Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio 1.4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daily driver 2009 kia rio 1.4 manual is starting to act strange at random times. Maybe once or twice a week I will be driving and while stopped at a light the engine will shut off. the music will still be playing and I won't notice it until I try to drive off. When this happens I try to restart the engine but it will only continue to crank over and won't fire. If I wait maybe two minutes and try cranking again it will start. It's pretty scary as this happens totally randomly and it's dangerous!
I have already tried cleaning the intake, checking for loose cables, checking battery and the spark plugs look good. No engine lights come up. It has 75k miles and timing belt changed at 60. I suspect fuel pump or bad injectors? Any help would be gladly appreciated!
Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings,

First, recommend turning down the stereo until the issue is fixed. :D

--
You mentioned / suspect fuel delivery as a possible cause -
has the fuel filter been changed? If original @ 75,000, it's overdue.

Would also be taking another look at the air filter and air intake to the airbox, making sure there are no restrictions in the air intake system..

If running aftermarket CAI, recommend cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner..

--
If original battery, you are approaching 4 years on it - I would recommend investing in an inexpensive digital multimeter and checking voltage at the battery to make sure the battery holding charge when vehicle off (12.5 - 13.2v), and the alternator/charging system is working properly under load (13.8 - 14.2v) under load (e.g.: headlamps/cabin heater blower on).

--
If you have aftermarket items installed (e.g. driving/fog lamps, stereo equipment, etc.), would recommend -disconnecting- all aftermarket items / set vehicle wiring back to stock, and run it for a period of time (several days / week) with stock wiring only to see if the issue goes away.

*If it does, you will need to Q/A wiring on each aftermarket component / hook up each one at a time (so you can identify the problem), and correct,

Would also recommend inspecting / cleaning up the battery terminals, and any ground points in the engine compartment / at each aftermarket component as needed.. And making sure the engine (motor) ground strap, is connected and in good condition..

Hope this helps,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 2 of 2 Posts