Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,461 Posts
Your area's temp/humidity zone will have an affect to A/C performance at idle. No airflow and a hot engine compartment, in some conditions the airflow from the radiator fans is not enough to give full cooling "feel".
Also a 7 year old vehicle...you may be a little low on refrigerant levels. Best way to diagnose is with full gages to the high and low side and see where readings are. Top up kits can be misleading and allow overcharging, which will actually inhibit cooling.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2015 LX 3.3
26 Posts
Seems normal. Takes a while to cool down.
Does it still do that after driving for a while if you pull in to stop for a few minutes at idle?

·
Registered
2013 KIA Sorento SX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your area's temp/humidity zone will have an affect to A/C performance at idle. No airflow and a hot engine compartment, in some conditions the airflow from the radiator fans is not enough to give full cooling "feel".
Also a 7 year old vehicle...you may be a little low on refrigerant levels. Best way to diagnose is with full gages to the high and low side and see where readings are. Top up kits can be misleading and allow overcharging, which will actually inhibit cooling.
How much would it cost if I do it myself compared to getting it done by a mechanic?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,461 Posts
How much would it cost if I do it myself compared to getting it done by a mechanic?
COST depends on the average LABOR rate of your area. My Northeastern location rarely has prolonged need of A/C use, much the same as some area's have little need for a good working HEATER. I have tried to use popular A/C "top up" cans found at almost every part and department store with MIXED success. Most can have one OVER FILLING the system due to inaccurate gages that come on the cans of refrigerant! IF you don't know what you are doing with the system, it's best left to the "pro's" to same possible further expensive repair costs from damage of over filling.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Kia Sorento FWD Base with 2.4L
124 Posts
Any effect when pushing the A/C button? I believe that's for max cooling.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,467 Posts
Check coolant level. It might be just low enough to stop the AC from working but not enough to overheat. When the engine speeds up coolant moves faster through the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts