Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need an option on a whining noise coming from the passenger side of my 02 sportage. I have a sneak suspicion that it might be the idler pulley but I'm not sure how to tell for sure. I was debating on getting a stethoscope and listening to the bearings on the pulleys but I can't visually see any stationary parts on the pulley when the motor is running. No engine lights, however there is an airbag light that blinks intermittently when running. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For some reason it wouldn't let me add the video to the post so I've added a link to the video below.

Sound coming from engine.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
227 Posts
Take the belts off and feel of all the pulleys for looseness and roughness.

Steve 2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2WD USA

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
227 Posts
Just watched the video, is noise there with a/c off? Don't hear a whining noise but a clutch rattle.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just watched the video, is noise there with a/c off? Don't hear a whining noise but a clutch rattle.

So I had a friend turn the A/C on and off a few times while I was looking at the A/C Compressor and the only thing I noticed was the fan clutch would engage while the A/C was running, but the actual sound I'm trying to track down remained there.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if this helps or not as far as the A/C compressor being the culprit.. I had a friend turn the A/C on and off and all I'm hearing is the clutch engage and the engine fan kicking on. I'll take the belts off when it cools down and see how the pulleys look as well.

A/C Compressor Turning On & Off

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the belts off today and spun the pulleys to see which one was bad and the one that was making the noise was the idler pulley. I went ahead and replaced it and the engine is now squeal free! Thanks for all the input! 🙏

Attachments

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
227 Posts
Glad to hear you found it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts