Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, peoples, I am new here and have a question.
I have a 2003 Sorento lx V6 and need to change spark plugs, the engine has a miss at higher rpm.
What is the best sparkplug I should use?
Thanks
Philip

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,738 Posts
Hi, peoples, I am new here and have a question.
I have a 2003 Sorento lx V6 and need to change spark plugs, the engine has a miss at higher rpm.
What is the best sparkplug I should use?
Thanks
Philip
I'm going with NGK's latest extended life plugs.

NGK 96457 Ruthenium HX

You can more than double the change interval compared to the original plugs in a 2003 model.

The Ruthenium is harder wearing metal compared to the Iridium and Platinum.

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
35 Posts
Or, just go with the OEM installed and you should be good to go...on the 1.5Gen Sorentos (07-09), they came with NGK laser iridium. Because the spark plugs are a pain to change on Sorentos, I would stay away from the 'gimicky' type plugs like E3, splitfire, etc.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frustrated now,
OK, Installed new wires valve cover gaskets, the 3 coils and NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11 plugs,
cleaned throttle body and Mas Air Flow sensor.
Engine Still misses at higher rpm. Idles just fine. wow!
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,738 Posts
Frustrated now,
OK, Installed new wires valve cover gaskets, the 3 coils and NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11 plugs,
cleaned throttle body and Mas Air Flow sensor.
Engine Still misses at higher rpm. Idles just fine. wow!
Any suggestions?
Have you checked the codes - I'd do this as it might flag up something else in addition to the misfire, and if it identifies a specific cylinder misfiring switch the ign coils and see if it moves to a different cylinder.

If no electrical ignition problem is found do a compression test.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
164 Posts
Time to take into a professional shop who can hook it up to the mega buck computer and run the engine thru all the various diagnostic tests......

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
164 Posts
I'm going with NGK's latest extended life plugs.

NGK 96457 Ruthenium HX

You can more than double the change interval compared to the original plugs in a 2003 model.

The Ruthenium is harder wearing metal compared to the Iridium and Platinum.
Roon1004.....when I put the part number you supplied at the NGK web site it is not found.
Obviously, your in the know, but how can we order this plug when NGK's own web site does not show the p/n?
Thanks! Lou

·
Super Moderator
9,738 Posts
Roon1004.....when I put the part number you supplied at the NGK web site it is not found.
Obviously, your in the know, but how can we order this plug when NGK's own web site does not show the p/n?
Thanks! Lou
That was the part number that appears on RockAuto.com

The below NGK site also lists it for the 2003 Sorento.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Compression checed 2,4,6 above 150 to 160 lbs.
See plugs in photo.
No codes present (I have checked 15 times already and just now.
codes.jpg

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,365 Posts
When you pulled the ICV did you check the injector harness plugs?
They get very brittle and can cause a misfire from engine vibration.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
463 Posts
To me, missing at only high rpm usually indicates a problem with the fuel pump. Won't matter which spark plugs you use if there's a fuel delivery issue where the pump can't keep up with the demand at high rpm. Did you inspect/compare the tips from the old plugs? That should tell you enough about what's going on inside the cylinders. But on a 2003, I'd be looking to change the fuel filter first just to rule that out.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The old plugs were very waisted, it needed plugs many miles ago, but all were firing, no oil at all.
Fuel....good suggestion for sure, I'll go there next, measure pressure, change filter etc.
Right now I am trying to fix the water reservoir leak, very bad at the seam where the 2 halves join
together it is separating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts