Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title...

I'm pretty much decided that I will be buying a 2013 Rio 5 Door, after a looooooong perior of considering it versus a Focus, a Fiesta, an Elantra, an Accent, and a Dart.

I should also mention right off the bat that I am Canadian ;)

My question is (and I realize that this is a very subjective thing)... do I go for the very well equipped EX UVO at $19k, or do the bigger wheels (17 > 16 inch), "sport" suspension, keyless pushbutton start, etc, really make enough of a difference to go $2500 more for the SX UVO at $21.5k? My driving is 90% commuting on decent roads (some roughness expected of a 7-months-a-year winter-locked city), 10% true highway mileage outside of the city. Primary non-commuting usage would be regular runabout duty, ie to the grocery, to the movies, to a friends place, etc. I also do enjoy to go out for a good "drive" once in a while, which is why the SX is even in contention.

I don't need Nav as I have a Garmin Nuvi to transplant from my current car to this one.

I am looking to buy in April.

Thoughts, advice, horror stories, comments? :lol:

·
Registered
Red Kia Rio SX
11 Posts
I have an SX but without the premium package and I got it for $17450. Not sure if things are just more expensive in Canada but $19k seems pretty steep for a EX. Also, I did have a deal worked up for an SX WITH premium for $18995 but issues with my trade in prevented that from going through. With that being said, in my opinion, it is well worth the upgrade to the SX. For me, I was going to buy new wheels if I got the EX anyways so it made sense to pay only slightly more to get nice rims. Although you may not care about that considering the climate you live in. But it also has the LED tail lights, projector headlights and LED accents on the headlights which really do look awesome. Also, the SX has paddle shifters in automatic if that matters to you. A little stiffer suspension for cornering and such is also only on the SX. I didnt really mind not getting the premium package because the only thing I liked with that was the sunroof. Push button start is cool but its not that hard to put a key in and turn. I never really like built in NAV. And leather wasn't a big priority although you may like it for its heated seats.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
As per the title...

I'm pretty much decided that I will be buying a 2013 Rio 5 Door, after a looooooong perior of considering it versus a Focus, a Fiesta, an Elantra, an Accent, and a Dart.

I should also mention right off the bat that I am Canadian ;)

My question is (and I realize that this is a very subjective thing)... do I go for the very well equipped EX UVO at $19k, or do the bigger wheels (17 > 16 inch), "sport" suspension, keyless pushbutton start, etc, really make enough of a difference to go $2500 more for the SX UVO at $21.5k? My driving is 90% commuting on decent roads (some roughness expected of a 7-months-a-year winter-locked city), 10% true highway mileage outside of the city. Primary non-commuting usage would be regular runabout duty, ie to the grocery, to the movies, to a friends place, etc. I also do enjoy to go out for a good "drive" once in a while, which is why the SX is even in contention.

I don't need Nav as I have a Garmin Nuvi to transplant from my current car to this one.

I am looking to buy in April.

Thoughts, advice, horror stories, comments? :lol:

Allo, I'm in Montréal. I can answer to all of your questions and hesitations since I had the same one year ago (on April 19). And I too hesitated between the same cars (minus Dart and Focus that I hated). So here's the plain truth. Better mileage (1-3 more L/100km) go for the Fiesta but boring boring. Bigger with about same FE: Elantra. But you'll own everybody else car nowadays plus it aint so fun to drive. A little upscale finition: Accent but boring boring boring and more uncle's car. So I went for the EX Rio cause I do almost the same: visiting friends, shopping, a trip to the country once in a while. Since I live in the suburbs, I don't do that much city. My EX fulfills all my needs. From exterior, you can see a difference between LX and EX, but not so easy to do se between EX and SX. Have to concentrate on the rims. Handling is superb and the ride smooth but road and tire noises are definitely there. You get used to it. Dealer told me the ride in SX would be a little hasher and the breaking a little shorter. Depends on your driving habits. What I actually miss: heating steering and SX exclusive cluster which is beautiful. What I don't miss: leather seats, metal pedals, push button start, auto climate and Nav. Who needs Nav to go to the next Wal-Mart if it's what you primary do? As for 17 inch tires and spectaculars rims, I for one find the ones on EX totally satisfying and I also find them attractive. Horror stories? Don't have any. Some disappointment in the FE department and some little winter squeaks but nothing to be alarmed. I've had the car for nearly one year and no major issues until now. Heating is powerful and fast, AC could be a little colder though, UVO sound is not terrible also but phones pair in a flash. In a nutshell: if it were not for the deceptive FE, it would be a Wonder car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RedKia13: Canada is a little more expensive, but come with a heck of a lot of the US optional kit as standard. For example, heated seats and sideview mirrors are Standard in our LX+ and higher models.

Look up the models here: New Cars, SUVs, Sedans, Hybrid Cars | Kia Canada <-- to see what the standard equipment is :)

Racineur: Merci pour votre commentaire. L'hivers Montréalais sont condamnés à froid :eek: Bon à savoir que la voiture peut traiter Montréal :lol:

(My French is very rusty, hopefully that made grammatical sense :eek: )

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
its your money only you can decide what version. Same thing when I bought my Soul (a 2u vs 4u), I decided what features I wanted and purchased accordingly. If your split between two models then check both out at the dealer for features and then drive both to see if can justify the extra cost for your specific use.

I also take photos of each model and then can compare them at home with side by side shots, sometimes you notice things that you don't always spot in person.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
I would have to agree with the above posts, the decision is really a personal one. It depends on what features you want. I personally chose the SX w/UVO, no Nav. I knew my primary use was commuting to and from work, stuck in traffic. I wanted a lot of luxury/comfort for the interior since that is where I would spend most of the time. The leather is nice, easy to maintain and clean. The heated wheel and seats are wonderful this time of year. I don't miss having to wear gloves to drive in the winter.

I noticed you are comparing a range of cars, compacts and sub-compacts. Was the initial list based on price point? When I did an initial comparison it was with direct competitors in the same class, Fiesta, Fit, and so on. The Dart wasn’t available at the time I purchased mine, though I would have seriously considered it at the time. Why did you not choose the Dart?

I have owned my 2013 Rio 5 SX w/UVO for nearly 7 months. I really enjoy it a lot. It has great HP for the class and with the 6 speed auto, it is fairly responsive. I do enjoy the shiftronic sport mode. The UVO unit is really great and functional. I chose not to go with a Nav unit as I use my Android phone for navigation. This works well because I primarily use my phone for music too. So it will mute the music for direction cues. Otherwise I couldn’t listen to Google Nav over the car stereo and listen to the radio or Sirius for example. The car has proven itself for hauling Ikea furniture. I do appreciate the raised trunk floor with cargo tray as it allows you to slide long items straight in. I believe the EX has this as well.

I am in love with the auto features such as the heated seats and head lights. The car will go from day time running lights (LEDs) to headlights and off without me ever having to do anything. The pseudo 3d effect on the supervision cluster is something everyone comments on. Had the revised Rio (2012/2013) been out a year early, my fiancée would have purchased one over her Fiesta SES. It really is a great car and with the features a great value.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
I wanted the SX because of the premium package & I needed an auto trans. In my area an SX in auto & premium packe are far & few between but I found 1 @ anothe dealer & had it shipped up. I really like my Rio5. I was looking @ the same car options as vagabond was but the Rio5 beat them all for the options & warranty.

Rick

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willywidget: You live in the same city as I do :D

The IKEA mention is important, as I live a 10 minute drive from IKEA and pretty much ALL my furniture comes from there (what? I like Scandinavian design! (and the fact you can have breakfast in the store as well :D)). So the fact a Rio5 can haul IKEA stuff is good :)

I do realize it is all about personal taste, and I can afford either trim level without issue... I just don't want to overbuy. I'm very value-for-money oriented (which is why i did not choose the Dart, you needed to spec it up a lot to get the same level of gear as a Rio5 and it cost about $6k more), and I research the nuts off of anything I buy.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
I just purchased my Kia Rio 5 SX with Navigation in December, and I thought I wanted the EX all the way to the dealership. I ended up with the SX because I got a great deal, and honestly I love the added features. The large screen is great when using the backup camera, and leather looks fantastic. The best thing to do is to compare both models and decide for yourself whether you would like the extra features. I love the look of the 17" rims, I get compliments on the them all the time. Also, the projection headlights give the car a very upscale look. I don't think you would regret it if you got the SX, but it's totally a personal choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Went with the $19k EX with convenience package. Wanted a separate GPS so I could upgrade every few years and also 15" 65 series tires for the bad roads.

Looking back at the SX I say "well......I could have." but then "nah.... still happy."

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I am in Canada....

I bought the SX because i wanted leather and it was only available in the SX when i bought... as well, i did not go for the navigation as they wanted an extra 1500 for the unit, but thats all the extra... way too much for navigation if you ask me.

Love the SX, love the 17" wheels, love the heated leather, love the tan leather in white combo, thats why i bought.

I am getting 36mpg IMPERIAL (7.6 to 7.9 l/100km) in mostly city driving, so I am happy with that as well.

Good luck on your selection... nice little city car if youa sk me.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I went with the SX and I'm glad I did. Heated steering is nice. But what I really most appreciate, and never thought I would, is the push button start. It's sooooo nice to just walk up to the car, open the door, and drive away, without ever having to reach for the key fob. The 17's give the car a better overall look too. For me, the difference in price between the EX and the SX is worth it. In the long run I knew that if I had decided to "cheap out" for lack of a better term, I would have been sorry for it later.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I went with the SX and I'm glad I did. Heated steering is nice. But what I really most appreciate, and never thought I would, is the push button start. It's sooooo nice to just walk up to the car, open the door, and drive away, without ever having to reach for the key fob. The 17's give the car a better overall look too. For me, the difference in price between the EX and the SX is worth it. In the long run I knew that if I had decided to "cheap out" for lack of a better term, I would have been sorry for it later.
You're a bit right. Sometimes I say to myself I should have gone for the SX trim. Surprisingly, my dealer didn't push the sale for an SX cause I had insisted on a smooth ride which was important to me coming from a Neon 2000 which had lot of torque but was noisy as a train and rough riding as a bronco! So he didn't recommend the SX which was what I wanted in first place. He convinced me for the smoother ride of the EX with its 16in tires. Is the SX ride so rough and tough? How would you qualify your ride. Mine is quite smooth OK but the road and tire noise is quite high also. Well that's all you can hear since the engine is practically silent at 90-120 km/h.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My roommate has a 2012 Optima SX Turbo with all the bells and whistles. I do agree, the no-jiggling-about-for-a-key aspect is VERY tempting, as it does suck to stand in the middle of a train station parking lot in a blizzard fubling in your satchel for a key while your nose is freezing off. Being able to hop in, push a button, and drive off without having to take my gloves off = a small comfort in words, but in our -20 C or below winters, a finger saver.

Auto climate control same thing. Set temp, let car handle the heating and such. Fumbling around with gloves on in my current 1994 Mazda 626 = have to really concentrate to hit the airflow buttons hard enough for them to actually click into place :p

It looks like it may very well be worth the ~$2500.... the less faffing about I have to do, the sooner I can be off to/home from the train station (I take an in-city light rail train to work)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I was about to chime in on the wheel size. For your type of driving, I would recommend the 65 profile 15" tyres; better ride and greater protection from road hazards. When it comes to replacing the tyres, the lower cost is a bonus. Decent 15" tyres in Oz are about $140 vs. $240 for 17". I recommend Yokohama or Michelin.

One of my cars has keyless entry and it's convenient, especially if you are familiar with the "Wifey Toxic Handbag Syndrome", but it's not a deal-changer. Possible less maintenance on switch/lock gear for cars that are used for a lot of stop-go delivery work, but that's a minor issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Willywidget: You live in the same city as I do :D

The IKEA mention is important, as I live a 10 minute drive from IKEA and pretty much ALL my furniture comes from there (what? I like Scandinavian design! (and the fact you can have breakfast in the store as well :D)). So the fact a Rio5 can haul IKEA stuff is good :)

I do realize it is all about personal taste, and I can afford either trim level without issue... I just don't want to overbuy. I'm very value-for-money oriented (which is why i did not choose the Dart, you needed to spec it up a lot to get the same level of gear as a Rio5 and it cost about $6k more), and I research the nuts off of anything I buy.
That's cool, another possible Rio owner in Calgary. We should start a meet up. I see so few here. As for the Ikea stuff, I can give you some exact product numbers that have successfully fit in the back of my Rio with two passengers up front and comfortable leg room.

Thanks for the response about the Dart. I immediately noticed the same thing when I spec'd out what I would want which was $4~6k over the cost of my Rio. As much fun as it would be to have more HP, 4 wheel independent suspension and all the stuff that would make it more fun to drive; I realized that I would be stuck in day to day traffic more often than not. The 8” infotainment screen and 7” cluster screen are cool, as is some of the other cool features.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My roommate has a 2012 Optima SX Turbo with all the bells and whistles. I do agree, the no-jiggling-about-for-a-key aspect is VERY tempting, as it does suck to stand in the middle of a train station parking lot in a blizzard fubling in your satchel for a key while your nose is freezing off. Being able to hop in, push a button, and drive off without having to take my gloves off = a small comfort in words, but in our -20 C or below winters, a finger saver.

Auto climate control same thing. Set temp, let car handle the heating and such. Fumbling around with gloves on in my current 1994 Mazda 626 = have to really concentrate to hit the airflow buttons hard enough for them to actually click into place :p

It looks like it may very well be worth the ~$2500.... the less faffing about I have to do, the sooner I can be off to/home from the train station (I take an in-city light rail train to work)
Yeah, I forgot the push button ignition is awesome and handy. The auto-climate control is exceptional. I really never fuss with it and leave it at 22 degrees. The auto defrost is great, I never have to worry about my windows fogging. Especially getting in the car at the end of the day, -30 out, I just start up and drive away.

If it is a cold week, it helps to leave the heated wheel on when you shut off your car, it will then automatically come on when you start it the next time. Though I think it is designed for folks wearing gloves, because it gets way too warm/hot for me and I have to turn it off after only a couple of minutes in to my commute.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Is the SX ride so rough and tough? How would you qualify your ride. Mine is quite smooth OK but the road and tire noise is quite high also.
My previous car was an '07 Versa, which had an extremely quiet and smooth ride. Compared to that the Rio is much rougher and noisier. Those little bumps and potholes are much more "jolty" But it didn't take much time before I barely noticed it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, there is no mistaking hitting a pot hole in the SX from the jolt to the noise. However I find that when you get a stretch of curvy road and can cruise, you do appreciate that firmness and feedback is good. There is even a few bumpy sections in the city that if I hit at a decent speed are fun with the SX ride.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts