Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the brochure specs, I've read that the SX comes with a feature called Solar Control Glass. Eh? What exactly is this? My guess is that it's UV protected, but then again, I thought all vehicle glass has been UV protected for... ever.

Anyone else have an idea?... btw, my dealer doesn't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
From the brochure specs, I've read that the SX comes with a feature called Solar Control Glass. Eh? What exactly is this? My guess is that it's UV protected, but then again, I thought all vehicle glass has been UV protected for... ever.

Anyone else have an idea?... btw, my dealer doesn't. :rolleyes:
Dunno, I have an SX and don't notice anything fancy about it..

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
Nope, none of the models come with tinted glass.... it is just to help with heat absorption.
All vehicle glass manufactured from about 1992-onwards is tinted, slightly. Bar the front windscreen.
Its to do with UV rays and whatnot.
Thats why you don't get as much of a "truckies tan"!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taken from the above link (thanks LordHelmet):
These products reduce heat loss in cold weather, yet also reduce heat gain in hot weather.
... sounds good - but again, I thought most windshield glass already did this.

And then I also thought Solar Control Glass it might just be Kia's way of describing tinted windows. Heck, only the top-level SX is supposed to come with it, so it is plausible. But I wasn't actually at the lot to test the theory.

My suspicions were raised further when my local dealer tried to sell me.. nay force me, to take pre-installed tinting on the car when I bought it. At $499 no less :eek: When I complained about it (hey, I can do it myself for $50 - and get to choose the darkness of the tint) and also mentioned the Solar Control Glass the SX is supposed to come standard with... he mysteriously dropped the charge. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
412 Posts
Taken from the above link (thanks LordHelmet): ... sounds good - but again, I thought most windshield glass already did this.

And then I also thought Solar Control Glass it might just be Kia's way of describing tinted windows. Heck, only the top-level SX is supposed to come with it, so it is plausible. But I wasn't actually at the lot to test the theory.

My suspicions were raised further when my local dealer tried to sell me.. nay force me, to take pre-installed tinting on the car when I bought it. At $499 no less :eek: When I complained about it (hey, I can do it myself for $50 - and get to choose the darkness of the tint) and also mentioned the Solar Control Glass the SX is supposed to come standard with... he mysteriously dropped the charge. Hmmm...
I can confirm that the SX does not come with tinted windows (of any level that is noticeable). I had mine done included in the price of the car so not sure how much it was, but for reference on tinting prices: I had my mazda5 done with 18% for $225, and it has a few more windows than my Rio, my guess is the Rio would cost maybe 150-175 at a tinting place. To pay $500 would be the biggest RIPOFF EVER!!!!

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
solar control glass

Canadian Brochure lists "Solar Control Windshield Glass" Standard only on the SX model.It's heat insulating to cut down on heat buildup when parked.Mercedes S Class has had this since 2000.We Canucks also get Rain Sensor Wipers & Automatic Climate Control on the SX too.The American brochure makes no mention of either item so assume they don't have it.

·
Registered
RIO5 SX Brenthon
41 Posts
I think we do have a little tint or whatever it is.
For some reason my GF keeps telling me that the car is tinted.
I told her it's not. Maybe depends on who's looking at it.
Just like some people can't see 3D movies.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
412 Posts
I think we do have a little tint or whatever it is.
For some reason my GF keeps telling me that the car is tinted.
I told her it's not. Maybe depends on who's looking at it.
Just like some people can't see 3D movies.
if you sit in your car on a sunny day and look out the driver window, and then compare it to the little A-pillar window, you will notice that the driver window is slightly darker. the front windshield is about equal to the little a-pillar window, but the rest of the car is equal to your driver window.... a little bit tinted, not much....
all the windows are etched with the word "solar glass" in the etching section for theft etc. but i believe the a-pillar windows are not....

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It would be nice if "Solar Control Glass" meant photochromic glass like "Transitions" lenses in sunglasses. There are also electrochromic glasses that might have an application to the sun-roof.

I wouldn't touch plastic window-tinting. Looks tacky and tends to peel.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Solar glass for home window use is called "E" glass. It reflects the sun rays in the summer and allows it in during the winter. It has to do with the summer and winter suns being at different heights durring seasons.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I wouldn't touch plastic window-tinting. Looks tacky and tends to peel.
I'm not sure if you are talking about do-it-yourself type tinting or not. Professionally applied tinting looks great and doesn't peel or bubble. I wish here in BC we could tint the front windows too. I had my front windows on my Versa tinted and when I got pulled over for speeding they made me take the tinting off too.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'm not sure if you are talking about do-it-yourself type tinting or not. Professionally applied tinting looks great and doesn't peel or bubble. I wish here in BC we could tint the front windows too. I had my front windows on my Versa tinted and when I got pulled over for speeding they made me take the tinting off.
-Good thing it peels easily.:) Front tinting isn't allowed here either.

Hey MarleyFan, do you dig Ry Cooder as well? (Source of my handle, BTW).

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
In some states it is illegal to dark tint the drivers door glass. The police like to see who is holding a gun. The police carry a card with graduated dark lines. They hold it against the inside of the glass. They must be able to see the lines from the outside.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX
18 Posts
I'm not sure if you are talking about do-it-yourself type tinting or not. Professionally applied tinting looks great and doesn't peel or bubble.
Agreed. My '06 Rabbit was parked outdoors in Houston, TX and the tinting had nary a bubble, streak or tear when I traded it in this past January for the Rio. It looked exactly like it did the day it was installed 1 week after I drove it off the lot. (Better actually since there will usually be a few bubbles that disappear within days of installation.) It came with a lifetime warranty that was never needed.

The tinting on my Rio looks amazing and I have every confidence that it will last the life of the car.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 SX
17 Posts
What kind of tint have you guys used on your cars?

Hi guys,
I would like to tint my windows, but I do not know what is the best tint available for our cars. I try to stay in price range $150-200.
Also, isn't metalic tint bad for the receiption of the radio?
What brand name tint film would you recommend!
I have 2012 Kia RioSX 5. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts