Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wifes '06 with steel wheels where the wheel covers do not cover the wheel the paint is wearing off from road debris/dust I assume.
What have you guys done to repair this?
Do you just take the wheel off and paint it?
Are you using special paint?
Truck bed liner?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I don't normally worry too much about the paint job on the steel wheels. I think it's mostly the heat that wrecks the paint, particularly on the fronts where the braking heat is greatest. I do usually pretty-up the wheel that's going to be the spare, partly to keep dust etc. out of the car.

Give the wheel and tyre a good wash, then scrub the wheel with mineral turpentine to remove tar and any loose paint. Spray with suitable paint to match the other wheels; I use flat black and mask off the junction between the tyre and the wheel, and only paint the outside. Finish off with a coat of rust-proof, such as Tectyl, inside and out. The protective coating stops rust while the wheel is sitting in the boot and also helps keep the wheel trim in place, if it's a push-on job. By the way, silver plastic trims can be sanded and re-sprayed quite effectively if you need to get rid of kerb-rash.

If you want a really good job, it's necessary to remove the tyre, completely clean the wheel and prepare/paint as you would any other automotive surface. You would have to be keen to do this, as it requires your car to be off the road. You could do the job while getting new tyres, but it would not be very convenient.

It also depends on how much metal is showing through the wheel trim. If not much, then the wheels will be in the "Nobody will ever notice" category. One car I had for a while had small chrome hub-caps which left most of the wheel bare; the wheels never needed attention, so perhaps they were well painted from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
Spike check youtube theirs a lot of good videos on how too paint steel rims as mentioned you have to do a good prep cleaning and removing any corrosion etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't normally worry too much about the paint job on the steel wheels. I think it's mostly the heat that wrecks the paint, particularly on the fronts where the braking heat is greatest. I do usually pretty-up the wheel that's going to be the spare, partly to keep dust etc. out of the car.

Give the wheel and tyre a good wash, then scrub the wheel with mineral turpentine to remove tar and any loose paint. Spray with suitable paint to match the other wheels; I use flat black and mask off the junction between the tyre and the wheel, and only paint the outside. Finish off with a coat of rust-proof, such as Tectyl, inside and out. The protective coating stops rust while the wheel is sitting in the boot and also helps keep the wheel trim in place, if it's a push-on job. By the way, silver plastic trims can be sanded and re-sprayed quite effectively if you need to get rid of kerb-rash.

If you want a really good job, it's necessary to remove the tyre, completely clean the wheel and prepare/paint as you would any other automotive surface. You would have to be keen to do this, as it requires your car to be off the road. You could do the job while getting new tyres, but it would not be very convenient.

It also depends on how much metal is showing through the wheel trim. If not much, then the wheels will be in the "Nobody will ever notice" category. One car I had for a while had small chrome hub-caps which left most of the wheel bare; the wheels never needed attention, so perhaps they were well painted from the factory.
Its not the heat, if you remove the wheel cover you will see the paint is still new where it is covered my the wheel cover.
If it was the heat it would look the same everywhere.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spike check youtube theirs a lot of good videos on how too paint steel rims as mentioned you have to do a good prep cleaning and removing any corrosion etc.
Yeah I've seen it done on other wheels, I might even talk to a body shop and see how much they want to put a good coating of paint and clear coat with a good hardener.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Let us know what it costs. I once did a wheel paint job on one car that had small plastic hub-caps and an otherwise bare wheel. Worked out OK using a couple of coats of spray-on silver; I don't think a professional job would have been much better for the purpose. However, it was a work vehicle rather than a "concourse" thing of beauty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will let you guys know how much it will cost, and which way I go, DIY or pro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts