Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2020 Sorento EX+ last month. Is it good to take it in for its first oil change at 6000 kms as i've read online that the initial oil that's currently in the vehicle is not the greatest. Also when do you change the oil.. is it ever 10K or 12k or 6 months in Canada which ever comes first ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX V6
5 Posts
In Canada it's every 6k km or 6 months. The dealer uses mineral oil.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
894 Posts
Plus, for best engine life use a 100 percent synthetic oil. They are vastly superior than traditional mineral oils.

Reactions: nstoolman1

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
231 Posts
Purchased a 2020 Sorento EX+ last month. Is it good to take it in for its first oil change at 6000 kms as i've read online that the initial oil that's currently in the vehicle is not the greatest. Also when do you change the oil.. is it ever 10K or 12k or 6 months in Canada which ever comes first ?

Thanks
What does your manual specify?

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the manual says 6000k KMs or 6 months, but i find that a bit to soon. I calculated it and its an oil change every 3 months?!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
the manual says 6000k KMs or 6 months, but i find that a bit to soon. I calculated it and its an oil change every 3 months?!
While it's under warranty, and if you intend maintaining warranty cover, that's the mileage and time interval you'll need to stick with.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
644 Posts
To OP - if your manual calls for 6K km, stick with that for warranty sake.
You can use something like Valvoline Daily Protection oil which is a synthetic blend in 5w-20 and 5w-30 weights and is very good oil and can be found on sale at Walmart at about C$14 a jug - in case oil change costs are a concern; full synthetic SuperTech oil is also cheap and good. You may (as allowed) do your own oil changes or let an independent shop do them for you as long as you keep records of them e.g. receipts for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can use something like Valvoline Daily Protection oil which is a synthetic blend in 5w-20 and 5w-30 weights and is very good oil and can be found on sale at Walmart at about C$14 a jug - in case oil change costs are a concern; full synthetic SuperTech oil is also cheap and good. You may (as allowed) do your own oil changes or let an independent shop do them for you as long as you keep records of them e.g. receipts for warranty purposes.
Question... Do I have to get the oil change done at a kia dealership or can i take it into like a Midas for an oil change? I know that the dealership will be a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
When i bought my 2020, i looked into it as well....i kind of just settled on a number (3000kms) and switched to full synthetic at that point.....i did my next at 9000kms..... that's what I've done on ally vehicles... Even with synthetic...small price to pay for healthy engine.

S.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
Question... Do I have to get the oil change done at a kia dealership or can i take it into like a Midas for an oil change? I know that the dealership will be a lot more expensive.
The answer to your question can be found in the post above yours.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
231 Posts
My manual for my 2012 Sorento V6 specifies every 12,000km or 12 months or under severe conditions 6,000km or 6 months.
If you are following the 6,000km or 6 months scenario due have it changed at that point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts