Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally bought my 2012 rio April of 2012. I bought it on the salesmen talking to me about the 40mpg I was looking at getting a hybrid because I drive about 100 miles per day. I noticed quickly my rio could not hit the 40mpg mark no matter what I did. I reached out asking about is but was told I didn't have any options to return the vehicle . Soon the news broke that my estimated mpg had been overstated. I checked m rebate quote to see a insulting $120 . I put $5,000 cash down as well as traded in my 02 dodge ram 1500 quad cab in excellent condition for only 3,000 extra on my cash down payment. So I had a total of 8k down. I paid about 16500 for the rio. I went in a few days ago to see if ere was any other options as I would never have purchased the car had the correct mileage been stated and they valued my trade at only 11k. My car is mint condition not a single scratch scuff or any sign of wear. So 15,000 miles and 8 months my vehicle has dropped a large amount. I have not been offers any other resolution other than this rebate card which to be honest only covers the difference in mileage not the fact that I don't want a vehicle that is rated with these miles. There are plenty of nicer vehicles I could have bought that rated the same as the actual mileage. I have since been considering a small claims option instead of joining the class action things on the net. I'm wondering how many people feel the same as me. I've pretty much lost my truck and cash investment in this short of a time which seems crazy. I find it hard to think that the change in mpg won't also change the value of the cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ps the salesman I had I asked him specified if it got the stated 40mpg that kia claimed because of the hybrid horror story's I've heard on the net. He showed me that he actually owned the exact same rio I was looking at and said his car averages well over 40mpg and that without a doubt the mpg was accurate.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
You keep saying all these things about your Ram and how you will never see it again........sounds like no matter what car you bought, Kia or any "other" car, your Ram would have been gone, either way.
The way I see it, Kia/hyd is doing a lot more than any other car company is doing for this problem, IE: The rebate. The goverment didn't make them do this. You do know it is for the lifetime of you owning this Kia.
PS, Salesman lie!!!!!!

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio 1.4 Strike
15 Posts
Two issues here

A) Cars go down in value as you own them

B ) Fuel economy was overstated

A is a fact of life. B is a fact that I can't quite believe Kia/Hyundai are compensating for given that here in the EU fuel economy figures rarely reflect real life achievable figures yet we don't get compensation...

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
of course your value is down when you want to trade that new (and also depends on what you are trading on) this applies to any new vehicle when you trade that new, that has nothing to do with EPA mileage adjustment which on the Rio dropped from a rated Highway 40 to 37 or 36 depending on the transmission.

We don't know how you drive the vehicle, the salesman could be correct in the way he drives and his conditions he may get 40. There is so many factors that can effect mileage. You could get 10 people to drive the same vehicle over the same route and I bet you will get 10 different rating for mpg.

How do you know that these other vehicles that claim 40 that you wouldn't haven't just the same as what you get on the Rio. By the way, what mileage are you getting on your Rio?

If you were purchasing the Rio simply because of the mileage then it would have not been the vehicle to buy in the first place. You could have bought a Prius or similar but you would have paid at lease $10,000 more.

You did no say what this trade value of $11k was against what vehicle?

Here's Why Real-World MPG Doesn't Match EPA Ratings

My Soul had the largest adjustment of any the Kia models that were effected (and only 35% were) but to me its just a "paper adjustment" it didn't suddenly make my vehicle get any worse mileage when they announced it. I never expected to get EPA figures as in most cases its unrealistic to expect it, however, sometime you do. I'm not upset about the mileage it gets, but sure I would like more - everybody would, but then again mileage is important but its not my #1 priority otherwise I would never have purchased it in the first place.
However, its nice to get the rebate which will continue as long as I own the vehicle and I think it was commendable of Kia/Hyundai to offer it, if they hadn't it really wouldn't have bothered me, but I'm not going to turn it down.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 LX+ Auto, 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
11 Posts
I love that i get some free money :)

My car is free* and now they are giving me money just to drive it!!! Can't go wrong :)

*ps: My fun car uses lots of gas, so by driving this as a daily beater I save enough on fuel monthly to pay the lease payment... so YES I AM HAPPY

I'm glad i made an INFORMED decision... ;)

pps: dealers take trades on Wholesale value not Market value. Stop stressing over $20 a month and go and enjoy life

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
Two issues here

A) Cars go down in value as you own them

B ) Fuel economy was overstated

A is a fact of life. B is a fact that I can't quite believe Kia/Hyundai are compensating for given that here in the EU fuel economy figures rarely reflect real life achievable figures yet we don't get compensation...
well said ...;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So none of you think that kia released this program almost instantly to avoid a huge class action law suite as almost all others have had in the past? I get about 35mpg tops. I have actually had a independent company check it as we'll. Now of course any vehicle will have a loss in value but this is drastic. As far as not choosing this vehicle for mileage I'm not exactly sure what that means? You shouldn't go by the window sticker that is by law supposed to be correct? I was going to purchase a more expensive vehicle instead of this but was talked into this one because it reached 40mpg and we were settling at that. Kia was pretty much forced to reveal this information because it was going to be revealed anyways. They decided to try and avoid a huge law suite by most owners by offering this plan also to avoid a buy back and not looking like liars. what do they say whoever smelt it dealt it? People seem to think a little change in there pocket makes up for the law and the way that a company is supposed to truthfully advertise a product to a consumer. These of course are my personal thoughts of course but it strikes me as odd that more people aren't willing to stand up to this. But then again make people think its fair? Gas prices are at a all time high on a number of days and continue to go up. There also doesn't seem to be a adjustment in the plan for the change in prices. His wasn't a thread intended to argue with other members who are in my situation but your taking the side of a company who mislead you am I wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
of course your value is down when you want to trade that new (and also depends on what you are trading on) this applies to any new vehicle when you trade that new, that has nothing to do with EPA mileage adjustment which on the Rio dropped from a rated Highway 40 to 37 or 36 depending on the transmission.

We don't know how you drive the vehicle, the salesman could be correct in the way he drives and his conditions he may get 40. There is so many factors that can effect mileage. You could get 10 people to drive the same vehicle over the same route and I bet you will get 10 different rating for mpg.

How do you know that these other vehicles that claim 40 that you wouldn't haven't just the same as what you get on the Rio. By the way, what mileage are you getting on your Rio?

If you were purchasing the Rio simply because of the mileage then it would have not been the vehicle to buy in the first place. You could have bought a Prius or similar but you would have paid at lease $10,000 more.

You did no say what this trade value of $11k was against what vehicle?

Here's Why Real-World MPG Doesn't Match EPA Ratings

My Soul had the largest adjustment of any the Kia models that were effected (and only 35% were) but to me its just a "paper adjustment" it didn't suddenly make my vehicle get any worse mileage when they announced it. I never expected to get EPA figures as in most cases its unrealistic to expect it, however, sometime you do. I'm not upset about the mileage it gets, but sure I would like more - everybody would, but then again mileage is important but its not my #1 priority otherwise I would never have purchased it in the first place.
However, its nice to get the rebate which will continue as long as I own the vehicle and I think it was commendable of Kia/Hyundai to offer it, if they hadn't it really wouldn't have bothered me, but I'm not going to turn it down.

Well said it was a used 2011 sportage with 36000 miles that showed a large amount of wear. My car is a 2012 rio with 15000 miles and no visible wear.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I get about 35mpg tops.
So either you can't efficiently drive, or can't do math.

35 MPG is from a full tank, right? If so, is it ALL highway?
No, for sure it is not. Hence, you CAN'T say you do not achieve 40 MPG US if some part of the tank is city, plus COLD start, and some is highway.

Keep in mind that 40 MPG was achieved at steady speed on highway. It was based on a test, not a whole tank.

And your RAM would not get close to it no matter what you do... so stop comparing these two.

Finally, since you expect KIA to pay You, I guess I should pay Them back since I regularly go above their estimates. For my 2009 Elantra I get 32 (from tank) in city. It is rated well below...

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
So none of you think that kia released this program almost instantly to avoid a huge class action law suite as almost all others have had in the past?
Of course they did. But they didn't have to do anything. They could have waited and taken a chance on lawsuits.

Question....did you accept the gas card? If so then forget further lawsuits

I too am not happy with the deception, but I still love the car. If you are getting 35 mpg at any point then you are very close to the new estimates.

My advice is either A: cut your losses and trade it in, B: learn how to maximize your mileage and do the best you can or C: forget about it and enjoy your new car. I'm doing C with a little bit of B.

People still look at my car and comment on it's great looks, and are amazed at things like heated leather seats, heated power folding mirrors, back up camera, led drl's etc. So far nobody has said "hey isnt that the car that had its mileage reduced?"

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I was one of the unsatisfied Kia customers with my 2012 Rio FE. I bought it with 4.9L/100km highway and 5.9L/100km city which are approximately 40mpg city and 50mpg highway. Of course, I was sold on this argument by the Kia dealer. Never could make it. Not even close. The new numbers add a fraction of L per kilometer. Actually adding 1 to 1.5 L by 100 km, I come close to these numbers and I've gone over a few times. That is: 6.0-6.5 L/ highway and 7.0-7.7L city. Not that bad but again not the new numbers of Kia and Hyundai. If I had seen these figures on the window sticker, I would probably have bought the SEL Fiesta for which I was undecided. My brother-in-law drives one and his FE is right on target with Ford numbers so I would not have had any disappointment and I liked the Fiesta a lot but a little less than the Rio. Today, 8 months later, I accept the fact that I will never get those magical numbers I once saw printed on a white paper stuck on a window. You know...imprinted in your brain. But I'm glad I did not buy the Fiesta after all. As for the card, I will have it soon. Is it anything else than a small bonus. I think Kia is commendable for taking this approach. Not sure Ford or GM would have done the same. What the heck if their secret motive is to avoid a huge lawsuit. I'll take their money any time.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
If you are buying your cars by gas usage you all should switch to bicycle.

Gas mileage is just one part of the equations. Style, equipment, show off, etc. all play a role when choosing a vehicle.

I would be EXTREMELY happy if manufacturer of my car (or any future car I am to own) provides me with the cash back to cover difference between their 'estimate' and 'actual' gas usage. I CONSTANTLY achieve BETTER mileage then Honda said I will ever achieve with Accord on a highway. How? I know how to drive. Even in the city driving in winter I never reach their estimate. Always better...

Previous poster said he/she never achieves advertised numbers. But of course never provided at what speed he/she drives. Highway driving at 120 is NOT what any car is tested and estimated. If you driving at 120-130km/h you will NOT get 4.9L/100km.

You all KIA owners should be very happy owning a nice car AND having KIA paying for your gas. Learn to drive properly and you will have free ride for the life of car.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hello, you're right MaybeKia, I didn't provide my driving habits. I'm a Sunday driver. By choice and cause I don't want to see "7.9-8.5 L/100km" on the trip computer. Eco is on, depress gaz pedal as if there was an egg between the rubber and the sole of my shoe, do a lot of cruising before breaking soooo gently. On highways at 90-100km/h, almost no city driving, uses Ac in summer in order not to have the windows opened, uses sunroof some times though. In short, I drive like a grandma. Stay in the right lane and absolutely no sporty driving. Then you have the numbers. Not to say I'm unhappy with this kind of driving, just to say getting the best mileage from a Rio is an every minute job.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
I'm happy with the reimbursement, because the alternative would be either a.) nothing or b.) a class action lawsuit that would result in each owner getting a one time check for $15 and a team of lawyers getting $500 million.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
So the two main issues you have are mileage and trade-in value...

Well, the mileage issue has been a complaint of owners for quite a while. If you had taken the time to do some research before plopping down $16K on the word of a car salesman (YIKES), that wouldn't be an issue. You blindly believe a car salesman, then publicly complain that they suckered you into a sale... kind of like being mad at a shark who bites a swimmer...

So now you go back to the same shark to see how much they'll give you in trade... lol they have already tasted your blood and know they will probably get more. Why not just enjoy the car? 35MPG is still really good. What money you are saving in fuel compared to your truck more than pays for your Rio. I get 38.5 with my manual tranny on the highway, 30 when I'm having fun.

It seems like you aren't going to be able to get over it and that it will continue add stress to your life, so maybe you should get rid of it and move on. Trade it in at a different dealer (or better yet sell it yourself) and you'll probably get a better deal.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Dont live in fear of the gas pedal. We been finding we get better economy the less we baby them. Last few weeks I been doing weekend runs along Great Ocean Road. Each trip done is around 360km of very twisty road, keeping the car between 2nd-4th easily getting to 80k and economy came back at 6.4. Little Kia was driven hard.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Wow. How dismissive is that?! There IS an issue with the mileage of this car as evidenced by the fact that Kia has altered the numbers and is compensating oweners. I'm very happy that YOU know how to drive while the rest of us ignorant Kia owners are just idiots who put the peddle to the metal and then complain about mileage.

I've been driving for 35 years. I don't achieve the estimates even when I baby it and hypermile. It's rather arrogant to just blame my driving style (and every other Kia owner's) just because YOU are able to exceed the estimates in your car. Which, by the way, isn't a Kia. Why are you even here?

If you are buying your cars by gas usage you all should switch to bicycle.

Gas mileage is just one part of the equations. Style, equipment, show off, etc. all play a role when choosing a vehicle.

I would be EXTREMELY happy if manufacturer of my car (or any future car I am to own) provides me with the cash back to cover difference between their 'estimate' and 'actual' gas usage. I CONSTANTLY achieve BETTER mileage then Honda said I will ever achieve with Accord on a highway. How? I know how to drive. Even in the city driving in winter I never reach their estimate. Always better...

Previous poster said he/she never achieves advertised numbers. But of course never provided at what speed he/she drives. Highway driving at 120 is NOT what any car is tested and estimated. If you driving at 120-130km/h you will NOT get 4.9L/100km.

You all KIA owners should be very happy owning a nice car AND having KIA paying for your gas. Learn to drive properly and you will have free ride for the life of car.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Even thought the MPG was not correct, I am still happy with my purchase. It is a great fun car to drive, it still gets good gas mileage (even though it is not what they stated). I do the majority of my driving on the highway at speeds about 110KM/H and still have good mileage.

Yes I do agree that it sucks that they said it did something that it does not, but atleast they are admitting it and being proactive with it by giving us money as long as we own the car. I would have bought this car regardless. My wife has a Rio, my father in-law has a Kia Forte, I have friends that drive Kias with 0 complaints.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I've been driving for 35 years. I don't achieve the estimates even when I baby it and hypermile.
Honestly, if you indeed "hypermiled" your car you would exceed the estimates. And let me point out - it does not matter how many years you have been driving. It matters how, where, and when you drive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts