Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who manufacturers the new Kia Sedona eight speed automatic transmission? Did a little research but didn't find anything. Does anyone have a link to more accurate information on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Kia Carnival / Sedona Platinum Turbo Diesel
9 Posts
It appears to be made in-house by Kia

Apparently the 8 speed RWD gearbox in the Stinger is also in-house by Kia / Hyundai and is very closely "based" on the ZF 8 speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kia/Hyundai MAKES their own automatic transmissions???? I was not aware of that. I have never in my life owned a Kia vehicle and the 2020 Sedona is my first one and I'm not familiar with what Kia/Hyundai do or make for themselves. Mmmmm I wonder if this is really accurate and trustworthy information.

This is very interesting and all new to me. I am a professional photographer and in the photography world, when it comes to camera lenses for example, some camera companies come out with brand new lenses and they do say is "their" lens but the truth is that someone else makes it for them and they just rebadge it. I wonder if this is somehow a similar case. I was just not aware that Kia/Hyundai made transmissions.

If this is a fact, how reliable are this transmissions and how long can we expect for them to last, for example comparing it to my 2007 Toyota Sienna which right now has 170,000 and is still running like a champion? What can we expect from Kia and this particular transmission?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the first 8 speed was made by toyota for the 2007 LS-460, but might be wrong. Germans ZF may have bought/used some of toyota's patents for it?

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
153 Posts
Kia/Hyundai MAKES their own automatic transmissions????
Kia/Hyundai has been making their own trannies for a while now. They were using either Aisin or ZF slushboxes. Both my '09 Genesis and '07 Veracruz had Aisin 6sp. Since then, Hyundai/Kia started with their own 6sp auto design that has been in many of their lines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my 6spd in my 2017 has been ok. It had a VERY hard shift, once. I thought the car's engine had just seized while entering the highway, but after one or 2 seconds, I got power to the wheels again. I just made a big jerk like if we got hit by a truck in the back, and it hesitated, seemed dead for a sec. Then I tried to check the tranny oil, but NO DIPSTICK! come on, KIA!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sedona SXL 8-Pax, 2012 BMW 335i (F30), 2005 Lexus RX330
118 Posts
my 6spd in my 2017 has been ok. It had a VERY hard shift, once. I thought the car's engine had just seized while entering the highway, but after one or 2 seconds, I got power to the wheels again. I just made a big jerk like if we got hit by a truck in the back, and it hesitated, seemed dead for a sec. Then I tried to check the tranny oil, but NO DIPSTICK! come on, KIA!
Because Lifetime Transmission Fluid...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts