Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a drive (even a quick short one), the object that looks like a little cylinder, coming out of the silver duct... with the white and black leads, appears to be smoking.
I'm not 100% sure what it is, or where it could be originating from, but it's enough to have me worried.

I'm using this car as my daily driver to and from practices, so there is a bit of urgency in this matter.

Let me know what you think, pictures below

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
That's the O2 (oxygen sensor) that provides feedback of the oxygen level in the exhaust gases to the ECM. The wires should be Teflon and should not smoke... I'm thinking that that exhaust gases are leaking around the area that the sensor is screwed into on the exhaust manifold.
Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting.
Upon closer inspection it looks like the insulation (teflon) might be heating up abnormally, and smoking out.
It smells like insulation, though I'm not sure what smell belongs to what.

However, the insulation should not be getting that hot.

Obviously, this should be repaired, what is the priority level of this, and difficulty of repair?
It looks like there may be a leak like Dave said, as I can observe tiny spews of smoke from the inside, versus from the cylinder itself.

I wanna say the insulation is heating up because it's pretty apparent that the wires may be a bit singed, and the insulation, too.

Autozone wants $90 for a new sensor..
I see ~$30-40 online, any recommendations for an online shop?
Is this a pretty easy DIY?

After some researching it looks like unplug, unscrew, rethread, screw in, plug back in, and go.

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
I would probably pull the heatshield off, and take a look underneath for any obvious leaks. Rockauto is good for the common sporty parts. KIA parts store or dealer for Sporty specific (which there are many). Cheers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Decided to try something for fun before I left for practice this morning- pulled the teflon cover further back away from the sensor and joints into the sensor.
What do you know, about 25 miles later, I still smell a bit of the smoke smell, but I don't see any smoke coming from the same area before.
The wire joints appear to be rather warm, so would it be possible the teflon was the thing smoking, causing the smell?

I'm not sure.
Ideally I'd like to replace the O2 sensor, but after looking a bit more, looks like the heatshield is going to be a tough one to pull off.

What is included in the O2 replacement?
Heatshield removal, intake removal, about it? Or are there more?
Anything a novice can do?

I'm looking for a upstream (upper/front) sensor right? Not a downstream (lower/rear?)

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
988 Posts
Yes, it is the upper/front sensor. On my Sportage it is at a little different spot, more difficult to reach. On your Sportage I think that, to remove it, you need an O2 socket. I think you do not need to remove the heat shield.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it, looks like just a regular long 7/8" socket, I'm sure we have a few of those laying around the garage.

In the case that I cannot find an O2 socket?

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Sound like you have blow by...Either at the treads on the O2 sensor or through the sensor itself. Because it is mounted on the exhaust manifold it WILL be hot..That's normal. That is why the wires have Teflon coatings and not plastic. Is there any exhaust noise or can you feel any puffs of hot air around the sensor?

You need an O2 socket because the wires come out of the end of the sensor and there is no way a standard socket will fit over them. A box wrench "may" work as you could feed the wires through it (if there is enough room for it).

O2 sockets are available at Harbor Freight for under $10.
Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll let the engine bay cool down for now, and start 'er up in a few hours and feel for any hot puffs of air.
In any case, should the O2 sensor definitely be replaced?
Weird thing, is that I haven't had the engine light come on since my last drive cycle (a solid, 7 months). (Since it was cleared.. the engine light)

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
If it is the PTFE insulation burning, don't smell the smoke. Burning PTFE is EXTREMELY toxic.:eek: I would look for a crack in the exhaust manifold. If you do replace the sensor, I have only had good luck with Bosch. Other brands seemed to throw codes in my 2000.:mad:
Check it out and keep us posted.

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, what does the PTFE smell like?
Kinda like burnt rubberish?
If so, that might be it..

I may just wait it out until the sensor goes out completely, or the check engine light comes on.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Many codes are stored WITHOUT the check engine light coming on...so... I'd still get the codes read.
Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many codes are stored WITHOUT the check engine light coming on...so... I'd still get the codes read.
Dave
Oh... learn something new everyday!
I've been contemplating getting one of those OBDII Bluetooth ones, and syncing to my iPod (using some jailbroken add-ons), to read out data.

Guess I'll have to bump that to the top of my list. :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Oh... learn something new everyday!
I've been contemplating getting one of those OBDII Bluetooth ones, and syncing to my iPod (using some jailbroken add-ons), to read out data.

Guess I'll have to bump that to the top of my list. :)
Thanks!
Save your money, the apple BT is crippled and does not function with any BT OBDII device.. Apple has elected to use the Ethernet to communicate with devices....

You need to,
  • Use a full Live Data Scanner and check the O2 switching rate, and if it is biased..
  • Use an IR gun and check the exhaust manifold for excessive heat (Running Rich)
  • Check the LTFT and STFT for excessive adjustments...

.... Philip

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
If you are going to replace the sensor anyway, you could cut the wires at the sensor, and use a standard socket. Then, you could use a wrench to tighten the new sensor, or a crowsfoot. That top sensor is very accessible. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Get the codes FIRST...
Then he has to find where the heat is coming from before he does anything else.
If the exhaust manifold is cracked or the hole/port the sensor is bolted into is damaged he will need to replace the exhaust manifold and possibly the first catalytic converter (if it's part of the manifold). I tend to believe it's blow by (hot exhaust gases) heating the wires.
Dave

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Get the codes FIRST...
Then he has to find where the heat is coming from before he does anything else.
If the exhaust manifold is cracked or the hole/port the sensor is bolted into is damaged he will need to replace the exhaust manifold and possibly the first catalytic converter (if it's part of the manifold). I tend to believe it's blow by (hot exhaust gases) heating the wires.
Dave
Greetings,

Can confirm the first Catalytic converter and Exhaust Manifold are (2) separate pieces, first (upper) Cat. Bolts to the Exhaust Manifold.
--
Agree w/ all that the upper manifold heat shield should be removed, and the exhaust manifold fully inspected for cracks or leaks, along w/ the O2 sensor ..

And that a full OBDII live scanner would be best for checking O2 sensor readings, as Philip stated - if you have laptop capability, see my sig. for a low cost (USB / PC / Windoze-Based) OBDII scanner.

Hope everyone is enjoying the fine summer weather, lots to do here in NH..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aquanut20:
I believe you mean wifi for their devices, yes..
However, if jailbroken, a few add-ons from the Cydia store and you are good to go with fully unlocked BT.
If I even desire, I could grab a bluetooth adapter and have it running on my laptop, just as easily.
The OBD2 BT is about $20.

I tried feeling for some hot exhaust blow-by, but didn't feel anything that would've hinted towards a huge leak.

I drove around today, about 30 miles, and saw my temperature needle hit 75%, almost going up to 85% or so.

I dropped off my friend, and popped the hood, looked like the radiator cap got loose because lots of radiator fluid was spilling out.
This was a first, perhaps maybe coincidental, as I don't see how this could be a symptom of the O2 sensor?
It was also pretty hot today..

Is there a difference between a regular OBDII scanner and a live data scanner?

Here is the one I've been eyeing:
Amazon.com: Koolertron ELM 327 OBDII PC Car Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive

I've read around, and saw that it got pretty good reviews.
As cheap as chips, so if it's really that bad, could just replace it later down the road.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Yes I meant WiFi, was thinking about the use of an IP (Ethernet)..

I use a BT dongle with the Android "Torque" app on my phone for general use.

I switch to my LT when i wish to do in depth logging.....

A "regular" scanner most often only displays hard,and sometimes intermittent codes backed by (FF) Freeze frame data...

A "LIVE DATA SCANNER" provides access to the actual working values of the sensors..(real time)... Philip

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts