Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to see what fuel economy everyone is getting with the Rio. I know the onboard computer gives a different figure than if you manually calculate it - but I wanted to keep it simple (and many of us won't bother with the manual calculations anyway).

Plus, seeing that we have an international flavor here, it would be great if we try posting in both metric and US standard (and also state your rough City / Highway percentages if you know them).

Taking the initial number directly from my car, it's:

7.0L/100km or 33.6mpg (80% City - 20% Hwy)

With only 700km on our car, this # is steadily improving. For conversion numbers, just use this simple calculator

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Overall, about 1350 miles on the odometer, during this whole time the dashboard says I averaged 43.2mph (69.5kph), 37.7mpg (6.25L/100km), but got in reality 33.9mpg (6.9L/100km). I'd say 2/3 city and 1/3 highway.

Best efficiency was on a single highway trip of 368 miles (592km), dashboard says averaged 58mph (93kph), and dashboard says I averaged 42.9mpg (5.5L/100km). I Used 9.5 gal (7.9imp. gal) so 38.7mpg by calculation (6.0L/100km) at 100% highway driving was my best efficiency to date.

Dashboard seems to report 4mpg better than reality. Korean programmers must have forgot to convert metric to normal units somewhere. :)

HTH.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I Used 9.5 gal (7.9imp. gal) so 38.7mpg by calculation (6.0L/100km) at 100% highway driving was my best efficiency to date.

HTH.
Hate to throw another thing into the unit of measurement mix but, I think it makes most sense when quoting mpg to be using U.S. gallons rather than imperial gallons. Since mpg figures are mostly for our US members and you can't even buy an imperial gallon of gas in Canada anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Never paid much attention to the measurements, when traveling up North, I'm too much in awe as how beautiful Canada is.

How about this: I'm getting 92% of the 30 city estimated economy and 97% of the 40 highway estimated economy.

Cuts all the conversions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about this: I'm getting 92% of the 30 city estimated economy and 97% of the 40 highway estimated econom
y.
hahahahahahaha :)

·
Registered
Lotus Elise S1, Kia Rio 3 (2012), Yamaha FZ6
48 Posts
I always get the Math wrong, but we use different metrics over here (UK) and obviously have different gallons also. I'll give it a go tho.

Over a full tank, I can average 62mpg, but one certain journeys (such as my 45 mile round trip to work) I can achieve 70+ if I drive like a girl (figures at teh dash, which are probably a little high)

If 1 UK gallon is basically 1.2 US gallons, then:

1mpg UK = 0.83mpg US
10mpg UK = 8.3mpg US
30mpg UK = 24.9mpg US
40mpg UK = 33.2mpg US
60mpg UK = 48.9mpg US
70mpg UK = 57.2mpg US

The following are the figures I can expect to get, and I think that Urban and Extra Urban are your equivalent of City and Highway:

FUEL CONSUMPTION MPG (l/100km) & EMISSIONS
Urban 62.8 (4.5)
Extra Urban 76.3 (3.7)
Combined 70.6 (4.0)

There is a 1.1 3 cylinder diesel engine in the range over here that tops out at over 88mpg, which is better than any hybrid. OK, it's not fast, but if economy is important, and you do a lot of slow town driving...

Of course, I use a diesel engine not petrol, and without wanting to sound rude, I don't understand why you guys over in the US and Canada etc don't seem to have them? It seems that a manual Diesel car can achieve up to twice the figures for an automatic petrol engine (transmission is another discussion...). I know your fuel is cheap (no, don't laugh, you don't want to know what we pay over in Europe, and diesel is more expensive than Petrol by about 10% also), but even so if I did the following " single highway trip of 368 miles (592km), dashboard says averaged 58mph (93kph), and dashboard says I averaged 42.9mpg" I would be pretty upset over the figures. Taking the 42.9mpg to be US gallons, that's about 50mpg UK, and I pretty much can't get lower than that if I try even with constant town driving.

I'd be interested to know what you people over the pond think of diesels, and how important fuel economy/price etc really is.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX 6spd
59 Posts
In Canada, the only 'mainstream' (ie, non-luxury) to offer diesel as an option is VW (at least that I can think of). Audi, BMW and Mercedes all offer diesels, but they're rather monstrously powerful things, albeit efficient considering their output. Chrysler offered a Mercedes diesel as well for a few years, but I don't believe they currently do. Ford, GM and Chrysler also offer diesel options in their larger trucks.

Not sure why we don't like diesels. I've read that GM's (Oldsmobile) diesels were so bad that they soured the North American market. Apparently they were awful.

I know a few years back one of reasons some manufacturers couldn't bring over their diesel engines was our fuel had too much sulphur.

One last reason is emissions (I think, anyways). I believe our emissions standards are different, and often the manufacturers are using an exhaust treatment that involves injecting a urea-based fluid into the exhaust stream.

Forgot, 17,000km, overall average 6.75l/100km, best was 5.8, worst 8.15.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
Forgot, 17,000km, overall average 6.75l/100km, best was 5.8, worst 8.15.
are those numbers from the computer or actually calculated using liters pumped and km's traveled? my computer tells me i am getting 7.3, but that actually corresponds to a real number of 8.1

those number are amazing compared to mine... i am averaging 8.2 over 4000 km's, my worst has been 9.2 and my best 7.5. i am about 50/50 highway/city and i am driving as lightly as possible in an attempt to get numbers even close to yours....

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
I always get the Math wrong, but we use different metrics over here (UK) and obviously have different gallons also. I'll give it a go tho.

If 1 UK gallon is basically 1.2 US gallons, then:

1mpg UK = 0.83mpg US
10mpg UK = 8.3mpg US
30mpg UK = 24.9mpg US
40mpg UK = 33.2mpg US
60mpg UK = 48.9mpg US
70mpg UK = 57.2mpg US
save yourself a lot of work and bookmark this page :D
Unit Conversions

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
i am averaging 8.2 over 4000 km's, my worst has been 9.2 and my best 7.5. .
over 7200 km I'm averaging 8.3, worse 9.1, best 7.3 - by the way that's in my 2.0L Soul :D (all based on full tanks)

computer AVERAGE comparison to manual calculation as worked out on the last full tanks as follows:
manual calculation 8.2, computer AVERAGE reading 8.0
manual 7.3, computer 7.4
manual 7.5, computer 7.9
manual 7.8, computer 7.8

so averaging it out the computer AVERAGE calculation is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX 6spd
59 Posts
are those numbers from the computer or actually calculated using liters pumped and km's traveled? my computer tells me i am getting 7.3, but that actually corresponds to a real number of 8.1

those number are amazing compared to mine... i am averaging 8.2 over 4000 km's, my worst has been 9.2 and my best 7.5. i am about 50/50 highway/city and i am driving as lightly as possible in an attempt to get numbers even close to yours....
Calculated, not relying on the computer. For me, the computer is between .2 and .5l optimistic.

My fuel economy was still improving at 4000km.

thanks

Brian

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
Car says I get around 7.2-7.6 out of it. Around the 30mpg mark. Its almost 50/50 driving. Only on the freeway for about 15mins going to and from work for 6days and the rest is made up of city driving.

Car has done around 13000km (I drive it everywhere) and includes not very economical driving

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First tank travelled 610 kms avg 6.4 lts/100kms

2nd tank travelled 630 kms avg 6.3 lts/100kms
I'm wondering this too. Pretty stellar numbers for the 2 very first tankfulls. Gotta be primarily highway.

The Rio can do better than this on the the highway of course - but usually after it's broken in more.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Just got back from a 351 kilometer road trip running @110kilometers (just under 70 MPH) on cruise control & averaged 44 imperial mpg:).Car now has 5038 kilometers.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi. My baby blue has now 3800 km on odo. Fuel economy is in fact getting better but slowly. The computer used to show 7.2/7.7km/L. Now is't between 6.2/6.9. Since I live in the suburbs, my rides consist of very small, small and medium distances but on highways. Never go in the city so don't do much of short stop and go. Plus, I treated the baby with Premium gas - no ethanol- for the last two fills and it showed on the computer. Yesterday, I filled the tank with regular gas for 20$ in order to check a difference if there's one. First tank with Premium was Eco off, second Eco On. A difference of 2 MPG in economy.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Car is a 1.6L 3 door manual SLS (5600KM at time of post)

to be honest my trip computer is pretty accurate overall

depends on the speeds and octane rating of the fuel, but mostly the car is used for torturous peak-hour start-stop major road driving, 8KM in the morning, 8KM in the evening, never gets to heat up properly so it's mostly running cold-start rich mode. In that mode only, i get 9L/100KM (26.1 MPG US). This was on 91RON, now i'm running premium so can't comment thus far.

on the highway again with 91RON at 110KM/h (GPS synced) i get 6.7L/100 (35.1 MPG US)

had some pinging recently from bad fuel and have run it on 95-98RON ever since. Did a trip yesterday using premium 98RON, at 100KM/h GPS synced, 170KM round trip including some 80KM/h and some peak hour, and returned 5.7L/100KM (41.3 MPG US).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts