Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over night we had rain. Not much, but enough.Driving down a road I haven't really traveled there was a stop sign and very shallow amount of water. When I went to accelerate I experienced wheel hop. It shocked me as I haven't experienced wheel hop since 2004 when I had a 2000 eclipse gs 5spd. Are the engine mounts covered under warranty? I'm somewhere between 23 and 24k miles.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,239 Posts
Are you sure it is not a combination of unevenness in the road and wheel slip? It would feel very close to wheel hop. Wheel hop is not related to engine mounts, by the way. It's most related to your shocks. It would be extremely rare for engine mounts to fail this early in any event....

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it is not a combination of unevenness in the road and wheel slip? It would feel very close to wheel hop. Wheel hop is not related to engine mounts, by the way. It's most related to your shocks. It would be extremely rare for engine mounts to fail this early in any event....
I remember solving wheel hop in my eclipse with solid engine mounts. So it was the first thing that came to mind.

Quick google search: Why do solid motor mounts stop wheel hop? Eliminate Wheel Hop with Filled Motor Mounts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,063 Posts
So, you bought a turbo sportage but not awd.

Two things you may have experienced.

1st: ABS kicking in under throttle with wheel spinning feels like wheel hop, or as else it is called; axle wind up. Nothing you can do except pull off the gas. It is a bit unnerving and not nice on drive train components.

2nd: You actually felt wheel hop. Memories of olden days of rwd vehicles with soft suspensions. Again, axle wind up and not really good for the vehicle drive line components like half shafts and cv joints.

What makes you believe your motor mounts need replacing?

Reactions: SSportage

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, you bought a turbo sportage but not awd.

Two things you may have experienced.

1st: ABS kicking in under throttle with wheel spinning feels like wheel hop, or as else it is called; axle wind up. Nothing you can do except pull off the gas. It is a bit unnerving and not nice on drive train components.

2nd: You actually felt wheel hop. Memories of olden days of rwd vehicles with soft suspensions. Again, axle wind up and not really good for the vehicle drive line components like half shafts and cv joints.

What makes you believe your motor mounts need replacing?
Like I said before. From past experience that was the issue with a car I owned.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,239 Posts
I remember solving wheel hop in my eclipse with solid engine mounts. So it was the first thing that came to mind.

Quick google search: Why do solid motor mounts stop wheel hop? Eliminate Wheel Hop with Filled Motor Mounts
Unless you race your Sportage, this does not happen and would certainly not happen when you go through a puddle. That type of wheel hop comes from your drive train oscillating which means you need lots of traction at the wheel to make it happen....

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,063 Posts
Unless you race your Sportage, this does not happen and would certainly not happen when you go through a puddle. That type of wheel hop comes from your drive train oscillating which means you need lots of traction at the wheel to make it happen....
OP states he accelerated from a stop when issue occured. Not just rolling through a puddle.
Too much torque from turbo motor, not enough friction between tire and the road.
Test drove a turbo fwd prior to our purchase and had this experience. Reason we went to awd......

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,239 Posts
OP states he accelerated from a stop when issue occured. Not just rolling through a puddle.
Too much torque from turbo motor, not enough friction between tire and the road.
Test drove a turbo fwd prior to our purchase and had this experience. Reason we went to awd......
You might have wheel slip, but not wheel hop. Wheel slip would feel very much like wheel hop because when the wheel "catches", there's a jerking of the car. Given that the suspension variance is vertical, you would get some vertical momentum, but not enough to cause a hop. A gear downshift at that time would also cause wheel slip. The point is that none of this is caused by motor mounts -- especially in such a new car.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
96 Posts
Over night we had rain. Not much, but enough.Driving down a road I haven't really traveled there was a stop sign and very shallow amount of water. When I went to accelerate I experienced wheel hop. It shocked me as I haven't experienced wheel hop since 2004 when I had a 2000 eclipse gs 5spd. Are the engine mounts covered under warranty? I'm somewhere between 23 and 24k miles.
Years back I had a GTO with the same problem !!! I found that by pushing the gas pedal slower and not quickly to the metal, "pedal to the metal", it seemed not to do it. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Correct! Motor mounts are not the root cause of the OP concers revolving around tractive effort.
But, case in point. We test drove a fwd turbo sportage. At a 7-10 mph roll, locked in 1st gear manually, hit WOT, lost tractive effort immediately, ABS kicked in, felt like old school wheel hop or axle wind up. AWD turbo - Non issue.....

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Years back I had a GTO with the same problem !!! I found that by pushing the gas pedal slower and not quickly to the metal, "pedal to the metal", it seemed not to do it. Just saying.
Don't think I pushed it much. Last winter no issues. I'm guessing the road was just a mess. Pot holes everywhere and such.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
828 Posts
I have a fwd sx and can verify, traction is a struggle when taking off from a stop. You have to learn to modulate the throttle if is slips a little, otherwise it can get a bit sketchy

·
Registered
965 Posts
You might have wheel slip, but not wheel hop. Wheel slip would feel very much like wheel hop because when the wheel "catches", there's a jerking of the car. Given that the suspension variance is vertical, you would get some vertical momentum, but not enough to cause a hop. A gear downshift at that time would also cause wheel slip. The point is that none of this is caused by motor mounts -- especially in such a new car.
Violent shuddering under hard acceleration is called 'wheel hop'. Years ago, 'wheel hop' was used to describe the different vibration from out-of-balance wheels. Later, when limited-access multi-lane highways appeared, it was called 'freeway-hop', because most cars at slower speeds on poor roads didn't have it but would get it at 55+ on smooth roads. Now, it is rarely used except to describe the violent oscillations from tire slip/grab. Whether rear drive (the most likely to do it, especially with leaf springs) or FWD, these violent oscillations can damage transmission and motor mounts, making it ever more likely to happen again and again. Drive-line components can also be damaged by it. My '07 pickup truck has it bad, and our Honda Odyssey will do it sometimes when the front wheel tries to spin from a stop.
There's also 'wheel hop' in racing where the rear wheels can hop when braking into a corner but I don't know what causes that - might be only on live axles.
I know I have to do something about my truck and I'm getting the three mounts checked soon. That didn't cause it - its the leaf springs wrapping on the light-duty truck. The mounts were just casualties. I probably will have to get some kind of device to prevent the springs from arching up, allowing the whole rear housing to twist.
For a FWD vehicle with half-shafts/CV joints and independent suspension, a few instances of wheel hop could definitely damage the engine mounts but like the truck, I don't think mounts in good condition caused the hop incidents - they were damaged by it, which exacerbated the situation.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,239 Posts
Violent shuddering under hard acceleration is called 'wheel hop'. Years ago, 'wheel hop' was used to describe the different vibration from out-of-balance wheels. Later, when limited-access multi-lane highways appeared, it was called 'freeway-hop', because most cars at slower speeds on poor roads didn't have it but would get it at 55+ on smooth roads. Now, it is rarely used except to describe the violent oscillations from tire slip/grab. Whether rear drive (the most likely to do it, especially with leaf springs) or FWD, these violent oscillations can damage transmission and motor mounts, making it ever more likely to happen again and again. Drive-line components can also be damaged by it. My '07 pickup truck has it bad, and our Honda Odyssey will do it sometimes when the front wheel tries to spin from a stop.
There's also 'wheel hop' in racing where the rear wheels can hop when braking into a corner but I don't know what causes that - might be only on live axles.
I know I have to do something about my truck and I'm getting the three mounts checked soon. That didn't cause it - its the leaf springs wrapping on the light-duty truck. The mounts were just casualties. I probably will have to get some kind of device to prevent the springs from arching up, allowing the whole rear housing to twist.
For a FWD vehicle with half-shafts/CV joints and independent suspension, a few instances of wheel hop could definitely damage the engine mounts but like the truck, I don't think mounts in good condition caused the hop incidents - they were damaged by it, which exacerbated the situation.
This is from the automotive dictionary:

Wheel hop definition
A hopping action of the rear wheels during heavy acceleration . Traction is lost and regained in rapid cycles after power is applied to the rear wheels. It indicates a need for different tires, better shock absorbers , better springs, better axle control, different driving technique, or all of the above.

I can't imagine enough continuous "wheel hop" in a newer compact SUV to cause motor mount damage. But you are right, and I stand corrected, that wheel hop is also what I've called "wheel slip". You learn something new every day.... Thanks...

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For what a Sportage is. You'd think kia would have moved the torque curve further in. A slightly bigger turbo with more mid - high range power would have been nice.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
828 Posts
For what a Sportage is. You'd think kia would have moved the torque curve further in. A slightly bigger turbo with more mid - high range power would have been nice.
The whole point of putting a small, rapidly spooling turbo on a regular passenger vehicle is that have it run like it was a larger engine. torque is the name of the game, not peak horsepower. They do a lot to mask the classic turbo tendencies and smooth things out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Interesting thread! Lots of great discussion!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,239 Posts
The Sportage is a relatively inexpensive compact SUV and an SX is already more powerful than most of the competition. From a marketing standpoint, they have to compete on the basis of mpg as well as performance. Kia is already behind the curve on economy so to put a more powerful engine in the car makes absolutely no marketing sense. The compact SUV category continues to grow and there is a performance segment if you want more power with Porsche, Audi, and BMW and soon with the Genesis GV70 (which is made by Hyundai/Kia)....

·
Registered
2017 SPORTAGE SX
36 Posts
I have a fwd sx and can verify, traction is a struggle when taking off from a stop. You have to learn to modulate the throttle if is slips a little, otherwise it can get a bit sketchy
Same has happened to me FWD SX.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts