Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rondo V6 2002 Sedona
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I've replaced spark plugs on my last 4 cars, but was suprised when I took off the plastic cover over the engine and they weren't there. I must be blind, are they behind a different part or cover, I can't even find wires which makes me think its distributorless, but I'm just not seeing them. As much detail as possible of how to get to them would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Kevin

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by kruhland@Aug 15 2005, 09:10 AM
If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I've replaced spark plugs on my last 4 cars, but was suprised when I took off the plastic cover over the engine and they weren't there. I must be blind, are they behind a different part or cover, I can't even find wires which makes me think its distributorless, but I'm just not seeing them. As much detail as possible of how to get to them would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Kevin
Are you serious? I've changed the plugs on my 04 LX myself that It WAS under the plastic cover. Can you please take a picture of the engine bay? (WITHOUT the cover) That would help in this situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just before I take a picture, is the 04 engine the same as the 02?
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I believe the 02 and 04 engines are the same. I do see where kruhland is coming from. I have pulled my plastic engine cover off and I too never saw any spark plugs.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Trust me, (atleast with the 04) once you take off the plastic cover, you'll see the top of the engine. There should be a cover on top that has like 4-6 screws on it (philips head should do it). once you take off that cover you should expose the wires. the 2002 shouldn't be different from the 2004.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Oh....they are underneath another cover. I guess that will explain why I couldnt find them........wouldnt it. lol :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found them, thanks for the help. Just knowing they were there is what I needed. You need to remove 4 more screws, 2 each holding small electonic rectangular boxes with wires going in each end. At the bottom of the boxes go directly to the top of 2 of the spark plugs and from the boxes, one from each, go to rubber plugs that go to the top of the other two. Once you disconnect each box (grey clips), take the screws out, and then pull gently up on all four (may have to use a pliers), it was about a 15-20 minute job.

Thanks again
Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts