Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
That's the big announcement? What was wrong with your EX? Mine has good power and is definitely a sporty ride. So you bought a car you didn't like, then traded down a year to get a turbo and still had to add $6000 to the pot? And there's something we can take away from all this? Oh, I know, if you don't know how to manage your affairs better than that, get professional help when buying a car. How fitting that you're from CA.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
Yeah I was hoping this would be more Sportage-specific. Seems more like a common sense post. You lose your a$$ when buying a new vehicle so you need to stick with it for a while.

I am also not in love with my Sportage, but due to cargo and towing capacities so an SX won't help me. I am going to sit tight on mine until what I owe equals what it's worth, which may be a while... Or until some crazy NJ driver with good insurance plows into me. :D

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Just a friendly reminder to go w/ your gut. Not an announcement per se. Thought it may help someone if they're thinking about 2nd guessing their original decision to "buy up".

Anyway, saxman: Not from California originally. Born in Detroit, MI and moved here after finishing college. What does living in Cali. have to do with anything anyway? Hmm, by that logic/statement I could care less what you think about me or my decision. The opinion from a person such as your self means nothing to me and is basically a waste of time even reading or replying to it. Save it for the next guy,

LOL, if you think that 2.4L has "good power" you've obviously never driven anything better than a Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris. Seriously. It was lame at best.

Finally, this inept Californian makes $80/hour as a software engineer. Billing 40 hours a week mind you while running his own company. So, wasn't a big "cash loss" for me and not the moral of the story. I'm sorry you couldn't afford the SX. And don't say, umm, yeah I could have! Because no one with the cash would ever turn it down over the alternative LX/EX if available in your market. Ever wonder why most "rich people" drive nice and/or fast cars? Because they have the money to do so and don't care about the mileage.

If you're then going to say, but I'm green/eco-conscious and wanted best in class MPG! Save it. You should have purchased an electric vehicle or a Prius. Oh wait, those are expensive too. Wha whaaaa (sad trombone).

Admin/OP: Could you please delete this thread? I was just hoping to help someone who may 2nd guess buying the SPORTAGE SX (on topic for this forum btw) and wasn't trying to attract negative comments from haters and trolls. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Just a friendly reminder to go w/ your gut. Not an announcement per se. Thought it may help someone if they're thinking about 2nd guessing their original decision to "buy up".

Anyway, saxman: Not from California originally. Born in Detroit, MI and moved here after finishing college. What does living in Cali. have to do with anything anyway? Hmm, by that logic/statement I also bet your a racist bigot too. Or just stupid... Either way, I could care less what you think about me or my decision. The opinion from a person such as your self means nothing to me and is basically a waste of time even reading or replying to it. Save it for the next guy, troll...

LOL, if you think that 2.4L has "good power" you've obviously never driven anything better than a Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris. Seriously. It was lame at best.

Finally, this inept Californian makes $80/hour as a software engineer. Billing 40 hours a week mind you while running his own company. So, wasn't a big "cash loss" for me and not the moral of the story. I'm sorry you couldn't afford the SX. And don't say, umm, yeah I could have! Because no one with the cash would ever turn it down over the alternative LX/EX if available in your market. Ever wonder why most "rich people" drive nice and/or fast cars? Because they have the money to do so and don't care about the mileage.

If you're then going to say, but I'm green/eco-conscious and wanted best in class MPG! Save it. You should have purchased an electric vehicle or a Prius. Oh wait, those are expensive too. Wha whaaaa (sad trombone).

Admin/OP: Could you please delete this thread? I was just hoping to help someone who may 2nd guess buying the SPORTAGE SX (on topic for this forum btw) and wasn't trying to attract negative comments from haters and trolls. Thx in advance.

I think an even bigger piece of advice is TEST DRIVE every vehicle you are even remotely interested in. I drove the Sportage SX and really liked it, so I bought it. If you would have driven the EX and SX back to back, you may have easily decided the SX was in no uncertain terms worth the extra money. I wouldn't touch an EX myself as my last 3 cars were all "sports" vehicles and it's really hard to go back to a "normal" car, power is addictive. By no means is this a dig at you, just a thought.

In my own personal scenario, I am overall happy with my purchase, but almost everyday I wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere because I didn't drive another car I had my eye on (Taurus SHO, Infinity G37X, etc)...but I am a bit like you in the sense I will have to "invest money" to get something else fun next year, a second car for the summer, and the Sportage will become my "winter beater". Lol.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,503 Posts
NO more name calling, it is not needed, and against the rules!!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Deleted post summary-
I bought a 2012 EX, which felt underpowered. Traded up to 2011 SX Premium+Nav, which costed extra. Advice fom my experience:
1. Turbo is good
2. Ignore pushy salesepeople.
3. Sportage availability is limited.
4. Forecasted resale values are unpredictable.
All good advice, to buy the car you want.

Owners with the EX/LX may take performance criticism personally. There is a significant difference (100lb ft torque @ lower RPM is large), but non-turbo works for them. I can imagine buying non-SX in a dealership with limited availability and pushy salesmen, but I'd probably end up doing the same thing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good advice, to buy the car you want.

Owners with the EX/LX may take performance criticism personally. There is a significant difference (100lb ft torque @ lower RPM is large), but non-turbo works for them. I can imagine buying non-SX in a dealership with limited availability and pushy salesmen, but I'd probably end up doing the same thing.
Exactly. That's all I was trying to say... Thx for posting the summary. I was not in any way trying to insult anyone and apologize if I did. I was just trying to speak to potential others like me and offer my experience in hopes it may help them avoid what I personally did.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
I learned long ago to buy what you really want instead of being disappointed because you cheaped out, or tried to be economical.

You corrected your mistake and moved on, well worth the investment to not be disappointed for the next 5 or so years.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts

Anyway, saxman: Not from California originally. Born in Detroit, MI and moved here after finishing college. What does living in Cali. have to do with anything anyway? Hmm, by that logic/statement I could care less what you think about me or my decision. The opinion from a person such as your self means nothing to me and is basically a waste of time even reading or replying to it. Save it for the next guy,

Unfortunately, the image you are portraying is one who comes across as quite pompous, and that you perhaps look down your nose at others who didn't select an SX or who may not have the same priorities and/or income that you do... This likely wasn't your intent, but that's the way it reads... *Your* decision was best for *you*. That doesn't mean an SX is the right decision for *everyone* else, regardless of whether they could afford it.

It's great that you are happy with your decision to go with the turbo. But in the way you went about justifying your change of vehicles, you've unwittingly managed to potentially offend those that didn't go with an SX with the way you've worded your comments.

I hope you realize that plenty of well-off people can certainly afford a top of the line model of a car (ZR1, Shelby, M series, AMG, etc...), but they are quite content with the performance of the basic model. It doesn't build good will in the enthusiast community to look down upon those that may have a lesser vehicle. Afterall, there is always another vehicle out there that is better, faster, nicer, etc...

Anyway, I hope you can learn something from this experience instead of just deleting it and pretending your comments never existed. The car enthusiast community works better when we can all better understand and appreciate the fact that while others may not have the same style, income level, or preferences, they still should be offered a level of respect for their choice of vehicle. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ Right on Dan. 100% agree. Honestly, I did not even think I was possibly offending anyone. I really was speaking to myself or someone out there like myself on the fence about getting the SX. I had no intention of saying if you *don't* get the SX you're not doing the right thing etc. Again, sorry if I offended anyone. It certainly was not my intention.

I really did learn a (positive) lesson or 2. One here and one at the dealership.

Ps... Just to be clear. I wasnt talking about my personal employment situation because I feel I'm better than anyone. It was simply a response out of anger/frustration to saxman's comment that I'm some dumb Californian or whatever. I'm an relativly intelligent family man who made a mistake (for myself as you stated) and really thought I may potentially help someone like-minded out there to not do the same thing I did. I really do appreciate your comments/insight.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Exactly. That's all I was trying to say... Thx for posting the summary. I was not in any way trying to insult anyone and apologize if I did. I was just trying to speak to potential others like me and offer my experience in hopes it may help them avoid what I personally did.
Thanks for not being offended that I summarized&reposted what was deleted. It's presumptuous, but I hate misunderstandings that loop increasingly. Depending on requirements, EX can easily be the better choice. The SX is for when more power is better despite the cost & MPG. It's why they sell both.

Dan00Hawk, I agree, and that quoted post was an angry reply. I've said similar stuff when I've felt offended.

Anyway, I've had dealership salespeople try to hard-sell me the car on-the-lot. Oh it's not the model I want and has the 2000$ additional-beeping package I don't need, but it's the wrong colour so I should buy now. It can be much cheaper than what I want, but a sale now to an unhappy customer is far better than the risk of missing a sale. Never know -- next time I walk in, another salesperson might assault me first to get the commission.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey twin: Yeah, I really appreciate the thought and thanks again. I think I posted the comment above yours as you were posting. Anyway, I also agree with Dan00Hawk 100% and you're right. I was just angry/frustrated and usually don't let that stuff get the best of me. Sadly I did this time. Oh well. Another life lesson :)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
Oh yeah, we all get frustrated and end up saying things in less than the best possible manner. Just ask my wife! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts