Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Kia Optima. When I was changing my wheels from the stocks to the after market wheels I have for the summer months one of the wheels studs broke off on the drivers side front wheel. I took car to a local garage and they said they had to take the whole hub assembly apart to replace it. i was just wondering if anyone has had to replace a stud on their optima and if so does the whole assembly need to be taken apart? Or can you squeeze a new stud in some how. Thanks

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've never seen a wheel stud that could be easily removed. Even if you could gain access, you need to press/drive the remains of the stud out and this is best done with the hub off the car.

Those studs are hard to break; what happened?

The threads should be clean, but not lubricated and tensioned to about 80 ft.lb. in stages. Particularly with alloy wheels, the tension point comes up rather suddenly. I've had studs over-tightened by tyre-fitters (to about 200 ft.lb.), so I know that the threads are quite strong. The threads, BTW, are usually rolled into the stud rather than being cut, in the interests of strength.

If you lubricate the threads and you have steel wheels, you can easily crush the wheel centre if you are too enthusiastic with the wrench; the threads need to have a bit of "bite" to them for correct tension.

It's worth buying or borrowing a torque wrench to make sure the tension is correct. I've only recently bought a torque wrench, but I've found that my usual routine for tensioning had been giving me very close to 80 ft.lb. anyway. -Years of practice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to have this problem with a 2001 Toyota Tundra. Every time I rotated the tires, I would break a stud on the right front (I even use a torque wrench). I am guessing that Toyota got a load of bad studs and did not catch it.
Anyway, you must remove the hub and get the old stud out. I always did the stud removeal hammer and punch. Once the old one is out you can lightly tap the new one in enough to put it back on the car. Then when you tighten down the lug nuts you will pull the stud into the hub completely.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!

I'm guessing the shop that switched my flashy wheels back to the stock wheel crossed one of the lugs during install. Then this spring when I was getting my big wheels put back on they broke the stud!Damn winter and having to change wheels! So I'm going to try to get a new stud in this weekend hope it goes alright.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I'm guessing the shop that switched my flashy wheels back to the stock wheel crossed one of the lugs during install. Then this spring when I was getting my big wheels put back on they broke the stud! Damn winter and having to change wheels! So I'm going to try to get a new stud in this weekend hope it goes alright.
You would have to try hard to cross one of those threads.

Winter Wheels is a new concept to many of us in far-away places. Swapping is cheaper than keeping a special purpose vehicle just for Winter use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts