Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look at the tool in this link AUTOWERKS OF AMERICA M12 x 1.5 Lug Bolt Guide Tool / Wheel Hanger,AWA-M1215 - AutoWerksofAmerica.com

Its a simple gadget to lift and locate ones wheel onto the hub. The number of times I have used a screwdriver for the same trick and worried about my hubs screw threads.

Am going out to turn one right now and another for a friend who has a big BMW. Will make his in stainless, as he is fussier than me.

Sorry if this offends the "don't do it yourself brigade. I like getting my hands dirty and need every help for my back I can get.

johnfranklyn

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Great idea but could you not just use a suitable sized bolt and cut the head off?

Ive often wondered why some manufacturers use studs instead of nuts, its far easier to locate the wheels onto a set of captive studs then spin on the nuts rather than juggling a relatively heavy wheel into the right place to locate the studs.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A very good point AJAY and one that passed my mind. Been through my box of old bolts and found no metric ones the right size. Did find a screw, but that was not a good idea. Will turn parts as I have a lathe that can screwcut metric, but some firm surely can supply a suitable bolt for a lot less than the price asked for on the site. Wish I had thought about making one a lot earlier.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. But I am a keen DIYer. I service both our out of warranty cars.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App
I wondered after reading you forum entries if you were the type happy to get your hands dirty. I would take a bet the old cars you sevice have a coat of copper grease on the brakepad backing plate lugs. Never got any put on mine
during my first three years of expensive waranty protection servicing. Just a big pile of dust and rust.:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bugger, knew I should have patented the 4" long piece of 12mm x 1.5mm threaded bar I have been using for more years than I can remember. Used it on Dads Micra this very afternoon.

Strange thing is on our Ceed you don't need it, it uses nuts onto studs fitted to the hub.

Use a 14mm threaded bar on the BMW.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bugger, knew I should have patented the 4" long piece of 12mm x 1.5mm threaded bar I have been using for more years than I can remember. Used it on Dads Micra this very afternoon.

Strange thing is on our Ceed you don't need it, it uses nuts onto studs fitted to the hub.

Use a 14mm threaded bar on the BMW.

Typical! Know a good thing and keep it to yourself, selfish sod.:D Does it make your teeth ache sliding it on the exposed threads. Still, I would settle for that rather than trying to lift the whopping wheels on the Pro Cee’d.
You should have bought a Pro Cee’d 3

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does it make your teeth ache sliding it on the exposed threads.
Not on the Ceed, as I said it uses studs and nuts, of no use at all.

Considering that on cars fitted with studs you are sliding the wheel over the exposed threads what difference does it make.

If it bothers you that much get a 4" bolt and cut the head off. Bolts are only threaded for about an inch, the rest is smooth, set screws are threaded all the way.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops! Forgot you were the member I asked not to bother answering anything I put on the forum. Sorry I answed you entry. It will not happen again, promise. I am sure you feel the same way as I do about you.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What a good idea! I've only had one car that used studs and thankfully, the wheels were fairly light, otherwise I would have had to use some sort of tool as described.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a good idea! I've only had one car that used studs and thankfully, the wheels were fairly light, otherwise I would have had to use some sort of tool as described.
Hello Wry 'Cuda, Giong to make two gadgets. Then it will be exactly like putting the wheels onto studs and will also exactly locate the wheel for the wheel bolts. It dawns, but slowly!
Can I ask where the Wry 'Cuda comes from? Its got my nose itching. Makes my use of my two first names a bit plain.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts