Kia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX 2.0T
11 Posts
I don't see any real upside to this monitoring, looks like big brother all over. I'm not in the least bit interested in having one of these either! I even wonder about adding a dashcam, what if they decide to subpoena that in the case of an accident? If it cast any doubt on the cause, it probably wouldn't go in your favor.
Yep, I don't need anyone to watch my driving habits for me. My insurance is $23 a month. Don't think anybody will give it to me any cheaper for just putting a tracker in my car lol.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
65 Posts
F my insurance company. They screw me left and right. Have a 2008 Expedition, partial coverage, still $950 a year on it. Won’t even tell you what it is on my 19 Sorento.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
262 Posts
Insurance here in Ontario (Toronto area) is awful. For my wife and I, no accidents, I'm paying $2800 a year for the 2020 Sorento and the 2013 Elantra GT.....and I'm getting a deal because of where I work. I get $2mil of coverage, no deductible, rental car benefits, etc. so I do get the full package with that price at least.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
98 Posts
It's a dealer installed tracking device. The dealers will install them at the request of the lender during the sale of the car. Very common practice. My neighbor installs tons of the at the Honda dealer. He does so many that he has bundles of extra zip ties as the kits come with more than needed.

As for the insurance tracker... Yeah those are a bad idea but don't take my word for it look at what the lawyers say about them.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
418 Posts
This thread is getting a bit off target... As you can see I'm not a fan of being monitored. 30 years with no tickets nor insurance claims and I would probably get a crappy score. Maybe driving a old 65 HP VW Bug could be a better fit for
this program. Except for, time of day and areas driven, it can't exceed any of the acceleration nor braking penalties.

To the original Poster (OP), please come back and let us know your experience with 'Drivewise' . I will warn you that your savings amount and score will let all of know, maybe to much, about your habits.

Any of the below will lower your score.
  • If you work off hour shifts or socialize and drive between the hours of 11PM to 5AM that's considered a negative.
  • One or two fast accelerations merging into an interstate is a no-go. (never spin your tires in a snowbank).
  • Exceeding 80 MPH trying to pass a muti 18 wheeler convoy on a 70 MPH highway will count against you. Edit: they do not track speeding, it's exceeding 80MPH in any situation that may cancel your saving for that report
  • Hitting the brakes to slow down (more than 8 MPH within 1 second) after being cut off, or a dog in the road is bad.
  • You have to enable the GPS locator and the Drivewise app on your phone when driving, so they can track where you drive (city/highway/country) to decide if those areas are safe or accident prone according to their algorithm.
Note. you can disable Drivewise w/o any penalty (pull OBD2 monitor and stop the app.) but you won't collect safe data towards savings.

Something else.
- Drivewise data history can be request by the courts to assist or oppose you in an accident trial. Same goes for a dash-cam as gunrunnerjohn stated previously.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
710 Posts
Well, I agree there is a lot of thread drift taking place but let me relate my personal experience. Progressive has their Snapshot program and when I entered it 5 years ago, you were required to drive with the dongle for six months, they would calculate your discount (or not ) and you returned the dongle. I got the full 25% discount, my wife got less (I'm not allowed to tell the world she got 0% so I just say less :) ). Now, had they required the device to stay in the car forever, I would have never agreed to the program but I figured for six months I could restrain myself and actually I did not have to. What they measured when you looked online at the data was time of day, speed, accel and decel rates. At that time, I do not believe the Snapshot device had GPS capability as I don't remember any comparisons between my speed and speed limits (although that could have been hidden information that they used). And, my wife was not penalized for her performance so overall I got a 25% discount on my 4Runner that I kept for almost three years until I switched companies. Again, temporary installation that resulted in a noticeable discount was worth it to me but with all the data collection going on in today's world, would probably not do it in this day and age as I'm sure they've added a lot more capability to the devices and probably share that data across a number of companies.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts