Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a new 2012 Sportage EX with the MPI (non-turbo) 4 cyl. From what I can gather in the users manual; the first oil change occurs at 6 mo or 7500 miles whichever comes first. Does that make sense? Does anyone see anything else in the manual that would indicate an earlier first service?

I got a flyer from the dealership about something called, "Drivesure." Looks like some sort of maintenance reminder and road hazard service ... I don't need either since I keep maintenance reminders on my iPhone and my insurance covers rental cars and road hazard ... and we don't travel by car anymore in any event. However, this "DriveSure" service implies the car needs to go in for service on Sept 7 for an oil change ... and I purchased the car on May 8th ..that puts it at 4 months out ... and we only put about 1000 miles a month on a car at most. Any thoughts on the "Drivesure" service? Is it worth it? What does it cost? I can't find cost info when I go to "http://www.drivesure.com" it redirects to....."http://www.krexinc.com/" which is some sort of road hazard insurance ...

Back to the first and subsequent oil changes ... I don't see the advantage of taking a car in earlier than required ... my own experience tells me that changing oil at 3000-4000 mile intervals mostly wastes oil and returns marginal benefit to engine longevity. Even dino juice oils are far better than the ones we used in the 50's and 60's .... not to mention synthetics. In any case we trade our cars out at about 7 years and 40,000 miles ... at least for the last few cars we've owned over the past 50 years ....would welcome your thoughts and advice.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX, 2000 Jeep WJ
159 Posts
I'm curious about this too. We went in for our first ('12 EX Premium) at I believe the 6-month mark, which was like 3k miles. The guy even said "this is pretty early, but it's ok". So just rolled over the 6500 mark this past weekend (we bought this in September of '11), and I just was curious if you HAVE to make it BEFORE or it will void the warranty?? Just wondering. I'm (hoping) assuming not, but hope we didn't screw ourselves since we were out of town. Two oil changes in 6500 miles seems stupid to me.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,774 Posts
I would stay away for the "dirvesure", no need. I would change the oil at 3 to 4 thousand miles. Did you see the Severe milage list in your owners manual, don't know where you live, but most people fall into the severe catagory.

·
Super Moderator
4,774 Posts
I'm curious about this too. We went in for our first ('12 EX Premium) at I believe the 6-month mark, which was like 3k miles. The guy even said "this is pretty early, but it's ok". So just rolled over the 6500 mark this past weekend (we bought this in September of '11), and I just was curious if you HAVE to make it BEFORE or it will void the warranty?? Just wondering. I'm (hoping) assuming not, but hope we didn't **** ourselves since we were out of town. Two oil changes in 6500 miles seems stupid to me.
You hace nothing to worry about with warranty.
Brad....how did the running borad install go??
Watch the swearing!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm curious about this too. We went in for our first ('12 EX Premium) at I believe the 6-month mark, which was like 3k miles. The guy even said "this is pretty early, but it's ok". So just rolled over the 6500 mark this past weekend (we bought this in September of '11), and I just was curious if you HAVE to make it BEFORE or it will void the warranty?? Just wondering. I'm (hoping) assuming not, but hope we didn't screw ourselves since we were out of town. Two oil changes in 6500 miles seems stupid to me.
Forgot to mention I am retired engineer and Mercedes race (AMG) engine builder ...for fun on my own race car. Warranty issues depend on dealer ...on my 2010 Honda Fit ...dealer tech said no oil change until maintenance minder calls for it ...car has been in service 18 mo ...but only 6000 mi. I dont have a clue on KIA ....I'm going to reread the manual ...otherwise and unless specifically required... have first oil change at 7500 or first 6 months ...at dealer. I'll use dino juice, my type of driving is no where near "severe." On my race engines I would change oil frequently ..used Redline and service was absolutely severe. I've taken apart old and modern filters and newer filters do a better job ...and modern oils ....even DINO juice packages are far superior to older formulations. I can vouch for the relative cleanliness of synthetics over dino juice ....synthetics seem to act as self solvents ...but the price of synthetics is way to high to waste it by too frequent oil changes. Some folkspush the "severe" definition too far ....and they are probably not driving severely at all. Just my two cents worth.

·
Super Moderator
4,774 Posts
Forgot to mention I am retired engineer and Mercedes race (AMG) engine builder ...for fun on my own race car. Warranty issues depend on dealer ...on my 2010 Honda Fit ...dealer tech said no oil change until maintenance minder calls for it ...car has been in service 18 mo ...but only 6000 mi. I dont have a clue on KIA ....I'm going to reread the manual ...otherwise and unless specifically required... have first oil change at 7500 or first 6 months ...at dealer. I'll use dino juice, my type of driving is no where near "severe." On my race engines I would change oil frequently ..used Redline and service was absolutely severe. I've taken apart old and modern filters and newer filters do a better job ...and modern oils ....even DINO juice packages are far superior to older formulations. I can vouch for the relative cleanliness of synthetics over dino juice ....synthetics seem to act as self solvents ...but the price of synthetics is way to high to waste it by too frequent oil changes. Some folkspush the "severe" definition too far ....and they are probably not driving severely at all. Just my two cents worth.

So, tell me more about your race car. Mine is a 1995 Cobra Mustang, 302, Procharged, my best 1/4 mile time is 11.7 at 119.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX, 2000 Jeep WJ
159 Posts
You hace nothing to worry about with warranty.
Brad....how did the running borad install go??
Watch the swearing!!!!!

:eek: Didn't realize I dropped that F-bomb here. My bad.

And I was thinking about you yesterday as we were driving back from up north, and said "boy I REALLY need to get some pictures up there!!!". But the side steps went on fantastic (and extremely easily). And then we actually got a cash offer on our house and had to be out in 2 weeks. It's been a CRAZY 3 weeks since then, but I'll get it washed this weekend and post up pictures. I PROMISE! :cool:

Thanks again man!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've got a new 2012 Sportage EX with the MPI (non-turbo) 4 cyl. From what I can gather in the users manual; the first oil change occurs at 6 mo or 7500 miles whichever comes first. Does that make sense? Does anyone see anything else in the manual that would indicate an earlier first service?
The user's manual sound right, although you sound like you'll be doing a lot less than 7500 miles in the first 6 months. There are some on the forum who stress about the first oil change, fearing that stray metal fragments will destroy the engine; your experience professional will tell you otherwise.

Recommendation for the Cerato is 12 months/15,000km, and I was initially cautious about the extended interval, but all seems well.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
105 Posts
Kia knows best, they wrote the manual. If metal fragments are a known issue, then they would have stated so and moved up the first oil change. But the reality is if you have fragments of metal in your engine running through with the oil, you have a poorly machined engine.

I put less than 1000 miles a month and I follow the milage recommendation. If the car is not being driven much on certain days, and not in extreme conditions, I see no need to do earlier changes either.

Some cars are recommended to have oil changes every 8000 miles. The 3000 mile change doesn't always apply to newer, more efficient engines.

I had my last car for 10 years and also followed the milage change recommendations and not the monthly. I also had under 1000 miles a month. I never had performance issues due to "infrequent" (not every 3 months) oil changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kia knows best, they wrote the manual. If metal fragments are a known issue, then they would have stated so and moved up the first oil change. But the reality is if you have fragments of metal in your engine running through with the oil, you have a poorly machined engine.

I put less than 1000 miles a month and I follow the milage recommendation. If the car is not being driven much on certain days, and not in extreme conditions, I see no need to do earlier changes either.

Some cars are recommended to have oil changes every 8000 miles. The 3000 mile change doesn't always apply to newer, more efficient engines.

I had my last car for 10 years and also followed the milage change recommendations and not the monthly. I also had under 1000 miles a month. I never had performance issues due to "infrequent" (not every 3 months) oil changes.
So ...you go by the 7500 mile threshold and not the 6 mos whichever comes first? Right? Any warranty qualms by KIA dealer? Do you go back to the KIA dealer? Are you using dino oils or synthetics.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
105 Posts
Yes, 7500 miles using regular oil. I initially had read over the terms of the warranty and it said that as long as you keep all records of routine maintenance, whether you go to a dealer or not, you will not void it.

So, with that, I decided to bring it to my own mechanic around the corner from me, rather than driving 40 minutes to the dealer. I personally am not in favor of dealer mechanics, plus I hated the dealer I bought from (rude customer service). Why should I give them more of my business?

But, if I do have a problem under warranty, I would bring it back to them if its a no cost repair.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I go by 6 mos or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. It usually is 6 mos, with mileage of 4000-5000 mi. I got free oil changes with mine, and the dealer is okay with this schedule. Plus, as soon as I get home from the oil change, I suck 1 qt out through the dipstick tube with a vacuum pump and replace it with Pennzoil Ultra. So, I get a synthetic blend change for $7.00. :)
Go 6 mos or 7500 mi on the first and all other oil changes and you most likely will still have a good engine when you go to trade it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts