Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spectra, I'm looking to know are there any years to avoid? I notice they change their style pretty frequently, wondering if that's indicative of anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The 2004.5/2005 Spectra won the CJAC New Small Car of the Year award. JD Power ranked the 2005 above the Civic and Corolla, only behind the Prius for initial quality. The 2004.5 and 2005 use the Hyundai Beta 2.0L engine, which is a solid performer with an excellent track record. Given that most of the complaints for previous years have been with the engines, it looks like the new model is going to be a pretty tough cookie to beat. If you can, buy the new one.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must say anything that has the Beta or Alpha Hyundai engine is a Plus! these engines are fantastic, you wont be let down with the new Hyundai Beta engine....

Hahah, i'm a bit bias i own an Elantra 2.0 Beta... I love the power and torque it has for such a small car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 2004 that is very quickly becoming a nightmare. It depreciated about $12,000.00 in the year that I've had it. My air conditioner and heater have been messing up since November. The "customer service" number is a joke!! My average wait time is about 40 minutes, then I have to wait 24 hours for them to make a desicion. The car is awful, and now I/m stuck with it because no one wants them. Please, do an internet search like "kia complaints" before you buy one, there's a web-site called kia sucks, I wish I had seen them before I bought my lemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I work with some one that has a 02 Spectra. He says its a great car and has had no issues with it. My 05 Spectra SX is a great car too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just unloaded a 2002 Spectra. Trouble from the start. Let me see...

virtually no trade in value

couldn't shift into gear (automatic)- took to trips to the dealer before they found an exposed wire in the hatch shorting out the system.

truck latch broke- dealer and kia refused to fix after the dealer tried to say I broke it (had it fixed where I reach high school, turned out to be a broken spring

air conditioner stopped worked, a linkage under the dash broke

haed gasket

water pump

trim fell off the hatch

various hardware inside the hatch area fell off

everytime I turned the air on when the headlights were on the lights dimmed, probably why I had to replace so many bulbs

wheel bearing and spindle (the mechanic (independent) also told me the transmission was making some sounds to be concerned about

blown speaker in right door

Hard to recommend the 2002 Spectra...

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
46 Posts
I love my 2004.5 spectra *same as 2005, mostly*, exellent power, ton of possibilities for future mods too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts