Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain please? My general consumption figures on my Pro Ceed 3read about forty seven to fifty driving around home. Put a caravan on the back and it soon drops down to thirty seven or so. Remove the van and it takes ages to get my normal consumption figures back to normal. What’s confusing the computer then, I wonder?:mad:

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3
20 Posts
its because you got a big heavy caravan on the back creating lots of drag just reset the trip when you unhook the caravan

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Every time you fill up the mpg meter resets itself to zero. You then drive 200 miles say with a caravan on the back and the meter shows 37 mpg. Take off the van and drive another 200 miles say with no caravan on the back at say 47 mpg. At this point the mpg meter will have recovered to show an average of about 42 mpg. For the meter to 47 mpg after 400 miles covered you would need to be doing 57mpg with no caravan on.

All you need to do is what steve100 says, zero the mpg meter when you stop towing.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every time you fill up the mpg meter resets itself to zero. You then drive 200 miles say with a caravan on the back and the meter shows 37 mpg. Take off the van and drive another 200 miles say with no caravan on the back at say 47 mpg. At this point the mpg meter will have recovered to show an average of about 42 mpg. For the meter to 47 mpg after 400 miles covered you would need to be doing 57mpg with no caravan on.

All you need to do is what steve100 says, zero the mpg meter when you stop towing.
Thanks for the explanation, but my question asked why the car mileage reading shows a difference (as any fool would expect when a caravan is added) after only a few miles from starting towing and to get back to my normal consumption figures without resetting takes a lot of driving. Why? It’s only after about a month or so that the MPG reading suddenly changes back to it normal consumption readings.
I presume this is one of the faults members write in about. After all, my Pro Ceed is only a cheap and cheerful motor, and I do not expect perfection.
By the way, when I refill my car the MPG reading does not reset to zero, but stays the same as before filling, forty seven before, forty seven after. Is this another small fault?

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
By the way, when I refill my car the MPG reading does not reset to zero, but stays the same as before filling, forty seven before, forty seven after. Is this another small fault?
A reset does not mean it needs to remove the previous result. A reset means it loses the original mileage and fuel volume that it used to calculate that result - since it is a reasonable assumption that you are usually going to drive in much the same way after filling as you did before filling. It probably holds that result until there is enough new mileage and fuel information to give a sensible update.

If you try doing the inverse of what you did - fill up, and run without the caravan for a a couple of hundred miles to get a stable reading, then run with it, you should find the result then falls slowly.

·
Registered
943 Posts
No, the automatic average fuel consumption reset is only fitted to the post 2010 facelift model. More than 6 litres of fuel must be added to trigger a reset.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the automatic average fuel consumption reset is only fitted to the post 2010 facelift model. More than 6 litres of fuel must be added to trigger a reset.
Thanks Deeps. I kept reading about this fuel reset and wondering why no reset on my 08 model. Good to know:D

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A reset does not mean it needs to remove the previous result. A reset means it loses the original mileage and fuel volume that it used to calculate that result - since it is a reasonable assumption that you are usually going to drive in much the same way after filling as you did before filling. It probably holds that result until there is enough new mileage and fuel information to give a sensible update.

If you try doing the inverse of what you did - fill up, and run without the caravan for a a couple of hundred miles to get a stable reading, then run with it, you should find the result then falls slowly.
Thanks for the info Ace Demon. In hindsight as I only do a small mileage, my 08 Pro Ceed has only reached 25753 miles since new so a slow reset is to be waited on.:p

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello RTF. My caravan takes me golfing and fishing on a pension. How would you do it?
It also keeps my good lady happy away from home for a while. That way I keep my pastimes and get fed.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Hello RTF. My caravan takes me golfing and fishing on a pension. How would you do it?
It also keeps my good lady happy away from home for a while. That way I keep my pastimes and get fed.
I hear what you say. But if like me you were trying to travel around in Lincolnshire stuck behind the hundreds of towed tin cans from the Midlands on their way to Skegness to park next to other tin cans you might like feel like me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear what you say. But if like me you were trying to travel around in Lincolnshire stuck behind the hundreds of towed tin cans from the Midlands on their way to Skegness to park next to other tin cans you might like feel like me. :rolleyes:
Lots of sympathy RTF. I get the same feeling when all your local caravan owners come up to visit our beautiful beaches and camp sites using our single track roads. Then I chastise myself and think I am a miserable old b*****r. Caravans are limited to speeds similar to other forms of goods delivery transport. Are they on your list too? ;)

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Lots of sympathy RTF. I get the same feeling when all your local caravan owners come up to visit our beautiful beaches and camp sites using our single track roads. Then I chastise myself and think I am a miserable old b*****r. Caravans are limited to speeds similar to other forms of goods delivery transport. Are they on your list too? ;)
No, they are not on my list because they pay an extra road fund license to be on the road and also they are there for necessary work reasons. :mellow:

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, they are not on my list because they pay an extra road fund license to be on the road and also they are there for necessary work reasons. :mellow:
Hello again RTF.
Good to hear slow wagons are acceptable to you, as long as they bring you your goods and grub and pay extra taxes for the privilege. :D

I also completely understand your personal contempt for the tin can caravans that seem to continually make it hard for you to maintain your personal driving speed. I can only advise you purchase an Aston Martin complete with forward facing machine guns to clear your rite of passage.:mad:

Thinking again though, caravan owners are a selfish and cunning lot and will probably affix an extra layer of tin behind their vans just to spite you. Perhaps you should have rockets fitted?;)

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Hello again RTF.
Good to hear slow wagons are acceptable to you, as long as they bring you your goods and grub and pay extra taxes for the privilege. :D

I also completely understand your personal contempt for the tin can caravans that seem to continually make it hard for you to maintain your personal driving speed. I can only advise you purchase an Aston Martin complete with forward facing machine guns to clear your rite of passage.:mad:

Thinking again though, caravan owners are a selfish and cunning lot and will probably affix an extra layer of tin behind their vans just to spite you. Perhaps you should have rockets fitted?;)
If only, if only.

I must admit I do like the little steps they always seem to carry so the misses can get inside to make a cup of tea in the lay-by. While the driver gets out to have a smoke. :lol:

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Thanks for the info Ace Demon. In hindsight as I only do a small mileage, my 08 Pro Ceed has only reached 25753 miles since new so a slow reset is to be waited on.:p
Deeps has put another thought into my head. When it was mentioned that later Ceeds have an automatic reset, I first assumed a switch had been put on the filler cap door.

Clearly not. It is not an electronic or mechanical reset. All it is is the software seeing a change in fuel level in the tank and clearing some variables in its memory. In the later model it manifests on the display by showing bars. It is the same as a manual reset on the earlier system.

Because the earlier system does not show the bars if left to its own devices it is tempting to think it does not reset. Given the average is needed for the distance to go estimate, I don't think it would make sense to try to use an all time average. So I suspect it does a reset but it just doesn't provide a visible indication. Your caravan experiment goes some way to confirm this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts