Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Kia Sportage LX that I have owned since new. The process of it doing periodic diagnostic checks and then using my phone to send the data using the UVO app has been unbelievably frustrating. it never takes less than 8 to 10 attempts for it to send successfully and sometimes I am never able to get it to send successfully and go back and try it again days later.

Rebooting the phone, killing and restarting the UVO app, switching cables, switching from carrier to Wi-Fi or back, none of these things seem to affect the reliability.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make this process work reliably because it is infuriating every single time. This has been a perpetual problem now every month or two for 3 years.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 with the latest Android and the latest version of the UVO app, I have good quality cables, and as far as I know I have the most current firmware on the Sportage itself.

Help, please? (And please don't suggest telling the dealer. I have visited several. I barely trust them for mechanical issues, and asking them about system and display and firmware things like this is well beyond pointless.)

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
979 Posts
Hopefully someone here can help you. I haven't used UVO since about a month after buying my SX in 2016.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,062 Posts
I just gave up on mine for the same reasons.....

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after spending half the day fighting with this again today, I have been completely unable to upload a diagnostic report. I've tried three different cables, rebooting my phone several times, changing locations and therefore cell towers several times and it just won't work.

Does anyone know how to report any of this as a bug to Kia? I haven't found anything on the website or in the app information on how I could submit a bug. It is so frustrating and such a simple basic thing that really should be practically bulletproof..... aaargggghhh

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX
160 Posts
I tried to use the UVO app and found it buggy, but more than that, it's kinda useless. There's very little it offers that you can't do in a better way without it.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@kinglerch - that is very likely true. But of course my Sportage bugs me on the regular (gotta be at least 2x/month) to go through this process ... and the fact that it is uniformly painful is a testament to how bad the design and execution of the process by Kia actually is ....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
When I purchased my car in 2016, I had some hopes for UVO. I used it to upload Google Maps data to the nav system. That was really clunky and not well thought out. They used to have UVO only updates and I always update my systems. Those updates have disappeared and any system updates are now included in the nav/map updates. My guess is that Kia has really given up on UVO and so few people do things like you, i.e., transmit data, that it has virtually no benefit to the corporate mavens at Kia headquarters. I've given up on UVO and just don't use any of its functionality anymore. I haven't missed it at all. From my perspective, UVO is extinct like the dodo bird and dinosaurs.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
I tried to use the UVO app and found it buggy, but more than that, it's kinda useless. There's very little it offers that you can't do in a better way without it.
This, I was disappointed in uvo. The 2015 Sonata 2.0t ultimate I had had remote lock/unlock, remote start, climate control, ect with hyundai's uvo equivalent. Sportage all I had was some crap diagnostic, kia tow, 911, and ability to find my car... Kia really dropped the ball.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally was able to register an online Customer Service issue for UVO with Kia USA corporate ... And someone from UVO team actually called me, but I was driving to an appointment, and couldn't troubleshoot at that time, and they have yet to call back... I'll update if they do call back.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
I finally was able to register an online Customer Service issue for UVO with Kia USA corporate ... And someone from UVO team actually called me, but I was driving to an appointment, and couldn't troubleshoot at that time, and they have yet to call back... I'll update if they do call back.
I sum it up to why KIA is such a 'great value.' I love my audi's virtual cockpit and the backend service audi provides vs KIA.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage S
216 Posts
@kinglerch - that is very likely true. But of course my Sportage bugs me on the regular (gotta be at least 2x/month) to go through this process ... and the fact that it is uniformly painful is a testament to how bad the design and execution of the process by Kia actually is ....
Most infotainment packages are pretty bad. Its the nature of the lag in automotive technology from everything else and the environmental conditions they must operate in.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
I sum it up to why KIA is such a 'great value.' I love my audi's virtual cockpit and the backend service audi provides vs KIA.
Audi makes great cars and given that it is considered a luxury brand, the service is better than most non-luxury brands. I've found that it really differs by dealers. I have a Kia dealership close to my house, but their service sucks (a technical word)!! Because of that, I bought my car and have it serviced at another Kia dealer and they have been outstanding. I've had terrible service at BMW and Porsche dealers in the past, but again, I'm sure that varies by dealer. My wife had a Hyundai, and their service was excellent. I just wouldn't judge overall service of a brand by judging one or two dealers. By the way, I really like the technology in Audi's and they are solid and quiet. They didn't have Android Auto when I bought my car and that was a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
Most infotainment packages are pretty bad. Its the nature of the lag in automotive technology from everything else and the environmental conditions they must operate in.
It's hard to compare infotainment packages to other devices we own. The lag in automotive technology is due to the fact that their systems must not fail while your smartphone or computer can "burp" and it won't cause an accident or loss of directions to an address. When you produce a fail safe system, they do tend to lag behind. Compared to the many other cars I've owned, UVO just ain't that bad. It's not great, but it is a lot better than the Mazda or Ford systems I've used. What I've found is that we compensate for poor design. We learn the systems in the cars we own and then they become second nature. The user design of infotainment systems is only an issue when you are first learning it IMO. For example, in my Kia, I can plug the phone in before I start the car, and Android Auto will appear. In my Subaru, I have to wait until the infotainment system boots before I plug in the phone.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update here. Kia never really got back to me, however I did realize that doing a hard reset on the head system was something that I had forgotten to do and that actually seems to have solved the problem. It's probably a good idea frankly to do a hard reset on the head end system every month or two and it really only takes 15 seconds anyway so there's no reason not to.

So to the comments about dealers, I'll say this. I live in a quite large metro area that has I think five dealers total. I've been to four of them. Only one of them doesn't suck, but regardless, none of them are prepared or equipped to troubleshoot problems between customers mobile phones and the entertainment head end unit.

And yes none of these cars ... certainly not a Kia and probably not even Audi ... are anything like the experience in a Tesla for instance where there are OTA updates that could happen daily. The infotainment software in the head end in this 2017 Kia was undoubtedly designed in about 2012, and updated and maybe 2015. That's if we're lucky.

<Rant=on>
And I will also admit to being a Luddite. I wish none of this electronics existed in cars and I am not in any way looking forward to the continuing increase in the nanny and orwellian software control in vehicles.

My dream vehicle is probably a restomod of a late 60s muscle car, completely rebuilt with nice crate engine, modern drivetrain, suspension, brakes and electrical system and absolutely no electronics, and very minimal emission controls, of any kind and hopefully I'll be able to drive that until it's no longer legal to drive your own car sometime in the next 15 to 25 years in the US. Because when fully self-driving cars are the norm, and human driving is illegal, I'll be done with cars forever.
<rant=off>

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
And I will also admit to being a Luddite. I wish none of this electronics existed in cars and I am not in any way looking forward to the continuing increase in the nanny and orwellian software control in vehicles.

My dream vehicle is probably a restomod of a late 60s muscle car, completely rebuilt with nice crate engine, modern drivetrain, suspension, brakes and electrical system and absolutely no electronics, and very minimal emission controls, of any kind and hopefully I'll be able to drive that until it's no longer legal to drive your own car sometime in the next 15 to 25 years in the US. Because when fully self-driving cars are the norm, and human driving is illegal, I'll be done with cars forever.
<rant=off>
I'm an old guy, but I love tech and new stuff. I used to only drive manual transmissions but realize that today's automatics, especially the higher end ones, shift a lot faster than us humans. I've also become accustomed to paddle shifters. Modern engines are so much better than the old ones with ECM's and fuel injection rather than points and condenser and carburetors. Emission controls for today with ECM controls, do not really rob the engine of hp anymore like in the old days. I grew up in Los Angeles and I've got to tell you that the air is a lot cleaner now than back then so I'm all for these controls because our health, and the health of my grandchildren, are important to me. There are a few nanny things that I like -- shift modes, backup camera, adaptive cruise control, hill hold, electric tailgate, keyless entry, electric seats, and modern air conditioning. Stability control has saved me a couple of times and so has blind spot monitoring. I do like parking sensors. Most of the other items I can turn off. I can't possibly agree with no electronics because ECM's are great -- even in restomods. I don't know if I'd ever buy a car without navigation and/or Android Auto/CarPlay. And because my wife and I like different temperatures, dual zone climate controls are very good for us. So, in reality, there are very few of the modern electronics/conveniences that I don't like. So if I had a restomod, it would have many of the things I mentioned including an infotainment system.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a medium-old guy too. Hate paddle shifters... Just no fun and hard to remember to use. Yes, dual electric clutches are fast and smooth, but gimme a 5spd stick any day. No offense at all ... everyone likes different things... you can keep your dual zone climate control, because I never understand why anybody would want or need that, and I find it exceedingly annoying that I can (and do) accidentally wind up with different temperature air on two sides of the car.

HATE the tracking. Hate mobile phones and credit cards for this reason. Just wait until you have a car that they remotely shut down because you miss one of your loan payments. (They already do that for commercial vehicles and farm implements.) .... Already the police and insurance companies can look at so-called black box records after an accident and see all kinds of things about braking, steering, acceleration etc.

My restomod will have a nice crate engine, a smooth five speed and a nice AM/FM radio. And no usb, gps, bluetooth, satellite radio, wifi, black-box electronics, etc. And very definitely no NHTSA V2V transmitter.

(Pre 1974 cars were better in SO many ways. But yes, modern ECM is certainly smoother than rotor, points and carb. OTOH, have you ever driven a Mercedes or BMW all-mechanical rail injection system from the 50/60s?... Damn nice )

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
I thought the same as you until my current sports car. I bought new a 1969 Triumph TR6 and I thought it was one of the best cars I ever owned. I loved the connection to the road and the simplicity of design. So before I purchased my new sports car, I found a restored TR6 and gave it a test drive. It was cramped, noisy, and I really missed my creature comforts. It handled like a toy wagon. I drove a restomod Vette with a modern crate engine and updated suspension, but it was nothing like the ride and drive of a C7 or C8 Vette. I've come to the conclusion that we now produce the best cars ever and I see no reason to wallow in the past. I do understand the impact of nostalgia in the cars we drive. I know a lot of guys who feel exactly the same as you. But for me, I want a car that is comfortable and drives/handles better than anything in the past. It is the experience of driving that gets me going and I could give a damn about the past. In the end, whatever floats your boat should be your goal, but technology really has improved cars. So I take it that since you don't want bluetooth, you're not going to take your phone in the car? But I get it... you also don't own a smartphone or one with bluetooth so it doesn't make any difference in any event...... It must be a pain to have a rotary dial phone in your car and in your house..... (only kidding)

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My concern is not nostalgia. I have lots of nostalgia, but I think many new things are good and many old things are bad.

My concern is about the intrusive nature of technology. I want my damn privacy (and yes I realize the irony of saying that on the internet). do you realize the data aggregators have as many as 30 - 40,000 data points on each of half the people on earth? Everything from your religion to your income to your family and your address and your bank accounts and so much more including your voting records. It's frightening.

I do have a smartphone., and I use it a lot. I also leave network connections, Bluetooth, GPS and other things turned off as much as possible and only turn them on when absolutely needed and lock down all apps permissions to the bare minimum and I don't use many apps to begin with, and I never use any social media on any platform.

I definitely do not connect it to my car most of the time either by USB (with a charge only cable) or Bluetooth. And I leave it in the car lockbox when I go into stores. (Because again everybody's tracking you with GPS and microphones and cameras).

Anyway I got way off topic. We're talking about cars. My desire for a rest of mod is to get as good of modern technology as I can without all of the electronics. I realize it may not be as good as a full modern production car but it's going to be way better than a 1960's production car.

and ultimately even that is farther off topic because originally this was about the UVO access which I did get working. And it really just took a reset of the head unit it seems.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
My concern is not nostalgia. I have lots of nostalgia, but I think many new things are good and many old things are bad.

My concern is about the intrusive nature of technology. I want my damn privacy (and yes I realize the irony of saying that on the internet). do you realize the data aggregators have as many as 30 - 40,000 data points on each of half the people on earth? Everything from your religion to your income to your family and your address and your bank accounts and so much more including your voting records. It's frightening.

I do have a smartphone., and I use it a lot. I also leave network connections, Bluetooth, GPS and other things turned off as much as possible and only turn them on when absolutely needed and lock down all apps permissions to the bare minimum and I don't use many apps to begin with, and I never use any social media on any platform.

I definitely do not connect it to my car most of the time either by USB (with a charge only cable) or Bluetooth. And I leave it in the car lockbox when I go into stores. (Because again everybody's tracking you with GPS and microphones and cameras).

Anyway I got way off topic. We're talking about cars. My desire for a rest of mod is to get as good of modern technology as I can without all of the electronics. I realize it may not be as good as a full modern production car but it's going to be way better than a 1960's production car.

and ultimately even that is farther off topic because originally this was about the UVO access which I did get working. And it really just took a reset of the head unit it seems.
Yes, it is an irony that the one item you use most, your smartphone, is the greatest purveyor of destroying your privacy. My wife still uses an old flip phone for that very reason. There are a number of technology devices on modern cars that don't touch your privacy at all, however. And you are right that this is off-topic. By the way, I agree that a hard boot once a month can be useful. System updates do accomplish a hard reboot.... Have fun when you get your restomod....

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even an old flip phone doesn't really help because it still has to have GPS because in the United States all mobile phones since 2007 must have GPS. 🤷‍♂️😡

what system updates are you referring to that perform the same thing as a hard boot? I have never yet been able to do a system update on the UVO software/firmware since I owned it if that's what you mean.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts