Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a lbit puzzled that the Sorento as a truck is not rated fro a higher trailer weight. Does anybdy know why? Seems odd, when the car-based Highlander has the same maximum wieight. Is the Sorento motor not considered pwerful enough, especially without a transmission oil cooler? Has Kia ever published anything on this issue? ManuelH

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'm not 100% sure why, but it's probably suspension related. The hitch is strong enough for more, so is the engine. The transmission does have a factory cooler, so that's not it either.

The more you tow, the stiffer the suspension needs to be. Only 5% of these get hitches, so they work towards pleasing the bigger crowd.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
i tow a 2500 lbs pop/up trailer and an additional 300 to 350 lbs in the sorento and found the lack of power to be a problem on hills, it needs another 40 to 50 HP

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know what the law is in the US but in the UK, tha maximum towing weight is 85% of the towcar's weight. 2500lbs is approximately 85% of the 4x2 Sorento and only about 200lbs less than the 4x4 version. Probably quoted at 3500 as a general guide for all models.

·
Registered
2004 LX 4x4 5 speed
106 Posts
Outside the North America towing capacity is 5000 lbs generally and in the UK it is 2800 kg (about 6200 lbs).

I think because of the big warranty offered in the US, Kia derates the towing capacity to perhaps reduced warranty work.

Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
For my automatic Diesel EX the manual says:
1. trailar without brakes - 750 Kg (1,653 Lbs)
2 trailar with brakes - 2,800 Kg (6,173 Lbs)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts