Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX AWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just find this patch on the real door on both sides of my new US 2013 LX:

I don't see it on any of the Sportage images I can find online. Does anyone know what it is or is it even supposed to there?

Attachments

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
don't remove it, it's 3m clear film to help protect that part of the door. I have something similar on my Soul, I also had it on my Rondo too.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX AWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't remove it, it's 3m clear film to help protect that part of the door. I have something similar on my Soul, I also had it on my Rondo too.
Thanks. But why does that part of the door need special protection? And if it's just s clear film, wouldn't it fall/peel off eventually?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
Stones and debris get kicked up from the front wheels and get directed to that area. You can find posts about people complaining how their Sportages are all chipped up in that area. The film will last quite awhile, and it's easier/cheaper/better to replace that than repainting the door.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
It's based on past experience and feedback from customers that in some cases it could be vulnerable to chips, check how mud splash up on your vehicle. It will probably last as long as you own your vehicle.
I owned my Rondo for 4 years and there was no indication it would come off.

Actually in my case I find the one on my Soul is not really large enough, so I've increased the protection by spraying on a coating of clear Plasti-dip so cover a larger area. The only problem is that clear Plasti-dip is a matte finish, not shiny and at the moment its just a test to find out how well it stands up, so far its been on for about 3 months, so we will see how it is after the winter months.

If you look close you can see the original clear film. I find you hardly notice it.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX AWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't notice it until recent rain and snow got all the dirts on it.

I don't suppose adding mud guards helps the chipping problem?

·
Registered
554 Posts
What an absurdly small patch of 3M-style clear film. The body design must direct rocks directly to that spot for Kia to do that.

Mudguards help. They aerodynamically and physically block small rocks. I can't tell if the film is before or after the tire, but mudguards help block post-tire rocks.

Body panels near the ground are colloquially "rocker panels"; I'm told they're called that simply because they get hit with rocks. Often car owners will spray black rubberized "rocker guard" tar-like coating on them to prevent chipping the paint and then rusting. I've seen a clear-coat rocker guard before, and I wonder how well it works.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
the black finish below the doors is the black rubberized coating that twinscroll mentions. I also have the OEM mudflaps which are standard on my model but also expanded them as they didn't seem to offer a lot of protection. Did this front and back.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,941 Posts
Here we go again .................

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here we go again...
? I haven't seen this before here
--

Cool look to the mudguards. They ruin some aerodynamic efficiency, but reduce both rust potential and damage to other cars. I like them.

Most new cars have plastic side-mouldings, the black plastic that takes the beating instead of rustprone metal. Rockerguard is popular on older cars without the plastic, or as a dark-black coating for graying plastic. I like body-coloured side-moldings, unless the car is black, so I'm interested by that clear rockerguard. I'm not sure if it's like rubber cement or clearcoat...seems to be acrylic, so probably additional clearcoat.

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
patch way too small

im shocked to see that is the size of the patch added . i added $90 worth of 3m to my car and its really not enough . about 10 times the size of that and its really not enough . i guess it depends on where you live . gravel spread on top of the snowy roads can really s%*t k*&k your rear doors

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
im shocked to see that is the size of the patch added . i added $90 worth of 3m to my car and its really not enough . about 10 times the size of that and its really not enough . i guess it depends on where you live . gravel spread on top of the snowy roads can really s%*t k*&k your rear doors
in your case and those problems I would have installed running boards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts