Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,. I'm a bit confused which oil I should be using.
I'm in the UK and online local parts depo has 2 recommended oils (viscosity wise). 0w 30 & 5w 30. The dealer has alsway used 5w30 which I've decided to use.
Here's the problem. Listed is
5w30 fully synthetic
5w30 fully synthetic low sap c2
5w30 fully synthetic low sap c3
5w30 fully synthetic low sap c4
Prices fo from £23 to £65...
Which one should I go for in my 2012, 2.2 AWD sorento. 39k on the clock

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
782 Posts
What does your Owners Manual recommend?

SAE 0W-30 and 5W-30 are pretty much interchangeable. The first number with the "W" is the Winter rating of the oil and as such only comes into play in sub-zero temps. The second number is the "hot" rating of the oil and represents the viscosity range of the oil when it is circulating in a hot engine. [Note: the viscosity of oil is temperature dependent; in other words, a particular grade of oil will have a different viscosity (thickness) at different temperatures.]

And yes, I recommend using a 100% Full Synthetic Oil in the Sorento.

As for the 3 "C" categories, I'm assuming they are the "Commercial/Compression Ignition classifications" - which only apply to diesel engines and not gas/petrol engines.

Now as to the different "SAPS" levels (low/mid/high)...

European cars' emissions systems and after-treatment devices, such as Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs), are very sensitive to the SAPS (Sulfated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulfur) content of the oil. Consequently, some of those car engines require lower SAPS content to keep these systems functioning properly.

The ACEA and OEMs realized the importance of using motor oil formulated with precise SAPS levels to protect those emission systems, and lower limits were established in 2010.

SAPS comprise a significant part of a motor oil additive content. Sulfated Ash is not added to oil, it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash. The additives that can produce ash are most commonly used to achieve a higher Total Base Number (TBN), but also help in other areas, like anti-oxidancy, anti-wear, cleanliness, and soot handling. Phosphorus provides anti-wear properties and further anti-oxidancy, while Sulfur contributes anti-oxidancy, anti-wear properties, and engine cleanliness.

It should be pointed out that reducing the SAPS levels in motor oils also reduces the length of time the oil can remain in service (the maximum drain interval).

Richard

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks m8. i know what everything means though some was via google search. i was wondering if in the 8 yr since the car was produced if better alternatives had been made. kia manual recommends shell helix c3 5w30.
problem is in the uk its £68 ($115 canadian dollar ) for 5l and car takes 6.7L..
i dont want a budget oil ive never heard of and if no alternative i would pay the premium price one available on offer is castrol magnatec 5w30 c3 fully synthetic. cost between £25-£33 ($42-$56 canadian) for 4L...

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
You never said if you have a petrol or diesel engine. (I'm assuming petrol since I don't think KIA has released a diesel engine for the Sorento yet.)

The Shell Helix C3 is for use in both types of engines. It is very good oil but expensive.

However, there are much cheaper options available to you in the UK - especially for gasoline/petrol engines.

The Sorento doesn't require a special type or brand of oil. Any brand and type that meets the specs will do just fine.

P.S. The Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 fully synthetic would do just fine.

Richard

·
Registered
Sorento 2.2CRDi (2013)
99 Posts
In XM I used Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30 and now in XM FL I'm using Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 both are C3 spec. ;-)

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
542 Posts
You sure need to check auto parts stores or where they sell oils.
Shell recommended above seems as a very good choice.

I've heard good things about Elf as well:

also, check with UK guys at BITOG:

Check UK Amazon too, Mobil and Castrol may be good choices as well.

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sure need to check auto parts stores or where they sell oils.
Shell recommended above seems as a very good choice.

I've heard good things about Elf as well:

also, check with UK guys at BITOG:

Check UK Amazon too, Mobil and Castrol may be good choices as well.
thanks dubber. that site sure is cheaper than any of the sites ive been looking at the shell oil i was looking at was the link below though its a lot cheaper on the site you sent

elf was a common petrol company in the uk back in the 70s and 80s not seen much of them since so im not sure if its the same company

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
TOTAL Lubricants and ELF are the same company. (TOTAL acquired ELF in 2000)

KIA has had a partnership with TOTAL for several years now and recommends this oil for their vehicles.

TOTAL Quartz is the Factory Fill oil for KIA vehicles in Korea and probably several other Countries as well.

For more, click this LINK: KIA RECOMMENDS TOTAL

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts