Kia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you have any plans for yours? Or have you done anything yet? I added a sub box and amp last week. I am going to order that lift kit you just shared and i want a brush guard with some more aggressive tires... not to aggressive but something like a bf goodrich all terrains.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
10 Posts
Do you have any plans for yours? Or have you done anything yet? I added a sub box and amp last week. I am going to order that lift kit you just shared and i want a brush guard with some more aggressive tires... not to aggressive but something like a bf goodrich all terrains.
Awesome, please let me know how it goes, I may order one as well. I have KO2s and a Roof top tent, would like to get a front brushguard or bumper made. Also going to make some skid plates. Also considering some hubcentric wheel spacers. But we will see.

·
Registered
2018 SPORTAGE LX AWD
52 Posts
This thread is giving me the itch to modify my Sportage.

If I do the lift using that kit that was posted, the side steps that I've also been interested in buying and installing won't look as stupid or unnecessary. I'm pretty sure the lift would necessitate an alignment but it's hard getting a good alignment done anywhere these days.

I know that the majority will disapprove, but I want to drill a large hole (maybe 3/8") in the exhaust pipe someplace right before the muffler to give it a louder sound. But I want to drill in a position where I'd be able to easily put a band clamp over the hole if I ever want to undo the modification.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
880 Posts
I know that the majority will disapprove, but I want to drill a large hole (maybe 3/8") in the exhaust pipe someplace right before the muffler to give it a louder sound. But I want to drill in a position where I'd be able to easily put a band clamp over the hole if I ever want to undo the modification.
If you want to do it right, just have a muffler shop install an exhaust cutout. Putting a hole in the wrong place could cause significant damage to your car -- or worse -- could cause a fire. If it is worth doing (and I would not do it), do it right....

·
Registered
2018 SPORTAGE LX AWD
52 Posts
If you want to do it right, just have a muffler shop install an exhaust cutout. Putting a hole in the wrong place could cause significant damage to your car -- or worse -- could cause a fire. If it is worth doing (and I would not do it), do it right....
Thanks for the suggestion but an exhaust leak near the muffler and aimed downward is not going to cause a fire.

The cutout (esp the electric ones) is cool and not a bad idea, but I'm not looking to bypass the muffler altogether, which would be too loud for me. I'm trying to add a little snark and a little growl to the exhaust but in a way that is easily reversible. I like the conciseness and sheer simplicity of drilling a hole on an exhaust pipe near to the muffler, and buying a lap joint clamp or so to cover the hole if I ever want it closed again. It's not fancy but I don't care. It's just an exhaust pipe.

Another thing I'd like to do is install an oil catch can to minimize oil going into the intake.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
880 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but an exhaust leak near the muffler and aimed downward is not going to cause a fire.

The cutout (esp the electric ones) is cool and not a bad idea, but I'm not looking to bypass the muffler altogether, which would be too loud for me. I'm trying to add a little snark and a little growl to the exhaust but in a way that is easily reversible. I like the conciseness and sheer simplicity of drilling a hole on an exhaust pipe near to the muffler, and buying a lap joint clamp or so to cover the hole if I ever want it closed again. It's not fancy but I don't care. It's just an exhaust pipe.

Another thing I'd like to do is install an oil catch can to minimize oil going into the intake.
You do realize that exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide so I wouldn't want to sit in a car with an "exhaust leak" for too long a time. Cutouts don't have to be large and typically they are not open all of the time. You can easily close them if you are idling. Cutouts aren't really that expensive -- and I certainly would not do a "ghetto" solution like putting a hole in my exhaust pipe. But it's your car and your life, so it's your decision. Generally, catch cans can do a good job, but with the tolerances of modern computer machined engines, blow-by is minimal and they don't do that much unless you mod your engine and raise the pressure in the cylinders. Mucked up pistons are just not a major problem on today's lower cost engines. Now if you built a track car, it's a different matter. Catch cans won't harm your car, but IMO, the added maintenance is just not worth it given the low level of blow-by. But again, if you change your own oil and empty the catch can each time, it is certainly not going to hurt. By the way, I used to track my cars (years ago), and always had catch cans....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts