Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Sportage. Recently my oil light popped on. Oil changed about 1 week ago and I have kept up on my maintenance. Kia has 101,000 miles on it.
Anyway, took Kia to mechanic and he said sounded like an oil pump problem. He put a gauge on the kia and the oil pressure is fine while driving but when idling it drops between 5 &10 on the guage. What does this mean. Mechanic says it could be a problem down the road and not to let it idle longer than 5 minutes. I would rather the problem be fixed than to break down one day completely. Any ideas how to correct the problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your Kia Mechanic needs to go back to school. An oil pressure of 5 - 10 PSI at idle on a fully warmed up little 4 banger motor is perfectly OK. As long as the oil pressure jumps up as soon as you come off idle the oil pump is good. And as long as it pumps between approx 43 - 57 PSI at 3000 RPM it's good.

The oil sender light will come on when the oil pressure drops to a piddly 3.6 PSI or lower. It's designed that way to accomodate the normal low pressures at idle. Your Kia Tech should check his shop manual. The sender light spec is in there.

But the question remains...why did it come on? Could be a bad sender or loose/corroded wiring to the sender. I would eliminate those possibilities first. But I doubt the oil pump is bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts