag stuff everywhere. So when you go grocery shopping, there isn't much room for groceries in the back (Unless you'd want to stack them on top of the stroller)

I asked my buddy why not just move the baby seat to 60% side and fold the 40% seat down but apparently the experts recommend having the baby seat in the middle as it's safer for side collisions - makes sense I guess.

If I were you, I'd look very closely at how wide and how deep the storage area of whatever you're buying so that you get something you're happy with. My buddy liked the Sorento, but said he'd go with a minivan in a heartbeat because of the extra versatility with the back seats and the longer, lower, rear floor.

Granted I think the only AWD minivan out there right now is the overpriced Sienna, and it's a Toyota interior so it may remind you too much of the interior of your Venza.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Katy, I would take a good look at the Sorento then. I've done quite a bit of research on other Canadian choices, and there isn't really much else in this price range that gives you good value with lots of options. I agree that many of the luxury brands are quite over priced, but I find that to be more true up here in Canada than with our southerly neighbours. Give the 2014 Sorento SX a test drive and see how you feel about it.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Two reasons to buy a Kia (or Hyundai)---

---The quality is very good. Honda or Toyota might be better, or maybe equal. Toyota has slipped from superb to excellent quality.

---The price is right.

Forget about all the quibbling about seats and engine and suspension. Figure those out for yourself on your examination and test drive of any car you consider. Take test drives as long as you'd like to learn about any car and things like how the seats fit you over a period of time. If your examination and test drive of a Kia (or Hyundai) puts a smile on your face, buy it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I could go back in time, I would not have bought the Sorento. Personally, I find cabin noise excessive, the steering wheel uncomfortable, the navi screen is disturbingly bright at night and the ride, in general, harsh (I won't go on, but I do have more issues).

Yes, you get more options, but you sacrifice quality.

I would strongly urge you to rent a Sorento for a weekend and drive it.... rent it for a week to really get a feel; once you sign the purchase papers, it's yours (a costly mistake I made - once).

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX 2.4 GDI
29 Posts
I'm about three weeks into ownership of a 2014 LX with the 2.4L GDI and really like it. IMO the vehicle has great exterior and interior looks, and the pricing gives you a pretty good bang for the buck for the features you get compared to other SUV/crossovers. It appears to be well built, and handles very well. The SX and EX models are priced right up there, more than what I am willing to fork over. The price climbs quickly as you move past the convenience package.

·
Registered
Hyundai Gencoupe
112 Posts
I could not be happier with my '12 LX V6 Sorento with convenience package.
I use it for everything I bought it for... Fits strollers, luggage, baby, wife, etc. with no problems. We mount the baby seat to 1 side. I don't care about the .0001% higher safety factor. What do people with 2 kids do? I have a tow hitch for mountain bikes too. I use the luggage rack with a soft waterproof bag (designed for luggage racks) and that gives me more storage for dirty stuff... like beach chairs and whatnot.

I've used it for 7-passengers including a 66 and an 11-yr-old in the 3rd row... Everyone compliments it and is happy with the ride and room.

I drove it in the mountains and the snow with 2WD and I had no issues... even with the 'just ok' Kumho stock tires.

For a car to have so much versatility, from carrying 1 person to 7, and a wide variety of cargo.. it's going to be a little stiff when light so it won't wallow when laden. I don't mind the ride. It's a little sporty, whatever.

I have cloth seats which I much prefer to leather. The cloth is very smooth so it's not too hot .. and it's not super soft either.. it's 'just right' for me.

I'm about 190 lbs and 5' 10" and everything works perfectly for me. My wife is a little smaller than me and she finds everything to be just right for her too. She loves driving it as well. We both love the power. The engine sounds great to us... and our 2-yr-old... who says "go, go, go!" when he wants to hear it. ;)

I traded my '05 BMW 325i plus sold a '00 S-10 to get the Sorento. It's a good marriage of those 2 cars. I really loved my BMW but needed a little more room. I had no issues with that car... and so far, no real issues with this one.

My wife has an '05 RAV4.. and we just did a tuneup and replaced the front brakes at 88,k. That car has also been completely free of problems. We've had good luck with cars the last decade. I hope things continue with this Kia... just a great car, I recommend them to anyone who asks. I wish I could've found what I wanted w/ AWD but I couldn't. The V6 is mandatory, and I would get AWD to reduce torque steer. The V6 is a beast... it flies.

I get 21mpg in the city... and 26 hwy... I have about 25,k on it now... I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts