Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2011 Sorento has around 115,000 miles and has been making a whining noise for a while now. I replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler pulley but the noise remains. Now that it's getting warm out, we've noticed that the AC is not blowing cold air and she just said she noticed a burning smell. I'm thinking the AC compressor is bad, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
That's not really much to go on. Does the whine change in pitch as you increase the throttle? It could be any of the belt driven accessories or even the idler pulley. On my 2013, I got a slight power steering pump whine and "jittery" steering feel at about 5 years old. I used a large syringe and a piece of tubing to "siphon" the power steering fluid out of the reservoir and refilled with this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-Multi-Vehicle-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768 (this is the same fluid to use for changing your transmission fluid)

Then I started it up and turned the steering wheel lock to lock about a dozen times.
Shut the car down.
Repeat 3-4 times.

The whine disappeared and the steering returned to it's normal smooth operation.

If you suspect the A/C compressor, you can see if cycling the A/C on and off causes the whine to come and go.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,811 Posts
My wife's 2011 Sorento has around 115,000 miles and has been making a whining noise for a while now. I replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler pulley but the noise remains. Now that it's getting warm out, we've noticed that the AC is not blowing cold air and she just said she noticed a burning smell. I'm thinking the AC compressor is bad, any ideas?

Thanks
Describing a sound or noise is not easy, but you'll need to attempt a little better explanation, ......... does the pitch change with engine RPM at idle and driving, or does it change with speed, with it idling and the hood open does it come from the area of the aux belts?

Carefully try using a long screw driver with the back to your ear and the point on each aux device, alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, tensioner roller, .......

Is the burning smell like plastic or rubber, is it coming from the area of the aux belt, ......... could be a seized AC compressor if it only happens when its turned on.

Take a video with your phone and post it to YouTube and the link here.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 3.5 V6
22 Posts
You've replaced the belt & 2 pulleys with the sound remaining.
You also have a lack of A/C.

If you turn on the A/C (engaging the clutch on the compressor) does the sound change?
Also note if you happen to loose RPM's when turned on at idle.

It could be the compressor clutch causing the problem, or other issues with the A/C system since you indicated a lack of cool air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts