Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Black Sorento 2005
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I bought a new sorento a couple of weeks ago. I was generally happy with it but from day 1 noticed it pulling or drifting left ( I am in Australia, and the road camber falls to the left). I gave it a week to make sure and then I called the service dept. I booked it in and they said they would do it while I waited as I had to get to the airport.

When I took the car in they seemed very disbelieving that there would be a problem, and tried to tell me all sorts of things about road camber and 4wds. But the service foreman came out for a drive and agreed that it did pull left. So they booked it in. I waited 2 hrs and they said it was still outside manufacturer's specs. So I left the car with them for 3 days and got a lift to the airport.

I picked the car up on Saturday and asked for the print-out figures, but they couldn't give me it, because apparently the tec had switched the machine off before printing them out. But they assured me it was OK. So I drove off - and the car was still pulling - better, yes, but still pulling. On Monday, I rang to let them know I still was not happy. I took the car in again, and I got even more waffle about all cars pulling to the left to some extent, particularly 4wds, but I pointed out that I was not completely green or stupid and had driven numerous other cars, none of which had felt like this. The tec then conceeded that sorentos were known for some pulling to the left. So we went for another drive and he confirmed that I was not imagining things and that it still wasn't right.

However, the guy behind the desk got pretty shirty and said that it was fine when it left the yard on Saturday, that something must have happened to it. Anyway, they said they would have another look - I said I could bring it in one day after 3.30pm as I work full-time - they said, no, I had to leave it with them. So I asked for a courtesy car - they looked at me like I was mad and said I would have to find my own transport as the car was OK when it left them on the Saturday. Lucklily the salesman that sold me the car offered me a replacement for the day.

Shouldn't they have to provide a replacement car, if the car is not right?

I am concerned that this will be an on-going problem - they have already had ample time to sort it. I am not hopeful that they will fix it this time. What if they insist that it is within manufacturer's specs, and yet I still feel that it is pulling? I understand that even if it is within man. specs, it may still not be completely right?

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
This seems to be an ongoing problem, not the pulling to the left, but dumb MFng service staff who wouldn't know "service" if it bit them on the scrotum !! Obviously you expect a "minor" pull to the left (I'm a Kiwi so drive on the "correct" side too !!), we all know that, but if they can't get the **** wheel alignment sorted it should be their problem, not yours !!

Get your salesman (who obviously has at least some brain) to kick these tossers where it hurts and have them explain that the customer is always right even when he's wrong !! Tell him (the salesman) that if his service staff don't sort the problem you'll take it to a wheel alignment centre and get it fixed and send HIM the bill. Get hostile with him or the sods will continue to walk all over you.

If you look through these forums it's almost always crappy service staff rather than vehicle faults that are to blame for stuff. Frankly it's the one disadvantage with buying a "non big-5" vehicle and Kia, Hyundia and all the rest need to wake their ideas up if they want to increase their market share.

price may do it the first time but nobody is going back OR recommending Kia to their mates if the service is crap.

That's my two bob's worth (USA residents will have a problem with that saying) for what it's worth. You're right, they're wrong, kick some serious arse so they know not to play about with you again.

Cheers

Derek

PS: Did I see something NASTY happening to youyr cricket team today Again !!! You guys must be starting to feel like last years Kiwis !!!

:beer:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Hi Banshee,
I would like to reassure you that if you feel your Sorento is pulling to the left then there will definately be a wheel alignment problem.
I am am extremely fussy owner and have owned and driven many vehicles in my time and can tell you that my 2005 Sorento is probably the straightest tracking vehicle I have ever owned, I was impressed from day one by the easy relaxed driveability (is that a word) of this vehicle.
Good luck I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Could not agree with you more on the subject of customer satisfaction. The attitude of my dealership in all respects has led us to buy four new Sorentos from them in the last eighteen months. Nothing is too much trouble and as you say, the customer is always right even when he is wrong! They have located the most difficult parts and accessories for us like oem stereos, wood effect steering wheels, roof rails, steering remotes etc., and are looking into other stuff at this moment. So for us the peace of mind regarding vehicles that must work hard. For them the sure knowledge of repeat business involving serious money. Just seems sensible to me.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Optima pulls to the right

Hi, I went through pretty much the same thing with my car lately but mine was pulling to the right. They kept telling me it was fine, but when taking it for a drive, agreed with me. In the end it was the tyres and ppl that can't aligned that was the problem, after 3 alignments from 2 different garages, they crossed the tyres, derimed the tyre that was on the right and then putting it back together and then getting both tyres aligned, the problem was finally gone. My dealer gave me much better service then you though, although I had to spend a lot of gaz driving up there many times to try to get the problem solve. SO I would suggest you get them to cross your tyres, re balance and re rimed them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
sometimes pull can be caused by a defective tire, did the rotate the tires to see what effect it had ?

my sorento drives stright as an arrow

when i was a ford mechanic, tires were a frequent cause of vehicle pulls.

tires have have gotten much better...but every once and a while one will get by quality control which has a difference rolling resistance than the others and the vehicle will pull as a result

·
Banned
417 Posts
I would not waste anymore time at a Kia service Dept. Go to a real front end repair shop and find the answer to pulling and have them fix it. It has already cost you time and money for messing with Kia somethings need real experts and Kia just don't have them.

·
Registered
Black Sorento 2005
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will see how the Kia service dept (ha! ha! - what a stupid name, when you actually don't get ANY customer service at all!) goes on Thursday, then I guess if things still aren't right, it will be a slightly less than happy e-mail to Kia in Australia (although I don't know that this will have any effect) and then probabaly a trip to someone else who WILL be able to fix it. One of the worst things is that the car has actually been bought by my company as I had free reign (apart from the budget) to buy a company car for myself, and when I told them I was going for a Kia, they thought I was mad, but I persuaded them I knew what I was doing. Hopefully, though, the car will be fine when I find someone who CAN sort it.

And Derek (not that I follow cricket) I am actually originally from the UK (5yrs ago) so am quite happy with the cricket result, as I was when we won the rugby a couple of years back. It's quite handy having 2 countries to support, so that I can take my pick depending on how things are going....... (absolutely no point at all in being British when it comes to tennis or swimming).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I want to share my Kia service story with you. I've had my Sorento for about 5 weeks. There were some things that needed to be addressed at the time I bought the vehicle. However, since the service department was closed when the deal was struck, I asked if the items could be handled at a future and more convenient time to me. They said sure. I made an appointment for a time about 3 weeks after I bought the Sorento. They were ready for me, gave me a ride to the local shopping mall and back, fixed the problems correctly and were generally very pleasant throughout. Perfect "10" in my book. :clap: All service departments are not alike. Some are great, some are good and others are bad. This is probably true for every auto maker, especially the big three. I've had poor service with Ford, GM, Chrysler, Saab, Mazda (especially bad), Nissan, etc. Call it Karma for past poor service departments but I'm now getting great service from Kia. They are the best I've experienced! BTW, I love my Sorento!! :grin:

Matt

·
Registered
Black Sorento 2005
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update...
I picked the car up from its second wheel alignment on Thursday, with the general sales manager in tow (funny the difference in attitude that made).

Anyway, the service dept said they had found they had a problem with their wheel alignment machine and had gotten somebody else to do it for them this time. The car WAS better but just not quite right still, still going off to the left. I tried a demo sorento at the sales place, and it was even worse than mine - so the salesman took that to be proof that it was indeed the road camber to blame and that all cars did it.

Still not happy, so called the tyre place that did the second wheel alignment. They told me to bring the car in. From what I understand, it seems that the problem may be due to the fact that on the rear axle, the left wheel has a marked toe-out and the right wheel a toe-in i.e. both point to the left, and bearing in mind the steep camber down to the left on Australian roads, this really makes the car want to go left. The tyre guy says that this is not adjustable on the Sorento, presumbly designed for American markets etc where they drive on the right. He says it was second Sorento he had in lately with the same problem.

So the tyre guy has adjusted the caster of the front left wheel way out of spec to try and get the car to pull right again in order to balance it out and get it to go straight. This has just about done the trick, with left pull barely noticable now. the guy was really helpful and didn't even charge me for sorting it.

Does anyone know if there are likely to be any long term implications for the tyres or the car by doing this?

If all the above is true, then I can't understand why the Kia people don't seem to know about it and they have to give you the runaround telling you that 'all cars/4wds do it' or that 'it is the camber of the road to blame'.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds to me as if you have a rear axle alignment problem, I don't accept that it's because they sell them in the USA and so set them up to pull this way. From the sats I've seen they sell just as many LHD as RHD so that just doesn't add up. In NZ we're same side of the road as you and my Sorie certainly doesn't pull left (OK, you obviously get a slight camber "pull" occasionally when the camber is larger than normal) in fact I can take my hands off the wheel and it tracks straight for quite a way before slowly moving left with the camber as would be expected.

I really don't know enough about this but if I was you I'd be questioning the whole rear end set-up of the car if this can't be adjusted out within the normal range of the manufacturers specs. Try and find somebody who really knows about this stuff and then "ram it to the agents" from a position of strength. I'm sure that you'll gt some very uneven tyre wear the way they have set it up now.

Go get them

Good luck.

Derek :gunsmilie:

·
Registered
Black Sorento 2005
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trouble is I don't really know who else to speak to that would know anymore than the people I've already spoken to. The tyre guy didn't seem to think it was an issue. I've also been on the phone to the Kia freephone number in Oz - but they didn't seem too interested either, but I wanted them to log the problems I was having so that if something does happen/go wrong sometime on the future they have all this on record. But the guy at Kia, said yes, just keep adjusting the front left caster, as the tyre guy had been doing, until it felt right. I still haven't got an explanation as to why the wheels at the rear are pointing left - and it doesn't seem to be a one-off - as I said, the demo sorento at the local dealers was pulling worse than mine, and the tyre guy had had another sorento in doing the same thing. :unsure:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Weird man, mine certainly doesn't and I can't believe it's a LHD RHD thing. As you say, at least you've logged the problem and can come back to it if you have to, Just keep your eye out for uneven tyre wear, we've had people told that's "normal" too but it isn't !!

Cheers

Derek

·
Banned
417 Posts
My advice at this point is drive your Sorento and keep a close watch for any excessive wear on the tires. This is one of them things that everyone trying to solve the problem has their own idea's as to what the problem is and how it should be fixed. Also I have found that sometimes some things seem to workout without more people getting involved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
I am pretty sure you have some problem under chassis.
We have also quite strongly "tilted" roads, so they are aligned towards roadsides. Driving side here is on the right.
So, I made a test yesterday:
Driving normally on the right side of road: very neutral, takes quite a long way before my Sore was slightly directing to right when not "touching" the steering wheel.
Driving on the wrong side of the road (ie. left): same as above, after while slightly starting to point to left. The touch was very similar on both tests.

And don´t worry, I am still alive and undamaged although I drove against rules on the wrong side of the road... I was veeery careful. :amen:

So, to my mind there is nothing to do left/right side driving or factory "adjusting" to one or other environment. If there is some specific factory wheel alignment to left/right I should have noticed it, but it didn´t matter if the road was tilted to right or left.
So, good luck to you pushing Kia dept. harder. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black Sorento 2005
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I'd give you all an update......

Following the last wheel alignment done by an independent tyre place, when they adjusted the front left castor in an effort to get the car to drive straight, and a few days of my worrying about it, I decided to give the sales manager where I bought it a call.

He did get a little stroppy because I'd taken it elsewhere (but who can blame me with the attitude the service dept had!) but sounded as concerned as I was and told me to bring the car back in, and he would get the distributor's tech to have a look at it - said they would probably have to adjust the wheel alignment it back in specs again and then have a look to see what the problem was.

So I dropped the car off again. After they had had the car 2 days I rang to see what was happening (they never seem to want to call me) and was told that it was ready but wouldn't tell me over the phone what had happened with it.

I went to pick it up and the sales manager ushered me into his room, sat me down and said 'the tech said the car is driving perfectly, there is nothing wrong with it and that is good enough for me'. I was completely stunned by the way he said this to me but managed to pick my jaw up from the floor long enough to ask if the tech had actually done anything or had he just driven it round the block and said it was fine. I tried to point out that car hadn't been brought back in because it was pulling left - it was driving pretty straight, but that I was worried about the fact that it had been adjusted out of specs to achieve this. The sales manager refused to answer, just saying that the tec said it was fine, end of story, until eventually he admitted he didn't know what had happened. I had to insist that I wanted to know whether anything had been done or not. He eventually said he would call the tec and get him to speak to me and that he really didn't want anything to do with it anymore.

So I went away with the car and I waited for a phone call - surprise surprise I had to call them back eventually. The sales manager had spoken to the tec and there had apparently been some mis-communication - the tec was really only checking to see how it drove - and of course when it drove OK, he didn't do anything - no consideration of the out of spec wheel alignment. So now, I am waiting for another phone call back from Kia themselves.

I am starting to get a little bit fed up with whole thing - are these people trained in how to make life difficult for and avoid open communication with their customers? When I said I wanted to know what had been done on the car the sales manager had looked at me like I was the most unreasonable person in world (which I'm not, honest).

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote

I am concerned that this will be an on-going problem - they have already had ample time to sort it. I am not hopeful that they will fix it this time. What if they insist that it is within manufacturer's specs, and yet I still feel that it is pulling? I understand that even if it is within man. specs, it may still not be completely right?
[/quote]

Can you find a perfectly flat piece of road with no camber, or a deserted road where you can drive in the middle of the road and see if it still pulls left?

Under U.K law you could reject the car if they can't fix it. Ask for a run in another similar car. Check with your local consumer protection department. Don't give up. They have supplied a vehicle that is not road worthy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you ever thought that maybe the dealer is telling you the truth and that the vehicle does drive fine. Have you ever driven a vehicle like yours in the past?? Do you have to adjust the steering wheel for the vehicle to go straight?? There are too many factors when dealing with alignment, tire pressure, tire wear, driving conditions, road conditions, etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like "dealer-speak" to me !!!!!!!

DErek

·
Banned
417 Posts
Like I posted before your wasting your time trying to get that worthless dealer and his service jerks to really find out whats wrong if anything is really wrong. Unless you want to find another Kia dealers service Dept. or another front end alinment place to again recheck your wheel alinment your about finished. You could contact Kia at their home office but I really don't think this would help or solve anything. Drive your Sorento and watch for tire wear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts