Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the Kia Rio was rated 33% in customer satisfaction in one of the CR's yearly used car guides and it doesn't show up in the 3-year, 5-year, and 10-yr satisfaction ratings for the top five or six subcompact cars in some of the newer CR guides.

Why is it so low as I am considering a Kia Rio or the Honda Fit (which has 60 to 75% satisfaction)? I know the LX version is kind of lacking in amenities.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
640 Posts
I noticed that the Kia Rio was rated 33% in customer satisfaction in one of the CR's yearly used car guides and it doesn't show up in the 3-year, 5-year, and 10-yr satisfaction ratings for the top five or six subcompact cars in some of the newer CR guides.

Why is it so low as I am considering a Kia Rio or the Honda Fit (which has 60 to 75% satisfaction)? I know the LX version is kind of lacking in amenities.

Thanks,
Chuck
You will get some if not all info at edmunds.com reviews.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
142 Posts
The reason I think is because the car is very basic transportation. It is uncomfortable, loud on the road, handles terribly, and is under powered to name a few reasons. That being written you may ask why I bought one. My main reason was it fit my needs. I was looking for a low cost, reliable, in town car that also got good gas mileage. I found my with a very good maintenance history and at a good price. It does everything I need it for.

If you are looking for basic reliable transportation I think this generation of Kia Rio is the way to go.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I think is because the car is very basic transportation. It is uncomfortable, loud on the road, handles terribly, and is under powered to name a few reasons. That being written you may ask why I bought one. My main reason was it fit my needs. I was looking for a low cost, reliable, in town car that also got good gas mileage. I found my with a very good maintenance history and at a good price. It does everything I need it for.

If you are looking for basic reliable transportation I think this generation of Kia Rio is the way to go.
That definitely fits my driving habits as I don't put a lot of miles on a car and road noise isn't a big deal as I've heard that complaint about other subcompacts as well, but if I am playing my radio I don't understand why it would be an issue. And Rios seem to be about 2k cheaper than Fits.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo
213 Posts

Thanks,
Chuck
I have no complaints about mine what so ever. Had a 150,000 mi with nothing but oil changes and plugs. No electrical issues or anything. I would buy another one in a heart beat. I don't care for the newer CVT (IVT) transmissions. The Honda Fit is a great option as well, just usually cost much more (my brother has a CVT sunroof model, not a car guy, but is very happy with his) The grading criteria on surveys is always odd, and the information can be packaged to be misleading. Plenty of YouTube videos that will explain what I mean about that.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX 1.6 hatchback
4 Posts

Totally agree with most, but not with the reliability. In overall terms, the drivetrain is reliable, but lot of components suck.

In a 2013 MY with 72.000 miles i've replaced drivers window switch, airbag clock spring, trunk release switch, stereo unit, headlights (faded and with a lot of small cracks, ive seen another 2 5 door with that problem), outer tail lights have a water inlet (between the black plastic and clear lens) that has caused bulb sockets to rust, and also had to replace the passenger side driveshaft. Also most plastic parts suck.

I have been doing all the repairs myself, so it wasn´t terrible, but if I had to pay the labor for all these jobs, the little cheapo car would have been a money pit.

Gas mileage is decent but not great. It's good for the US average, but for a 1.6 liter engine it could be better. I guess that the torque converter is not the best option for it, but at least is reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts