Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking the van is a bit bouncy these days at 55,000 2016 Sedona ex. It might be just the front as the back, over speed bumps, seems solid. Have you replaced your struts and at what mileage and what did you pick?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
756 Posts
Some last under 50K miles, others may last over 100K miles.
Check for leaks out of the strut, it's possible they are blown or worn. May still leak or be bone dry already too.
Replace bump stops, dust boot and top bearing if can, check spring seats and replace, well unless you get fully assembled strut of cause.

·
Registered
2019 Dear Leader Mobile
5 Posts
There aren't any aftermarket struts for these POSes, so good luck. The OEM strut is $160 a side. Completely not worth it for how poor the OEM struts are.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can’t believe no one makes them. I think I’m pretty mad at Kia for designing a strut that can’t be aftermarketed. What’s the reason their aren’t any struts not sold by Kia?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
756 Posts
There must be very little market or profit to make aftermarket struts for the van.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
249 Posts
When is it time to replace shocks and struts? All depends on how the vehicle has been driven. If you frequent rough roads with lots of bumps and dips, expect them to wear out faster. Otherwise, they should last a long while. 55k miles isn't a lot. My past Hyundais and Kias have gone over 100k and the suspension still felt well controlled.

The Sedona is not a huger seller, so there is little incentive for aftermarketeers to offer replacements. Plus the earliest 3rd gen Sedonas are only barely 3-4yrs old. Most of them are not at an age where replacement is needed just yet. My 2016 has less than 20k. If you are a high mileage driver, then Kia OEM parts are your only option. They aren't any pricier than any other car/van. $180 for front strut and $125 for rear shock are pretty reasonable for OEM.

https://www.mykiaparts.com/oem-parts/kia-strut-54661a9110

https://www.mykiaparts.com/oem-parts/kia-shock-55310a9400

In a few more yrs, there will start to be more offerings. Right now, there is just no big demand for them. Besides, minivans are not high performance vehicles. Few drivers care to invest in upgraded suspensions like folks do with sports cars. Yet another reason there is no aftermarket.

·
Registered
2019 Dear Leader Mobile
5 Posts
I would imagine that the aftermarket learned its lesson manufacturing parts for the previous generation Sedona. Most I see are clapped out at even a few years old, and the owners don't feel like putting money into them. I don't disagree with them, these are utterly disposable vehicles and disintegrate faster than you can maintain them. I still have my 1996 Mazda MPV that I can get parts for, in fact I recently replaced the timing belt. There was even timing belt kits for it now, that include the water pump, tensioner, and idler pulleys. The last time I did the timing belt, you had to piece all of that together and the idlers were Mazda-only. I had to replace the harmonic balancer, and Mazda still stocks it. A 23 year old vehicle, that sold less total in its lifetime the US than the Sedona. I can still get KYB GR-2 struts and shocks for it, among others.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would imagine that the aftermarket learned its lesson manufacturing parts for the previous generation Sedona. Most I see are clapped out at even a few years old, and the owners don't feel like putting money into them. I don't disagree with them, these are utterly disposable vehicles and disintegrate faster than you can maintain them. I still have my 1996 Mazda MPV that I can get parts for, in fact I recently replaced the timing belt. There was even timing belt kits for it now, that include the water pump, tensioner, and idler pulleys. The last time I did the timing belt, you had to piece all of that together and the idlers were Mazda-only. I had to replace the harmonic balancer, and Mazda still stocks it. A 23 year old vehicle, that sold less total in its lifetime the US than the Sedona. I can still get KYB GR-2 struts and shocks for it, among others.
"Most I see are clapped out at even a few years old..." How many have you seen? Really?

If you don't like the Sedona, get rid of it and move on. Generalized statement like that just doesn't jive with reality... certainly not from what I have seen. And I have seen plenty.

We bought a 2006 Sedona EX brand new back in 2007 and drove it over 100k miles over 8 yrs with only a couple of warranty fixes very early on. One was an airbag light thing that we got a letter telling us to bring it in. We got a loaner car, plus a car wash a detail out of it. The other was a slider door issue that, again, didn't affect our van, but we brought it in anyway. Other than that, not a single problem.

We also had an '07 Hyundai Veracruz (owned for 6 yrs) and still own a '09 Genesis (going on 9yrs), with the same 3.8L V6 engine. I've passed the Genesis to my oldest son now, and he'll drive it for the next who-knows-how-many years. In the past 20yrs, we've also owned a Santa Fe (previous gen 3.3L V6) and a '99 Sonata (2.4L I4). All with very similar experience and the same level of reliability. I've had Japanese and European cars too, but frankly, with my personally experience, I'd always look for a Hyundai/Kia first, and only buy other makes if they don't have what we are particularly looking for.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
I also believe in the KIA/Hyundais... I have put back together quite a few "salvage" models of both brands for friends and family and every one is still running well and have little rust (I'm in the "rust belt"...Ohio)...

I am rebuilding a 2016 Chrysler 200 (salvage) and I have been frustrated more than once with oddball nuts/bolts/and required tools... and parts are very expensive... This is a FIAT redesign and has been orphaned by them after 2.5yrs.... My K/H cars use standard tools and have been well thought out for the most part and hold up well in our Ohio winters... They are constantly improving on their body/drive train designs... Yes I have seen some mistakes like the rear calliper bolts on the Hyundai Sonata /KIA Optima being buried but that's an exception to their engineering....

Newer cars in ALL brands are being made with more plastic and lighter weight materials because of our governments demanding higher mileage and more crush/crumple zones... Looks at the newer BMWs and Mercedes... At 100k miles they become a maintenance nightmare... The "new" Ford F150s are mostly aluminum and body/suspension repairs are totalling them left and right...

Most new cars will not be around in 20 years because of biodegradable plastics (wiring insulation, dash boards, trim) and weaker (lighter weight) suspensions that break easily in a light accident...

So the 1996 Mazda is/was built better and has a better chance of surviving longer...
Dave

Reactions: VanGo3

·
Registered
2019 Dear Leader Mobile
5 Posts
People actually carrying water for a car company. I understand the need to rush in and defend something you've invested both money and apparently your identity in.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+, 2019 Optima LX
132 Posts
Keep in mind the new chassis for the Sedona was less than 4 years ago. Aftermarket manufacturers often need time to research and make non-OEM parts, especially on completely brand-new designs. I remember it taking 4-5 years after we bought our Mazda MPV (it was also a new sheetmetal design at time of purchase) for things like fenders and other parts to be available from non-dealer sources.

Most sources say you should check struts at around 60k. Most Sedona's are only beginning to hit that mark now, hence why the low demand for aftermarket struts.

·
Registered
SEDONA SX+ 2018
17 Posts
I did the whole suspention upgrade on my 2009 Sonata, new shocks/struts and coilsprings. ....bumper stops...everything new aftermarket....Koni shocks/struts.

Whole job myself took 2 days...well worth the effort....saved a ton of money too.
My 2018 Sedona ride nice and firm. Soft suspentions are not for me. ?

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’d forgotten I started this thread and here I am again searching for anyone also dealing with the struts on this van. I’m at 58,000 now and these struts are not good. I can’t take corners, no gravel roads. It bounces around like a trampoline. IM SHOCKED!! Hah. Actually I’m kinda wondering if there might be a bad motor mount as well. The dash is trembles when I hit bumps, not pot holes, just bumps. The shocks are very bad quality and I’d sure hate to buy new OEM shocks.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’d forgotten I started this thread and here I am again searching for anyone also dealing with the struts on this van. I’m at 58,000 now and these struts are not good. I can’t take corners, no gravel roads. It bounces around like a trampoline. IM SHOCKED!! Hah. Actually I’m kinda wondering if there might be a bad motor mount as well. The dash is trembles when I hit bumps, not pot holes, just bumps. The shocks are very bad quality and I’d sure hate to buy new OEM shocks.
2016 Kia Sedona EX Newark DE

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX, 2019 Mercedes GLC300
65 Posts
2016 Kia Sedona EX Newark DE
I replaced mine at 95K. The strut bearings were bad and I figured as long as they have to take the strut apart to change the bearing, replace the strut. Where the chrome shaft goes into the strut itself, the seal area had a lot of rust from condensation and salt spray even with the rubber boot. Feels a little better but not much, more of a PM thing. I plan to put another 100K on it baring any major problems. I love this van.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This Sedona is on my last nerve now at 59,100 miles. It hits bumps and it shutters and can’t stop fast anymore becuase the whole body rolls forward, can’t turn from sway and it’s eating tires. It’s def time for struts.

In the oem parts, I get two different options. One is HPD and the other is conventional valve. Does anyone have any idea what’s the difference? HPD is high pressure diaphram? I don’t think this car has anything special for suspension. Just mechanical struts and springs.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,616 Posts
This Sedona is on my last nerve now at 59,100 miles. It hits bumps and it shutters and can’t stop fast anymore becuase the whole body rolls forward, can’t turn from sway and it’s eating tires. ...
What you're describing sounds like more than just bad struts - sway bar links, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and motor mounts are some of the usual suspects. And it would be much better to take care of everything at the same time, instead of pulling the same stuff apart multiple times. I recommend taking it to a couple of shops that specialize in front-end work and see what their diagnosis is. Then you can do the work yourself, if you're up for that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
HPD is High Performance Dampers, supposedly come with "sport suspension", which I didn't realize was an option. Probably just a feature that gets lumped into one of the packages (like Comfort package or something). The difference in pricing is not a whole lot, which means it's more than likely just different valving, maybe to account for different size wheels. The larger 19" wheels mean lower aspect ratio tires, and so may need more compliance in the suspension tuning to compensate for the stiffer sidewall. I doubt it's anything electronic, like some cars have dynamic or active suspension.

I would call Kia customer service, or stop by your Kia dealer's service counter, with your VIN and ask them if your particular trim came with HPD or not.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well this just keeps getting worse. I stopped in to Kia and asked them, by VIN, which shocks I need and they said the HPD ones, so I ordered them from Kia parts now dot com and when they finally arrived in a tattered box they were correct in parts numbers however when I pulled the originals off, they are not HPD. So the EX models possibly don’t have HDP. I mean.... could it have possibly been fitted with the wrong shocks to begin with and that’s why i seem to the the only one with irritating shocks? Also I had Kia suspension check everything and it’s all good. As I drove home from the dealership my warranty miles went over the limit!

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I just went on a test drive having only done the back shocks and it’s about a gillion times better so maybe I’m not to worried how they got to be the way they were. They weren’t leaking, they weren’t super lose, they were loser and that’s it. Like the dampening was not happening on the inside. I’ll do the fronts soon as I get a spring compressor.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts