Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must change oil in my sedona, but I don`t know what kind of oil is using in 3,3 V6 GDI, beacuse in Europe this car not exist.
I read that oil 5W30 is "normal" for this engine, it is true? I don`t want kill pistons and cylinders :) Thanks for suggestions.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
89 Posts
Full synthetic 5W-30

Look for oil marked SN-Plus. "API SN Plus is a supplemental oil category from the American Petroleum Institute (API). The oil formulations for API SN Plus are specifically designed to help prevent LSPI* in TGDI** (and GDI) engines." Why? To minimize carbon on valves.

*LSPI is an abnormal combustion event in which the fuel-air mixture ignites before intended, causing excessive pressures inside the engine's cylinders.
**Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection

Wanna go nuts? Look for other specifications such as Dexos 1 Gen 2 or those approved by VW or BMW etc.

As for me, I have a penchant for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (when there is a rebate) or Castrol Edge (ditto) or even Mobil 1 (ibid). With rebates, I usually get the 5-qt jug down to around USD12 (i.e. CHEAP!)

That said, plain ole AmazonBasics or Syntech from Wal-Mart (*both full synthetic) meet all necessary specs.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
511 Posts
5w-30 is a very good choice in general for Europe, get either synth blend or full synth oil, some 'conventional' oils are in fact synth blends too (if you wanna research further and save money). Shell Helix is a good name. Get SN Plus oil as suggested above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fromgin, dubber09 - thanks for big lesson about oils. Now I know more. When I has Mazda 323F BA(1996) I used "Midland Oil" beacuse the engine 1.5 was drinking oil and smoke. When I used Midland was better. Next my car was Opel Omega 2000 2.5V6 and this engine used Castrol SLX full synthetic - very expensive oil for me... cost- 1 liter 35$, omega engines need 5,5 liters... i bought cheaper "Comma Oil" (for Japan engines) very good Oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VanGo3, I was sure that motul only produce oils for motorcycles :) I used this oil for my motorbike. Nice to know that motul produce oils for cars.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
89 Posts
This is a minivan, not a high-performance German something-or-other. Yes to synthetic (because GDI), but beyond that, the cheapest will do, whether on sale, on rebate or, heck, on Walmart's shelves. More important to follow mfr's recommended change schedule. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
150 Posts
Yeah, folks continue to fuss over motor oil for no good reason. It's hard to pick a bad oil off store shelves these days. Even if it a high performance German something-or-other, the cheapest synthetic oil on sale/rebate will work just fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, folks continue to fuss over motor oil for no good reason. It's hard to pick a bad oil off store shelves these days. Even if it a high performance German something-or-other, the cheapest synthetic oil on sale/rebate will work just fine.
I agree use whatever is on sale, BUT, most oils that are sold on the shelf are the cheapest and made to last or protect your engine components up to 6 or 7000 miles. Heck, some car shops use even cheaper oil that will actually last and protect less. Yes sir. So is not so much that is something to "fuss" about and you are right up to a point, but there are much better motor oils out there that last longer, meaning that you actually don't have to change the engine's oil too frequent, and at the same time those more higher quality oils do protect your engine's metals much better. That will equal to a longer engine life.

Personally I use the brand Mag1 which I believe it lasts up to 11,000 miles. The formula in this oil is different and superior than most oils out there. I purchase it at amazon in a box of six but I believe you can also buy it individual bottles/quarts.

But you are right, you can buy the cheapest oil, but just make sure to replace it at the time the oil looses it's protection properties. You are welcome to google many of the well known brands out there, there is information regarding how long the oil lasts. And also I do agree that you don't have to buy a super expensive high performance oil unless you actually go to races and stuff.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,803 Posts
I agree use whatever is on sale, BUT, most oils that are sold on the shelf are the cheapest and made to last or protect your engine components up to 6 or 7000 miles. Heck, some car shops use even cheaper oil that will actually last and protect less. Yes sir. So is not so much that is something to "fuss" about and you are right up to a point, but there are much better motor oils out there that last longer, meaning that you actually don't have to change the engine's oil too frequent, and at the same time those more higher quality oils do protect your engine's metals much better. That will equal to a longer engine life.

Personally I use the brand Mag1 which I believe it lasts up to 11,000 miles. The formula in this oil is different and superior than most oils out there. I purchase it at amazon in a box of six but I believe you can also buy it individual bottles/quarts.

But you are right, you can buy the cheapest oil, but just make sure to replace it at the time the oil looses it's protection properties. You are welcome to google many of the well known brands out there, there is information regarding how long the oil lasts. And also I do agree that you don't have to buy a super expensive high performance oil unless you actually go to races and stuff.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I make 6000 miles per year, I don`t care for mileage, always in spring I change oil and filters (all, without fuel filter), it`s not expensive and it better for engine. I never choose best oils beacuse these is expensive (like castrol SLX). Liqui moly in Europe is middle with other oils (I mean price and quality). I bought Kia Sedona not for one season, this car will stay with me for long time :) In my city I`ll be only one with Sedona. I must remove on tailgate word SEDONA and EX, people will be think what is a Kia car :)

Sorry if I do grammar, word mistakes. I try write without google translator help.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
721 Posts
No apologies needed!

🙂🙃😉

Your English is better than many native speakers on here (and other forums).

Richard

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
150 Posts

The idea of not buying expensive oils is so I don't feel the need to "get my money's worth". That doesn't mean I always buy the absolute cheapest. I just buy whatever is a good deal whenever I happen to be shopping. The 10w30 full synthetic (Valvoline? I think) in my Sedona right now probably hasn't seen 5000 mile yet, but it is getting changed out this weekend, now that Summer is finally over around here. The oil probably still has good service life left in it, but perhaps the filter needs replaced. Why worry? Auto parts stores have sales and deals all the time, quite often throwing in a filter for free. This time around though, I bought 6-pack of Mobil-1 at Costco on sale cheap. I suppose Mobil-1 is regarded as premium brand, but I could care less about brand or reputation. I highly doubt any of the name brands are much better or worse than each other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I too could care less about brand or reputation that's why I said to change ANY oil at the right time whenever that oil has lost it's protection effect. I just purchased a $30+ vehicle and I also intend to keep it for a long time and since I discovered the Mag1 engine oil that's what I choose to use and that's what I also use in my 2007 Toyota Sienna with 170,000 miles. It lasts a lot longer than most oils (11,000 miles I believe) and the oil's formula is really good so that means It costs me a few bucks more but in the long run I also save by avoiding more frequent oil changes. The Mag1 from Amazon is not that expensive.

Engine oils are like shampoos. There are lots of shampoos everywhere, Costco, CVS, Rite Aid, Wallmart, Target, etc and they are okay, after all they clean your hair, but there are better options out there with higher quality ingredients that do make a difference. What do you put on your hair and what do you put in your vehicle's engine? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts