Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in the process of discovering that I probably need a new ignition switch I found something I cannot figure our. The is a very small toggle switch hanging from the wiring harness under the dash. It is only labeled on and off with no other markings. Does anybody have any idea what is for? I did switch it on and off under various conditions and nothing caught fire or blew up. Nothing happened at all. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My first thought is that you purchased this vehicle used and a prior owner installed the switch for who knows what.. Possibly it now connects to nothing or if it does....it will require some wire tracing. Be careful!

·
Super Moderator
6,843 Posts
I have read that there may be this type of switch that enables the learning of remote door locking/security key fobs.
This may or may not be the case.
Dave

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Possibly an aftermarket alarm has been fitted and that is what is sometimes known as the "valet parking" switch. Allows car to be driven but disables other features (like trunk release). Mind you, I don't think a professional installer would "leave it hanging". (when I had mine done the switch was put on the very front side panel of the console under the dash.) Sometimes may also be used for programming alarm functions or for 'emergency disable' if you have a code. On our UK spec models that came with alarms there is a programming push button integrated with an activity LED on top of the steering wheel housing which also can be used to deactivate the internal motion sensors. (Cobra brand alarms)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia optima that has the mystery switch as well.. yes the car was purchased used, but one owner car and it came from my grandfather. I am 99 percent sure that the car is 100percent stock.. : ). It does have auto start... Going to check if the switch is related to that. P.s. switch is not "hanging" but is mounted under dash where gentleman states.. but I see why he says hanging . It is a secure mount... He didn't mean "hanging" by the wires.. but he most likely meant a hanging mount..

·
Super Moderator
9,236 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia optima that has the mystery switch as well.. yes the car was purchased used, but one owner car and it came from my grandfather. I am 99 percent sure that the car is 100percent stock.. : ). It does have auto start... Going to check if the switch is related to that. P.s. switch is not "hanging" but is mounted under dash where gentleman states.. but I see why he says hanging . It is a secure mount... He didn't mean "hanging" by the wires.. but he most likely meant a hanging mount..
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Super Moderator
9,236 Posts
Update.. when this switch is off... The auto start, on the factory remote, does not work...
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing