Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Getting some tyres fitted to the SW for the first time since I purchased it a year ago. I've noticed that one of the nuts on the alloys looks similar to a "Locking wheel nut" although the pattern in it looks abit too formal to be a unique pattern (does that make sense?).

Basically I've searched around the car for a adapter for a locking nut but I can't find one. So my question is.... Have i been sold a car without the required wheel nut adapter? Or is that pattern a generic type that any repuatable tyre fitters will be able to undo?

Many Thanks

Pete

EDIT: Its a 2007 Cee'd SW LS by the way.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 1.4 LX Best
62 Posts
It's a used car? Maybe the previous owner fitted locking wheel nuts and the adapter got lost.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've noticed that one of the nuts on the alloys looks similar to a "Locking wheel nut" although the pattern in it looks abit too formal to be a unique pattern (does that make sense?).

Basically I've searched around the car for a adapter for a locking nut but I can't find one. So my question is.... Have i been sold a car without the required wheel nut adapter? Or is that pattern a generic type that any repuatable tyre fitters will be able to undo?
I presume that each wheel has the same special wheel nut? Almost certainly a set of locking nuts.

When I had locking wheel nuts, I stored the adapter in the "basic tool kit" that I carried. The adapter fitted neatly in the space for the spark-plug socket of the type that I didn't need. That's one place to look, on the off-chance. You could try your local tyre place.

If you can't find the correct adapter, good news is that many people don't put too much torque on these lockers, and a little butchery will probably get them off. Try a wrench with sharp teeth, or grind some flats onto the nuts. You will need some replacement standard nuts after that exercise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts