Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST GOT THIS 2000 SEPHIA, HUBBY WASHED THE ENGINE, NOW IT MISSES AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. CAN'T LOCATED THE PLUGS!I WRENCH, AND AM DUMBFOUNDED. TURNS OUT THE MECHANIC TOLD ME TO TAKE OFF A COVER....AND THEY WEREN'T THERE! :p

·
Registered
1999 KIA Sephia LS
28 Posts
:) This has happened to me before in my 1999 sephia ls and the after i was done washing the engine also, it started shakin erratically (usually a sign of spark plugs that are fouled by something). I just clean the chamber and it stopped!

Here is a picture of the Engine bay:

see where it says "KIA DOHC" remove that cover. It's about 8 screws.
After the cover has been removed, you'll see two coil over packs(it looks like it has wax on top of it.) and two sparkplug wires. Those are where the spark plugs arer located underneath those.

Remove the first spark plug wire(just pull up), farthest left first (that is usual culprit.) umm didn't remove sparkplug themselves because i didn't want water to enter the lower chamber( where spark plugs actually fire) plus the engine has to be completely cool for you to remove spark plugs, irreversible damaged if removed while hot.

Be gentle( don't want to damage the spark plug while in the chamer) and take a rag or paper towel and something long and thing, maybe a flathead screwdriver or something and soak up the water by wiping it with the towel around the spark plug. Make sure to get any water on the wire also and to make sure nothing is left in the chamber i.e. a peice of cloth or paper towel. Replace the wire, and go for the the coil over pack adjacent and do the same as before. Inspect each chamber with a light to make sure all the water is soaked up. Replace all wires and connectors and start the car. it should run fine then.. Hope this helps.. also now you know how to change your spark plug wires as well just remember to wait til the engine is cool( minimum 4 hours), and gap them if neccessary, before u replace spark plugs
:D

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
please dont use caps its yelling!!

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
its ok to use a little but not a whole post worth!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a couple of questions about spark plugs. I took the cover off and saw the "gel" filled things under it. I don't know what they are. Here I expect to see the plugs and I get Star Wars! Is there anything to watch for here? Do i yank them off to access the plugs? I have this terrible feeling that I am going to pull on one of these things, I'm gonna hear a "pop--ping" and I'm gonna be looking at $$$$ in repairs.

My second question is about "SplitFires". In my everlasting quest for performance and better mileage I put some in a '98 Ram and in a few days my coil was fried. The mechanics told me it was because of the plugs. I thought it was just coincidence. What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
In regards to the gel things, all you're required to do is loosen two bolt heads on either side of the gel resevoirs. After that, pull them out until you are able to reach/see the spark plugs (or the wire boots).

You should be home free after that. (I do not know what the gel things are either). They cover two plugs, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia (automatic)
18 Posts
In regards to the gel things, all you're required to do is loosen two bolt heads on either side of the gel resevoirs. After that, pull them out until you are able to reach/see the spark plugs (or the wire boots)........ (I do not know what the gel things are either). They cover two plugs, if I remember correctly.
Those two "gel things" are the coil packs mentioned earlier. They are the modern replacement to a coil and distributor cap. Many years ago an 8 cylinder engine would have one coil to boost the amperage and a distributor that would in sequential order send the energy/power to each plug so they would fire in a certain order. That set up/configuration also contained a set of points and condenser. Well fast forward to today and all of that has been replaced with (in this application) two coil packs. Each one attaches to a spark plug and has a short plug wire to attach to one of the two plugs left. DO ONLY ONE PLUG AT A TIME! Trust me. :(
Your car takes two spark plug wires and two coil packs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the help and for the knowledge. I didn't realize that the gel packs were in place of a coil. I thought cars still have coils in them, just no distributor and points/condenser.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Kia Sephia that the check engine light is on and testing it says misfire cy. 2... It's been a LOOOONG time since I replaced plugs and wires...should I also do the coils? If I just do plugs and wires...is the gel packs gonna get messed up?
I have 213,000+ miles on the car...don't want to spend the 55 dollars each if I don't have to.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,301 Posts
I have a 2001 Kia Sephia that the check engine light is on and testing it says misfire cy. 2... It's been a LOOOONG time since I replaced plugs and wires...should I also do the coils? If I just do plugs and wires...is the gel packs gonna get messed up?
I have 213,000+ miles on the car...don't want to spend the 55 dollars each if I don't have to.
Welcome to the forum.

I would start by first replacing the plugs with original NGK's gapped to 0.028" ~ 0.030" , and if you still have a misfire then do the wires, and if the problem still exists also replace the coils.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had some missfiring issues at 100k and it turned out that both plug wires had developed small cracks in them causing the missfire. I replaced the plug wires and have not had any problems with the coils.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
I had some missfiring issues at 100k and it turned out that both plug wires had developed small cracks in them causing the missfire. I replaced the plug wires and have not had any problems with the coils.
You need to cover electrical parts before you wash down your motor. Water and electrical DO NOT MIX. LOL. Lucky all you got was a misfire. I cleaned my first car, and ruined the alt. Too much water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts