Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

So recently I got a flat and used the full size spare to replace it and all has been well so far. I plan to get the original tire fixed soon.

Whats odd is that now, when I put the car into Drive and start going I get sort of a whine when I hit about 15-25 MPH then it will go away. Same when I slow down and hit that area. Could it be the fresh treads on that spare tire just being noisy while I break it in? Or could it be a drivetrain sort of issue?:confused:

Any input is appreciated, thanks^_^

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
The spare tire has probably been sitting in one position for 7 years and developed a flat spot. You'd probably whine after sitting i the same spot for 7yrs an then made to do something :)
Get your damaged tire repaired and back on...see if the noise goes away.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is true, LOL.

Thanks for the reply. Will do! Ill report back after the tire has been replaced.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
Depends on if you have TOD or not. Depends on if you put the previously unused spare on the front or rear. Depends on if your other tires are well worn or not.

TOD can be sensitive to variations in real tire size. If rears are effectively 'smaller' (rolling circumference) TOD can detect that as a spinning wheel relative to front. It then tries to engage. Noises have been variously described as whine, rumble, 'blowing over open top of a coke bottle' .... etc, etc.

The man at Kia says always put 'new' tires on rear if you cannot replace the set. (But beware variations in manufactured size between mfr's/brands for supposedly same size tires)

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, my rear tires are wearing on the outer edge, and the fronts are wearing on the inner edge. I have a feeling i'll have to replace all 4 tires. Gonna be expensiiiveeeeeeee :(

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
my rear tires are wearing on the outer edge(
Unusual! Given there is no alignment adjustment on the rear, have to be thinking something is bent. (Someone been jacking up car from under rear diff by any chance?) I would certainly be getting it checked to see how the alignment measures up to spec. (available at www.kiatechinfo.com )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts