Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
08 Rondo, 2010 Camaro, 96 3000GT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this was brought up by Rev Pizzaguy in the "Rondo Demise Topic", but I feel this is a legitimate topic on it's own. I'm really going to miss having the wife's 08 Rondo around, wen the powertrain warranty runs out and it's time to move on. I love the fact that it can seat 7, is pretty damn peppy for a 4 cylinder, is comfortable, and gets awesome fuel economy - all at a great price to begin with. It has been a great, reliable second car to have around. While shopping for the Rondo, we also looked at and liked he Mazda 5, but the Kia dealer gave us more than double what Mazda would give us for our trade-in........an 04 Sedona EX. We especially like the 7 passenger seating. It comes in very handy when we get company. What else is out there closest to the Rondo in features and price? Bob

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
There are $4k in incentives right now on the the Sedonas. Maybe its time to upsize. Also it is the end of the model run, so there may be some other good deals to be had.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I'm actually looking at downsizing from the Rondo, wouldn't mind ditching some of the unnecessary "bulk". I really like the 2012 Mazda 3 hatchbacks with the Skyactiv transmissions/engines. The 2012 Focus hatchbacks are also very tempting. They drive excellent, are very quiet, and get good mpg. What I may be doing, however, is just going ahead and buying a used Subaru (Impreza hatchback, Outback, or Legacy). There is just nothing like driving one.

·
Registered
2010 Rondo EX V6 5 passenger
223 Posts
I've had two Subaru vehicles in the past; a 1997 Outback and a 2008 Impreza hatchback and we have a fair amount of snow where I live. I've also owned two other vehicles with AWD, a 2004 VW Passat wagon and a 1999 Lexus RX300. AWD is what I miss the most on the Rondo but because I'm retired and don't drive much anymore, it is less of an issue. However, if I could afford it, I would love to own a Santa Fe, Sorento or RAV4 all with AWD and V6 (5 pass version)...I'm in no rush to trade in as I have very low mileage on my Rondo but I continue to dream about my next vehicle!

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
I'm actually looking at downsizing from the Rondo, wouldn't mind ditching some of the unnecessary "bulk". I really like the 2012 Mazda 3 hatchbacks with the Skyactiv transmissions/engines. The 2012 Focus hatchbacks are also very tempting. They drive excellent, are very quiet, and get good mpg. What I may be doing, however, is just going ahead and buying a used Subaru (Impreza hatchback, Outback, or Legacy). There is just nothing like driving one.
as you probably know I "downsized" from the Rondo and bought a Soul. Some of the vehicle you mentioned above, I just find they are too low in comparison I like the fact that I can just get in a sit in a vehicle with dropping to the floor which also makes it tough getting out - just getting too old for that sort of thing. Hence the reason for going to the Soul, it still gives me lots of front and rear legroom (far more than the Focus) and lots of headroom (just like the Rondo) but all in a bit smaller package but a lot more advance features than is available in the Rondo.
Maybe I might change my mind again when I see the new model :D but for now very happy with the Soul.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been thinking a Prius V might be a good replacement. Almost as much cargo room, almost twice the mileage as a V6 Rondo, but probably not as quiet. The main negative is the significantly higher price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knd of like the Kia Sportage and the Chevy Equinox - just wish they had a third row of seats. Not an option on the Sportage, is it? Bob

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I knd of like the Kia Sportage and the Chevy Equinox - just wish they had a third row of seats. Not an option on the Sportage, is it? Bob
you have to go the Sorento for third row seating. Cargo area in the Soul = the Sportage; Rondo = the Sorento.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've been thinking a Prius V might be a good replacement. Almost as much cargo room, almost twice the mileage as a V6 Rondo, but probably not as quiet. The main negative is the significantly higher price.
That's a big "no thanks". $30,750 base price, $36K as tested by AutoWeek. And their sum up in one word? "Ugh."

·
Registered
223 Posts
30seconds, Mazda 5 is 6 passenger only and only one 4 cyl engine choice, they keep it simple! Rondo is 5 or 7 passengers with a choice of 4 or 6 cyl like the Dodge Journey. Chev Orlando is very much like the 4 cyl 7 pass Rondo but it's not sold in the U.S., only in Canada and a few offshore countries.

If you really want 7 pass then a minivan is in order or some SUV's or CUV's like RAV4, Santa Fe, etc. Or wait for the Rondo replacement...which should be available in the U.S.

For those who want to downsize a bit, the 2012 Elantra Touring (wagon) is also a good alternative and here they are giving a good discount as the new 2013 GT (5 door hatchback) is here and replacing it. However, I did not check if it's available in the U.S.

Don't know if you could import a 2012 Rondo from Canada but it's worth trying (the reverse can be done); you would have to sell your 2008 in the U.S. as I doubt they would take your trade-in in Canada.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Freedom55, the Elantra Touring is available here in the U.S. as a 2009-2012 model. You can pick up used models for a pretty good price, at least, down here in Texas. Have a friend that just purchased a low mileage Elantra Touring with a manual transmission and loves it.

·
Registered
'07 Rondo EX, '07 Chevy Avalanche LT, 02 Honda Goldwing
26 Posts
My wife and I really liked the Forte 5 door when we were last in the KIA dealer. Seems to have everything the Rondo does, just a lower roof line. Sharp car too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I love wagons! I had two before but they are not popular anymore in North America contrary to other parts of the globe. The Rondo is really a tall wagon and it suits my needs perfectly 90% of the time. I've owned a few hatchbacks too but wagons are a notch higher when you need to haul stuff. I have no need for a full size minivan so the Rondo was the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I love wagons! I had two before but they are not popular anymore in North America contrary to other parts of the globe. The Rondo is really a tall wagon and it suits my needs perfectly 90% of the time. I've owned a few hatchbacks too but wagons are a notch higher when you need to haul stuff. I have no need for a full size minivan so the Rondo was the best bang for the buck.
I agree, I find most of the car style hatchbacks too low to sit in, that's why I like my Soul nice to get into and out, just like my Rondo.
There is a replacement for the Rondo supposedly coming in the 2nd or 3rd quarter of next year and hopefully to Canada.

the day I did my trade:

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
My wife and I really liked the Forte 5 door when we were last in the KIA dealer. Seems to have everything the Rondo does, just a lower roof line. Sharp car too.
was at my dealers recently and photograph these two different reds for 2013 in the Forte 5

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree the Forte 5-door is sharp looking. I'm looking at selling my Rondo this year and picking something else up with a lower center of gravity. The Rondo is nice, but I'd like a lower center of gravity and AWD. More fun!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree the Forte 5-door is sharp looking. I'm looking at selling my Rondo this year and picking something else up with a lower center of gravity. The Rondo is nice, but I'd like a lower center of gravity and AWD. More fun!
Impreza, Legacy???

·
Registered
492 Posts
Impreza, Legacy???
Trying to make up my mind which one. I'm not as big a fan of the 2010+ Legacy's increased size, so either a 2009 Legacy (last year of that body style had several extra's standard like the 9-speaker harmon kardon audio system, etc) or a 2009+ Impreza Premium 5-door.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I'll wait to see what the Rondo's "replacement" will be and how much it costs. I still have nearly a year left to the powertrain warranty on the wife's 08. Hope it includes the 3rd row seating option with a 4cyl. My "fun" car is my 2010 Camaro. The Rondo serves every other purpose, (namely people shuttle) with great fuel economy and reliability. Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts