Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to look at a used Borrego tomorrow-we started out looking for a 1st gen Sorento, but the third row seating in the Borrego caught my wife's eye. I wasn't going to argue against getting something larger ;) However, the fact that the Borrego was only produced for one year is a little disconcerting. It seems as though the 3.8L V6 is the same one used in a few Kias and Hyundais, so no reason for worry there, but what about engine management, transmission, front and rear drivetrain parts, etc... Am I going to be able to find a set of brake rotors in 5 years? Are they going to cost $500 apiece? :eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know for sure the engine, trans, rear drivetrain, rear suspension, and brakes are all different. Basically everything.
Are you sure about the engine? It's the same displacement, exact same HP/torque numbers...? Why would they make two different 3.8L V6s for vehicles of the same year?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The 3.8L in the Borrego is a Lambda II engine. The 3.5L in the 11-up Sorento and Sedona is actually the same platform engine. Nothing is the shared from the Lambda I 3.8 in the 07-09 Sorento, 07-09 Amanti, or the 06-10 Sedona. They are close, but different enough that nothing is interchangable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How long do you plan on owning it first of all? But yeah, there is basically zero parts carryover, they are drastically different vehicles. Everyone on the borrego is fairly heavy duty, it is a body on frame truck after all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long do you plan on owning it first of all? But yeah, there is basically zero parts carryover, they are drastically different vehicles. Everyone on the borrego is fairly heavy duty, it is a body on frame truck after all.
The reason we were drawn to Kia in the first place was the 10/100 powertrain warranty. We figured going certified used would be a smart decision since we'd get the balance of the warranty without the price of a brand new Kia. It will be my wife's vehicle-she is a stay-at-home-mom so it will be used for errands, groceries, running the kids around, etc... On the weekends it will be the family vehicle that will get us to grandma and grandpa's comfortably. We'll run out of time on the powertrain warranty before we run out of mileage. My guess is we'll hold onto it until the warranty expires, assess what kind of shape its in and decide what to do then. My concern is that if we buy it and five years down the road the transmission goes-its covered under the 10/100 warranty which is great-the question is what will Kia do for us (if anything) if its going to take six months to locate it and ship it from a warehouse in South Korea, or worse yet, if there aren't any Borrego transmissions left?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I can tell you they had to replace the computer in the trans on mine and it took 6 weeks to get the part, according to the warranty bill it was a $5k dollar part and fix. Not something you'll want to have to pay for yourself down the road. See if you can get the service records of the vehicle you want to buy. Some Borrego's are fine, some like mine have been in the shop 20 times in 2 years.
Thats because its the V8 with the german ZF transmission. The trans is the same one used in BMW, Jag, Land Rover, and others. BIG$.

The transmission used with the 3.8L is listed as the A5SR2, the same as the Sorentos, however, there are external differences between them. Internals are the same I believe. They are built by Aisin Warner and rarely break.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Badfish. I love my Borrego because it is a truck platform SUV with 4X4, 7500lb towing, 7 passenger ans all the rest. But let's face it, for a stay at home mom who needs a people hauler, not an offroad trailer puller, you should look at a 2012 Sorrento (new CUV), made in Georgia, or at another brand. What about a dodge journey? Chevy Traverse or the smaller Orlando? or a Chrysler mini van? Think of the gas mileage, and the ride comfort. And yet also, if you love the Borrego, then buy it! It IS a good vehicle. It was only discontinued in N. America for marketing reasons (bad timing/economy problems), it is still made worldwide as a Mohave. Parts will be available for the next 10 years too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Badfish. I love my Borrego because it is a truck platform SUV with 4X4, 7500lb towing, 7 passenger ans all the rest. But let's face it, for a stay at home mom who needs a people hauler, not an offroad trailer puller, you should look at a 2012 Sorrento (new CUV), made in Georgia, or at another brand. What about a dodge journey? Chevy Traverse or the smaller Orlando? or a Chrysler mini van? Think of the gas mileage, and the ride comfort. And yet also, if you love the Borrego, then buy it! It IS a good vehicle. It was only discontinued in N. America for marketing reasons (bad timing/economy problems), it is still made worldwide as a Mohave. Parts will be available for the next 10 years too.
Thanks for the reply. I do plan to do some towing with this vehicle and the hauling capacity of the new Sorento is pathetic since it's a unibody vehicle. We heat our home with wood and my in-laws who live 60 miles away have a large tract of land. Many times when we go for family gatherings I will cut wood with my FIL, but that requires me driving up separately in my pickup with my wife following behind with the baby and the dog in her car. The Borrego would allow us to all travel together AND tow a 5000lb trailer load of wood. Also, I'll be trading my fullsize pickup (I will use my wife's car as a DD for my long commute) in order to finance the purchase. I have a Toyota Hilux but its set up for offroading and is not the best vehicle for running to the lumberyard for full sheets of plywood, etc...since it's a compact truck. With a 5x8 trailer hitched to the back of the Borrego I'll be just fine. It's the perfect compromise between a minivan and a solid SUV for us. I actually just found a nice stripped down LX for sale at a local dealer for a really good price-low miles, and being sold as a CPO. I don't want to pay top dollar for leather that's too hot in the summer, power seats that will break, a sunroof that will leak, or 17" wheels that require pricey tires. This one has manual seats, cloth, and 16s and blows the other Borregos I've seen away by $2000 in price! Hopefully we'll bring it home this week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes they are 17s just alloy and not chrome:)

Side note my wife has had her copperhead LX for about three years now and only thing it has needed was tires once and oil changes....we love it!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Base on my internet research, the transmission and engine are used on a number of vehicles, thus I don't think this will be that bad of an issue in the future. One Kia salesman even told me that they are considering bringing the Borrego back as a hybrid. Go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mohave is still being sold around the world (2012). Kia opened new plants and is now being built in Russia and in Kazakhstan (Borat, remember?). Sold all over the Americas and very popular in Russia and the middle east. Don't worry about parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
nefrojas
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing