Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering buying a new 2005 Spectra EX w/5spd. My reason for this is that I currently drive my '88 Mustang GT everyday and my commute is about 60 miles each direction. I'm nearing 200k miles on the 'stang and since I'll be going over 5 mountain passes in each direction when I start my new job 70 miles from home in a couple weeks, gas mileage and reliability are growing concerns...(especially since So. Oregon gas is nearing $3/gal) The Mustang will get about 22-23 mpg highway when cruising at 70-75 mph.

I've seen a lot of posts listing gas mileage, but many are in L/km and I don't trust conversions too much and several don't mention if they are talking imperial gallons or US gallons.

What are the basic expectations for gas mileage on one of these little buggers when only driving highway, averaging around 70-75 mph?

Thanks in advance for any other buying advice or info I should know!!

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
The Kia website says 25 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway for the 5 speed manual. Those are always off a little any ways. I have a 05 Spectra SX. Its an automatic and I get 26 mpg traveling at 75 mph. You would prolly get about the same. They are a great car and priced well too. :thumbsup:
Thats all in US gallons by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...See, that's what bothers me.... I know what they are "rated" at, I'm wondering what the real world mileage is....

26 mpg doesn't justify buying a new car. I could probably get that in my old Mustang if I drove a little nicer (ok, I wouldn't, but I have gotten up to 24). If 26 is all the best it can do under "normal" driving, why wouldn't I go for something like a new Mustang V6? Or a more direct competor, the Focus?

I know I'll get bashed on that since this is a Kia site, but I bleed Ford blue and the Kia was the first thing non-Ford I've considered buying in a long time. I really need something that will get over 30 mpg under normal driving (normal for me is 70-75 mph, including up mountains).

Help me here!! I'm trying to talk myself into a Kia, but I can't justify it unless it gets 30+ and I would really like to see more like 34....

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Nope no bashing will happen here. I hear where you are coming from. But I dont think a Spectra will get 30+ mpg week after week after week especially going though mountains at 70 - 75 mph. I just dont think that it is possible.
The reason Im happy with 27 mpg is becasue the vehicle I had before was a 04 Kia Sorento LX which got 16 mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's a little disappointing...I get an average of 18-19 with the Mustang with the combo of city/hwy driving that I'm currently doing...

26-27 would put me in the range of our '95 Taurus that has 135k on it... I really need more than that...

Does anyone else have any numbers they'd care to share on this?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Yeah I hear you when you talk about gaz millage on Kia's. I read somewhere that Kia/Hyundai , knows they cant compete when it comes to gaz consomption on ther vehicules. Well that might actually change. I know the new engines on the 2006 Sonata's are now classed as being fuel efficent, the L4 2.4L doing 24/town 33/highway, while my 2005 Magentis L4 2.4L only does 23/town 30/highway US mpg. I actually average 25-27, mixed driving, and driving pretty fast (70-75mph) and using the steptronic most of the time. NOt a very big difference in MPG numbers, but there is a big difference in HP, from 138HP to 162HP.

When I bought the car about 2 months agoI just assumed that since it was a L4 2.4 it would be way better on gaz then my big old buick regal V6 3.8l . But in the end I was wrong, I use to get around 30 mpg with my buick. So knowing that now I'm not sure I would of bought this car. Espetially at this crazy price of 1.16$ per Liter, meaning 4.38$ per US gallon. But our money is worth less so that's 3.66$ US per gallon.

If you want a Kia with good mpg I would wait for the 2006 models to come out. Like the new 2006 Optima or even the Rio 2006 that will be bigger and more powerfull. I think it's something to consider unless your mind was really set on the Spectra or need a car now, then I guess you'll have to with ford. But I think you would be better of with a V6 going up hills like that you need lots of torque.

I dont like how much my car drinks gaz but on the other hand I like the value I got and love the car itself, only thing that I hate is the mpg. But at least I had a good 0% financing on the car and I have that 5/5/5 warranty, roadside assistance, plus I drive a new car and I dont have to worry about a thing. Also when you compare Kia's with other brands like honda/vw when it comes down to maintnance that has to be done on the car, at kia's it's cheap, but other garages will make a hole in your walley every time you need a oil change.....

Sorry about the long post I'm just bored lol.

Martin

:460:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by Legal Eagle@Aug 24 2005, 04:16 PM

Help me here!! I'm trying to talk myself into a Kia, but I can't justify it unless it gets 30+ and I would really like to see more like 34....
Simple, do what I just did...purchase a 06 Toyota Corolla-S 5 speed. 41 mpg and a vehicle with a Greeeaaaat reputation! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
What's toy guy doing here?

My '05 A/T Spectra is getting 30~32 mpg in average with A/C 99% on here in hot So. Calif. Now I'm on 4th tank of gas. Window sticker EPA rating says 25-34 mpg (M/T says 26-33 mpg?). I had '01 5-spd Elantra (traded in for KIA) with same 2.0L engine for 50,000 miles and it never went below 30 mpg. Highest I got was something like 38 mpg when drove from here to UT, 500+ mile non-stop trip. You can't get everything you want. More MPG means, Less HP. IMO, '05 Spectra has the best balance of MPG, HP, $$ value PLUS awesome factory wty. The engine is now EPA rated as SULEV, not just ULEV. Have you notced the fins on oil pan for extra cooling, and double fans? Where can you find a car like that for $12,000?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts