Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Very infomative forum, enjoyed viewing owners perspective of the Sorento.
Just had test drive of 3.5 auto (not tiptronic) very impressed. I do need to test the diesel manual version for comparison.
The diesel wll give better fuel economy and better residuals however I would appreciate any views especially with regard to choice of gearbox. My annual mileage is generally below 10000 so is the diesel version a major issue for me ?
New XSE model had just been delivered to the Dealer, again very impressive !

·
Registered
153 Posts
I drive the diesel with the 5 speed autobox, great combination. I read on other forums that the manual box is not so great.

If you go for the diesel don't let the noise on a cold morning start turn you down, it gets better with a hot engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Diesel auto, see no reason why you want the manual. The new XSE model is just a little update of the XS. Not really a new model. I hope they will get a new diesel engine soon. As the current one is sluggish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've only taken the manual diesel for a test drive and i wasn't too impressed. The clutch takes very low compared to my diesel Isuzu, but the pull offs and gear changes were not very smooth. Dropping down from 3rd to 2nd was also a bit rough. Maybe that was because of the clutch taking early or because the engine was cold. Overall my Isuzu is a lot smoother, even when cold. I am in the market for a new Sorento but haven't decided which one yet. Petrol is quite a bit more expensive than diesel here in South Africa so it will probably be one of the diesel variants. I believe the petrol engine is quite thirsty. Anyway, I am a diesel fan, haven't driven a petrol car for 12 years. :grin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
bobman, go for the diesel. The petrol version is a joke, will empty your wallet in seconds... my diesel goes well after I tuned it. Just need the K&N filter now and I'll be happy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did a test drive of various Sorento's with manual boxes and was not impressed, always feeling that I needed that extra gear.
Tried an auto and found it was better but not great then tried the 5 speed auto, now sitting proudly on my drive! My feelings and we all have different views is it is the right combination with the diesel engine. At 80mph on the motorway it was supprisily quiet and just purred along with no effort, smooth and stable. Infact I have been out and about today in high winds and forgot about the wind till I got out of the car.
Yes the engine does chatter at first on a cold morning but that is soon gone. Performance for a full sized 4x4 I think is very good and I find it a pleasure to drive in the rush hour and I have done so in London. The h-matic/tiptronic/sports mode or what ever you like to call it is very good for a quick getaway at lights, you don't have to floor it but upshift below 3000rpm and use the grunt of the diesel.
Well! that is my view and mine has had a few loving pats on the dashboard and a contented smile on my face :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find the diesel engined Sorento brilliant. It's smooth and fairly brisk. You should try driving a Land Rover Discovery TDI that was a real slug. Changed my Discovery for a Sorento never regreted a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts