Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had service #3 done last Friday. This includes an oil change, of course.

Got home today and noticed a pool of engine oil on the garage floor and a trail of drops on the driveway.

A quick look showed the oil filter with oil all over it and below it and pooled up on the transmission/transfer case/whatever. The undercarriage is soaking with oil and the tailgate is slick with oil residue. I took a video of what I saw...it was dark and I'll be making another video when there is light.

I got a hold of my dealer's service department before they closed tonight at 8pm and they said bring it in first thing in the morning...8am when the mechanics get in. They said to call roadside assistance to have it towed in. There goes my client meeting and 1 day's work, not to mention the aggravation and grief. I said this is clearly a filter problem. They said they'll have a look to determine problem. I described what I saw. He said maybe something "gave out". Right...just after the service.

If they say anything other than it was a filter problem that they caused, I'll find that hard to believe. They will have to prove it without a doubt...and I'll be watching.

Questions/thoughts:
- How long have I been driving without oil?
- What damage has been caused by the dealer's mechanics negligence?
- How long am I going to be without a car?
- How am I going to trust my dealer now/any more? Any (KIA) dealer now/any more?

- What can/will they (try to) do to address this and make me "happy"
- Say there was some oil left and everything will be OK...Yeah and the checks in the mail
- Say that it's still under warranty and that it'll be OK...Yeah and the checks in the mail
- Free oil changes for the rest of the vehicles life
- An extended warranty
- Both free oil changes for life and an extended warranty
- Buy back the car and give me a new one
- Is that enough?
- Should I be able to purchase something other than a KIA?

I purchased the car new Sept 2011. Let me be clear, this is something that the dealer's mechanic caused and they are responsible for addressing it to my satisfaction. They have caused this issue to my personal property.

Why do I think that they won't offer anything and say that they didn't cause anything?

I'll be calling KIA to lodge the issue. If it was the dealer's mechanic, what will KIA say and/or do?

Any advice, comments and ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Mind if I ask what dealer you went to? Were both in Toronto.

When I first got my Sorento second hand, there was a small wet spot on the timing chain cover. Took it in and they 'fixed' it...drove home and it leaked 10X worse than it did when i sent it there. Got a tow to the dealer, waited two hours, sent me home...you guessed it. Leaked just as bad. Drove the balls out of it on the way to the dealer the next morning and its been fine since. Called Kia directly and told them what was going on. They wouldn't do anything since it was fixed now.

Then in october I took it in for an oil change, told them I had to be gone within an hour for school. Took them two hours for a damn oil change. Unacceptable.

Then they called us for a follow up and I let them know what was on my mind. They said they would do something about it. Its been two months and I have yet to hear back. Done with that dealer.

Your case seems much worse than mine. Take as many pictures and videos as you can. If you want, post them to youtube and post them here so we can get a better understanding of what happened. Good luck!

This is how much leaked within 30 minutes

Pretty embarassing seeing this after a week of ownership.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
VIM did you pull the dipstick to see if there was any oil showing. If there was then there should not be any damage to the engine. Even 1 liter of oil can make a hell of a mess in the engine compartment and under the vehicle. Good luck hope all ends well.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I the oil light never came on while you were driving, then you never lost oil pressure. I'm going to venture a guess and say that the gasket from the old filter stuck to the housing and didn't come off with the filter, nobody noticed, and screwed the new filter onto it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This sounds like a bad garage... not work done by a competent dealership. I have a friend that had his 2001 Subaru engine trashed by a Subaru dealer that didn't do something right during an oil change. The dealership paid for everything.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope there was and still is oil in the oil pan...enough so no problems occurred. The oil pressure light did not come on. I guess I'm lucky my car did not break down on the highway and catch fire and that I'm ok. Or maybe the dealer is lucky that didn't happen.

If you knew about gaskets sticking to the housing, i would hope other mechanics would know about this possibility and check each and every time an oil change is done. They must not have properly tested/checked for leaks either...that's part of their job too.

The reason, at least I thought, that one should go to a dealer for service is that they know more about my car than I do and they have done many more and have more experience for issues that come up. That's how it's supposed to be. I do/did this to avoid these kinds of things.

I wonder if the dealer will let me watch or at least bring me into the service area as they figure out what happened. They'll probably use the old insurance liability line. My previous Santa fe dealer had a window so customers could see the work and progress on their cars. They'd take me back to talk to the mechanics as well, if I asked.

With this oil all over the place, how and who will properly clean it? It got all over the driveshaft muffler, pipes, catalytic converter, transfer case, cross members, gas tank...all over the place. How does that affect everything/the various arts? What about the undercoating, bushings, grommets, linings, and whatever else is under there? What about all that oil slime on the paint and back hatch? Oil is not the easiest thing to clean up.

I remember asking about them washing the car last time I took it in for service and they said no.

I can picture it now. The service manager will say all is OK. He'll have to check with his boss to see if they can do this or do that. They'll keep me waiting...oh, I'm sorry he's on the phone now. He'll be right with you. Oh I'm sorry he had to step out for an emergency. Oh I can't authorize that without his approval. Check back with us later. And then late the phone calls start and the letters reminding me of my next service arrive!

They failed to perform the service that i paid them to do, they caused this to my personal property and have inconvenienced me. In the end, howi feel will largely depend on what they do, what they find and if they own up to anything they did or did not do that caused this and what they do to address this so that I am 'happy' or at least satisfied.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Yes, SPILL THE BEANS!!

So that the world can know what dealers to avoid like the plague!

Them good 'ol ex-GM boys...
Some habits do die hard.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
234 Posts
VIM:

Calm down:eek: It sounds like a simple mistake was made by the dealer's tech. Wait & see what the dealer says regarding the problem & any compensation they are willing to provide if they agree that they were at fault.
Going bananas on what your demands are won't do any good if you want to negotiate a resolution to your situation.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankfully, there was still oil left in the car. It looks like about 2.5 or 3 litres of oil were lost. So probably about 2.5 or 3 litres still left in the car.

i think the tech was trying to weasel his way out of saying it may have been his fault. He said the filter failed. I asked how. He said an o-ring failed. I asked which o-ring. He said the one on the oil filter. Then he said he could see oil coming out of the top of the housing/cap and that a 2nd o-ring that seals the cap failed. I asked how they could have co-incidentally failed at the same time. They didn't have an immediate answer. If oil came out of the housing/cap either the o-ring was cut, pinched or it was not installed properly. If it was pinched, that counts as not installed properly. He then conceded that it could have been his fault.

They said they would clean it up and it would be best to leave it with them for 4-5 hours to clean it properly. They offered a Rio for the day. I agreed. Tow truck, a flat bed, came fairly quickly when I called...CAA tow truck. Was there 1st thing at the dealer and out fairly quickly. Said the oil shouldn't affect anything and that the warranty would cover anything that came up. They would re-apply undercoating.

They said people make mistakes and the tech conceded it may have been his fault. I'll accept that. If they had said anything else or kept on about the filter being defective, I would probably been more pissed off. In the end, we were all lucky that there was still enough oil so no damage should have occurred. If the cleanup is fine and there are no long-term problem, I'll be satisfied. I hope they fix it properly this time!

The dealer has been pretty good so far and this shouldn't have any effect on our relationship. One can get pretty worked up when things happen. As I said, we were all lucky. Hopefully, no long-term issues.

Does anyone have more info or know where I can read up on the oil filter set up on the Sorento 3.5 v6?

Does anyone know whether the oil all over the underside and other places may cause issues in the future?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
VIM - looks like the dealer is looking after you well, mistakes can occur but it always depends how well the correction is taken care of that makes all the difference.
My dealer has always been good at looking after me and have been dealing with them for over 5 years.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a call a short while ago and they said it's ready.

I was told this morning that i would be given something to clean the garage floor and driveway. I'm hoping it's some absorb-all to soak up the small pools of oil and some degreaser to lift oil out/off of cement and asphalt.

So far they have treated me well enough. Better to have a friendly, good dealer close by than to not have one.

Hopefully this is almost over.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like this story has a 'satisfactory' ending. I don't want to say happy as I would have preferred this never to have happened. Satisfactory because the dealer addressed the issue to m satisfaction.

I was calm with the service rep and discussed what happened. There were a few awkward silent gaps in the discussion though. They cleaned it back to showroom condition and ran it for a while with no leaks or recurrence.

I think we were both unlucky it happened in the first place but we were both very lucky it wasn't much worse. I'll update if anything else happens but I hope I don't have to.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm choosing not to say. These things can go either way. Each case is different. The same situation may have turned out different on another day. Different people have different expectations. Different people may like, dislike or be indifferent to the same dealer, service rep or mechanic.

In any case, I'm choosing not to say.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
When I said before about the old gasket sticking to the housing when the filter was removed, I was referring to the 2.4L, which obviously does not apply to you.

On the 3.5L, there is an o-ring on the cap that needs to be replaced when the filter is changed. It comes in the box with the filter. There is a groove on the cap that the o-ring fits into, and if it isn't in the groove, it will pinch and possibly tear when the cap is tightened. I have personally seen this happen twice, luckily both times it was caught before it left the shop.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Our Mazda 6 lost about half its oil due to the filter not being tightened. That was about 4 years ago and it's still going strong, so I wouldn't worry about damage to your engine.

Generally, I've had good experiences with car servicing. Had one car grossly over-filled with oil; I drained it off (about 1 litre) and reported it to the service manager, who wouldn't believe me: "It couldn't have happened", he said. Never went there again and he got a lot of free publicity.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spongebob, I think that's what may have happened but wasn't caught before going out.

Wrycuda, that's good to hear as it sounds like about half was lost and half left in the car.

I'm glad this worked out and it was caught before anything more serious happened. It's much easier for both parties to work out a relatively small issue than what may have been a much larger issue.

I've had a good relationship with my dealer and it's still good.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
This is one of the reasons I always change my own oil. I drive my Sorento and my wife's Cruze up on the ramps, drain the oil, replace the filter, refill the oil and I'm done. I look at the filter to make sure the old gasket came off and I make sure the new new filter is snugged up...not too tight, not too loose. I can do a complete oil change in less time than it takes me to just drive to the dealer. So, I'm saving time, money and I know the job was done right.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Sorento SX 1993 Sedan DeVille 1993 Ext Cab Silverado 1971 Malibu 1975 FMC Motor Coach
72 Posts
I have chaged the oil in all my vehicles for over 50 years. The Sorento is high enough I do not need ramps or jacks. The quick drain valve with a short hose makes it quick, clean and easy.

Search results :: Qwik Valve

F106N: Nipple Type Oil Drain Valve 14mm-1.5

1 - 20 of 27 Posts