Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure but it sure sounds like spanish like...

No big deal but can names play a role in not choosing a car?

I mean i did buy my Rio sounds cute and goes with the looks of the car.

But Cadenza??? I dunno??? I wouldnt drive that just for the name itself ..no pun or hate for the Cadenza owners

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,146 Posts
Rio, Optima, Forte, Cadenza, Sorrento, Sedona.......those all actualy sound more Italian to me than Spanish. None of those would ever be a deal breaker to me. Not crazy about names like Tiguan, Toureg, Equus, Veloster, Venza, Murano, Yaris, etc. but the Kia names are fairly innocuous.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,809 Posts
Rio means River in Spanish, also in Portuguese and other languages derivated from the ancient Latin; which also is the Root for Italian and many other modern languages.

Many car manufacturers choose Spanish names, because Spanish is Widely spoken in many countries, also because it is understandable from other languages with ancient Latin root.

Do you Remember the "El Camino" it means "The Road" in Spanish.

There was a "Matador" from AMC, which means "Killer" in Spanish. (Bad name for sure)

Mercury had a version of the Comet coupe, called "Caliente" which means "Hot" in spanish.

There are so many more... but Cadenza is Not spanish, maybe italian, I don't know.

However, the Name given by the Automotive Manufacturers, shall not be too relevant when choosing a Car, unless the name offends certain persons... there is a Mitsubish¡t that was originally named "Pajero" which is in Spanish, and has a formal meaning that nobody uses, which is a collecter of dried stalks of wheat; but the Actual meaning is many latin american countries of South America, is "Wanker" and in Latin American Countries of Central America, means "Liar"; so, Mitsubish¡t changed the name, from "Pajero" to "Montero" which has Similar meaning to be running on dried stalks of wheat...

Mitsubishi also produces the "Diamante" which is Spanish for "Diamond", and there are much more...

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was speaking in relations to the way it sounds... some sound cool like veloster...

Well for me i like the mixture of letters n numbers feel more like a machine .. fx35 q5 m5 g35 etc etc just speaking nonsense... TIA for your input guys

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
130 Posts
Rio is Spanish.

Forte is French.

Sorento is Italian, derived from Sorrento an Italian port.

Optima is Latin, derived from Optimum.

Cadenza is Italian.

Soul is most likely a reference to Seoul where Kia is headquartered.

Sportage has no real origin, probably just an Americanized name.

Doesn't seem to be any real common link. I think the definitions of the origin word are what decided the name for some.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
533 Posts
back in the day, Nova, or "no go"

·
Registered
2016 Soul
11 Posts
Personally, the name of a car wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If I were buying a new car and the two cars were pretty identical on the 'ol Pro/Con list a cooler name could make me lean toward one over another.

But like Jerry Seinfeld said, what's with car companies using names that sound like good traits? Integra, anyone?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts