Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Sportage EX
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have a 98 sportage 4" lift on 31s with warn manual hubs. Got the first snow last night and locked in the hubs and put in 4 high and started to move and a loud pop came from front passenger side sounded like the axle locking and unlocking. It keeps doing it every time the tire slides. It doesn't pop with just the hubs locked in, only pops when transfer case is engaged. There has been a vibration coming from front passenger side for a while, so my guess is it has to be the wheel bearing.( never changed 150k miles on car) I've never changed one on a 4x4, is it the same as a 2wd? Pop hub off and bearing sets behind the hub? Or is there more work involved since its a 4wd?

·
Registered
98 Sportage EX
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
nm found answer on kiatechinfo, but one more question, one of the phillips screws on the rotor is stripped, i'll have to grind the head off and drill the rest out of the rotor. Does anyone know what size this screw is, or can i drill and tap a new hole and use a small bolt?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
nm found answer on kiatechinfo, but one more question, one of the phillips screws on the rotor is stripped, i'll have to grind the head off and drill the rest out of the rotor. Does anyone know what size this screw is, or can i drill and tap a new hole and use a small bolt?
Try using the correct tool first, Impact driver and a ball peen hammer. Drill as last resort... Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
Don't worry about replacing the screws. All they do is hold the rotor to the hub. It just makes it a little easier to get the caliper & pads back over the rotor.

I'd also say it's something besides the front wheel bearings since it only pops with it in 4wd. Sound's more like a CV joint, or bad u-joint.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
+1 With promodmerc.... Also a bad locking hub with broken engagement cam or weak spring can cause a popping sound. Switch the hubs l/r an see if the popping noise follows.The manual locking are a weak in the drive system. Last year my Daughter broke 2 of them an the made a popping /jumping sound.
chief

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
+1 With promodmerc.... Also a bad locking hub with broken engagement cam or weak spring can cause a popping sound. Switch the hubs l/r an see if the popping noise follows.The manual locking are a weak in the drive system. Last year my Daughter broke 2 of them an the made a popping /jumping sound.
chief
That thought had crossed my mind later in the day.

·
Registered
98 Sportage EX
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That thought had crossed my mind later in the day.
thanks for the info! gonna tare into it today with this heat wave of 40 degree weather

·
Registered
98 Sportage EX
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try using the correct tool first, Impact driver and a ball peen hammer. Drill as last resort... Philip
used a titanium tipped phillips. screw head tore, screwdriver didn't flex.

·
Registered
98 Sportage EX
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
u joint at the transfer case on front driveshaft was shot! I don't know how it hasn't broke, i climbed under it and moved the front driveshaft by hand a lot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts