Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My son has a new 2005 RHD optima and while I was checking it over (I love new toys) I started looking for the regular service items such as air filter, oil filter (there location is pretty obvious) but I could not find the fuel filter. I even tracked the fuel lines from the engine connectors to the fuel tank and I cannot see it anywhere. Don't tell me it is in the fuel tank. Any ifo would be great thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
From what I have read, it is in the tank. It is not an actual filter but something more like a tea bag wraped around the intake pipe. Someone please coreect me if I am wrong but I swear I read that on here before.....

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
wow never heard it described like that before but yes it is in the tank. but the good thing is that if you look under the carpet in the trunk near the rear seats you will see the wires leading to the fuel pump and as long as you dont mind getting fully in the trunk its not that hard to get to.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having done some more research I can confirm the car does not have in line fuel filter, it does appear to have a tank strainer. As I understand tank strainers are designed to catch bolts, bugs and small boys, hardly going to do anything about fine silt and dirt commonly found in fuel.
Have you ever cut open a efi inline filter after 20K plus kms and spread out the filtering media, it is usually choked with a type of fine clay that is fine debris from the fuel.
Now I am very concern about injector blockages and general fuel system accelerated wear. I think that it is unacceptable in this day and age.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When the mechanics calibrate my fuel reading, I saw the fuel filter (a light yellow colour bag) plugged on the inlet of the fuel pump submerged in the tank. The pump is located infront of the spare tyre where you find the electrical outlets.

An experienced mechanics will take 10-15 minutes to remove the fuel pump.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thanks for the info.
Is the 'tea bag' a proper fine filter or just a mesh strainer?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Generally gasoline is prefiltered in the refinery. My guess is the paper-cloth like fuel filter should able to handle particles can't go through the injector. It probably can last at least 100,000km unless you often refuel in the less developed cities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts