Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried mounting my TomTom on the dash just above where the air bag light is. After many attempts of firmly placing the base on, then snapping the GPS into place, it eventually falls off at the most dangerous times. I noticed the dash is a textured surface, and it appears difficult for the Tom Tom's base to adhere to :(

My last attempt was by adding self stick tape to the base, hoping it would adhere better, but even that failed miserably. :rolleyes:

On my last vehicle, a 2010 Tucson GLS I had the GPS in the same place on the dashboard, and it held tight once, & for all! :confused:

It appears the dashboard on that was a smooth surface, not textured like the Sportage. I'm at my wits end with his thing falling off the dash, does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this, or where else to mount it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just stick mine on the windshield in the Sportage - but for another car I've used the flat plastic mount pad that TomTom's (at laest all of mine so far) come with when the dash was textured. The pad sticks to the dash, top is smooth so the suction cup will work.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Brett is right. If you do not want to stick it to the windshield then the best bet is the small black disk that is double sided sticky to the dash. Isn't the prettiest disk when the gps is not there though, but it normally works well.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
But, what I meant was I used the self stick disc from TomTom, and it wouldn't stick, once the GPS was snapped in, I'd constantly have the pad, & all, drop off at the random most inopportune times :mad:

Adding self stick tape helped a bit, but it still fell off
This never happened on my Tucson?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sprayed anything on the dash by chance? Some of the products containing silicone could definitely keep stuff from sticking.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage LX 2012
50 Posts
I bought so many of these suction type GPS mount but all failed. The one that works on me is that CD Slot Mount Holder type. ^^

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'd be cautious about sticking something other than a CD into the CD slot. I've never considered mounting the GPS anywhere other than low on the windscreen where it's easily seen.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I always mount mine to the bottom left of the windshield with the suction cup. I have never had a problem with it falling off, and IMO being mounted there is less obstructive than mounting the center of the windshield or the top center of the dash.

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6T-GDI DCT (UK)
20 Posts
I suppose it depends on how much you want to pay for a mount.

I use the Brodit mount for my smartphone.

They do specific holders for different phones and SatNavs, and I have had no problem with mine.

They are in two parts - a clip specific to the car, and a mount specific to the SatNav / Smartphone.

There are a few versions, depending on which vent you want it on, or one attached to the A-Pillar, or in the centre.

This is an exampe of just the mount on the A-Pillar

They are not cheap, but seem very well made and excellent quality

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
I always mount mine to the bottom left of the windshield with the suction cup. I have never had a problem with it falling off, and IMO being mounted there is less obstructive than mounting the center of the windshield or the top center of the dash.
Exactly... Also, the cord stays hidden around the steering column and is unobtrusive instead of dangling in front of the radio and air controls. The device is easy to reach and firmly mounted as well.

·
Registered
2012 White Sportage LX 6 Spd MT and 2016 Honda HR-V LX CWT
34 Posts
Here's mine a DIY.
I hardly use my GPS but if I do I place it here. It's easily remove and very stable.http://

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia Sportage Platinum 2.0 l turbo diesel
117 Posts

They do specific holders for different phones and SatNavs, and I have had no problem with mine.

They are in two parts - a clip specific to the car, and a mount specific to the SatNav / Smartphone.

There are a few versions, depending on which vent you want it on, or one attached to the A-Pillar, or in the centre.

This definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, This thread took off!

Many Thanks for all the responses, & great ideas. I ruined the self stick on the disc, so I probably will hafta replace it. Mounting the GPS on the mid dash works for us, so once I get a replacement disc I'll try to put it there again, after an alcohol swipe.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage Platinum Diesel
37 Posts

I've been using these mounts for years for all my cars. They're well made and always work as they should. Can recommend them if you want something thats going to last and often will interchange parts as you change your drive too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts